Ramathibodhi Hospital Premier Clinic... open to visitors/expats?

BigOm19

Shopping around for a local hospital. I recently had an emergency operation in Bangkok Hospital Udon Thani while on a visa run in Laos, of all things. Need outpatient follow ups in endocrine, gyn and coronary departments and finding it expensive at these so-called international hospitals in Bangkok.

Could any expats share their experience with Ramathibodhi? Are there any restrictions depending on the type of visa you hold? Currently on an SETV, will be converting to ED visa.

It is a good hospital but it is difficult to navigate unless you speak Thai. It can also be quite time consuming on each visit. There are no English signs anywhere and the majority of the staff does not speak much English. You will have to pay double the price of Thai citizens unless you are here on a retirement of marriage visa. If I care call correctly, an ED visa won't get you the Thai price.

Suspect Chula might be a better option as they have had a special pay department available for many years now to treat those wanting specific doctors and foreigners - but that clinic may be the same type of operation and allow access without too much Thai knowledge. At any rate do not believe visa is a consideration for access.

For private hospitals (much less expensive than Bangkok Hospital type) you could consider St. Lewis or Bangkok Christian which are non-profit type and should offer what you need with easy English access.

Ramatibhodi has a private after hours clinic too - but not at all inexpensive. Quite pricey in fact.

Chula's after hours clinic is a good option if you have time and speak Thai, or have a Thai speaker who can go with you on the initial visit.

Another option would be less expensive private hospitals. Bangkok Christian, St Louis (both non-profit), Phyathai etc.

None of these places care in the least what sort of visa you have, the issue never arises.

If I knew exactly what sort of follow-up you need, I could advise further. If it is just specific tests then hospital check-up departments might suffice and there are package prices. If you need a doctor to interpret results then need to consider choice of doctor to ensure you get one with the necessary competencies.

Ramatibhodi has a private after hours clinic too - but not at all inexpensive. Quite pricey in fact.

Chula's after hours clinic is a good option if you have time and speak Thai, or have a Thai speaker who can go with you on the initial visit.

Another option would be less expensive private hospitals. Bangkok Christian, St Louis (both non-profit), Phyathai etc.

None of these places care in the least what sort of visa you have, the issue never arises.

If I knew exactly what sort of follow-up you need, I could advise further. If it is just specific tests then hospital check-up departments might suffice and there are package prices. If you need a doctor to interpret results then need to consider choice of doctor to ensure you get one with the necessary competencies.

Thank you, Sheryl. Will PM.