What are the hidden little gems of Bangkok Night Entertainment?

flyDelight

Some of my favourite places sell local beer. Not necessarily the kind you're thinking of, either.

Nothing wrong with local beer if that is what you want to drink.

But I prefer to drink in places where the clientele haven't come looking for a 90 baht LEO served to them by a farmer's daughter.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favourite places sell local beer. Not necessarily the kind you're thinking of, either.

But I prefer to drink in places where the clientele haven't come looking for a 90 baht LEO served to them by a farmer's daughter.

Local beer doesn't start and end at Leo/Chang/Singha. There are some excellent local brews around.

Personally I don't look down on anyone for drinking either, whoever serves it to them.

Local beer doesn't start and end at Leo/Chang/Singha. There are some excellent local brews around.

Personally I don't look down on anyone for drinking either, whoever serves it to them.

But then neither are you a self appointed Prince.. ;-)

Here’s one.

Take the skytrain to Bearing and from there motorbike or taxi to Imperial Somrong.

Go into the shopping center and take the escalator to the basement; in the back there’s a Thai bar with live music. During the day time it’s mostly quiet but after 6 when the band start to play things can get pretty wild.

They do food as well in case you like to eat with your beer or whisky.

Another one is behind Esplanade Ratchada where there is a night market and about 10 bars some of which have live music.

If you knew anything about Lan Kwai Fong in the 90's you would know the name was not self appointed :-)

I hope that's a large Leo you're paying 90bht for.

Hi Charlie.

Hi Charlie.

I prefer Charles. Thank you...

As others have commented above, why would anyone with such knowledge wish to so devalue it as to give it to every idle gawker who wishes to add another notch to their 'traveller' credentials, thereby rendering it as squalid as Walking Street or Soi 4 Sukhumvit?

Certainly, I know some splendid places of the type the OP asks. I know them as result of decades of experience. They are precious and only to be divulged to close acquaintances, at my discretion, as is my privilege.

Go find your own.

T***

Coming up at Maggie Choo's on Thursday 25th February

Broadway Musicals Night part 2

Part 1 last month was a tremendous success gathering musicals devotees and jazz enthusiasts alike in celebrating classic show tunes from Les Miz, Wicked, Rent or West Side Story.

Part 2 will be the same yet different. The Fascinating Four return to pay tribute to New York's most famous avenue stages with a brand new playlist of Broadway hit shows scores and medleys.

DETAILS:
► 9pm onwards
► Door charge: 300 THB
► Reservations: [email protected]

DRINK PROMO:
► 25% off specials brought to you by Johnnie Walker Blue Label

https://www.facebook.com/events/190780097947715/

Worth also following their main page for details of the other things they have on - https://www.facebook.com/maggiechoos/

Seems none on here actually know any despite claiming otherwise

Maybe they don't know any non-sexual places and don't want to admit it. I know of a great place to get an enema, but it only serves me well.

Just use a bum gun

Edited by swampdonkey

Holland beer rama 2 has the largest stage I have seen in a beer house, good beer as well. Music unfortunately mainly phua cheewit and string. On Suk checkinn 99 the oldest club in Bangkok dating back to 1960, Philippine cabaret girl singers, good.

The student bars on the east-side of the road next to BTS ratchatewi are good. There is an arcade with 7 or 8 of them. Cheap, good atmosphere, not too crowded or dead, and no tourists/hippies like in other central areas. And it's so easy to get there.

200m further north towards BTS phayathai is another cluster of bars where you get a lot of live thai music. I've always had a good time going there, although i've always got really drunk which may cloud judgement.

In my opinion the best hidden gem is the night market bars. Rarely see foreigners there (JJ and Rot Fai Srinakarin). Very cheap, great atmosphere, and you get to be outdoors. Its just tough without air conditioning!

Edited by razorramone

As others have commented above, why would anyone with such knowledge wish to so devalue it as to give it to every idle gawker who wishes to add another notch to their 'traveller' credentials, thereby rendering it as squalid as Walking Street or Soi 4 Sukhumvit?

Certainly, I know some splendid places of the type the OP asks. I know them as result of decades of experience. They are precious and only to be divulged to close acquaintances, at my discretion, as is my privilege.

Go find your own.

I too have come to know some from decades of experience. Unfortunately most of them have disappeared or been turned into tourist traps.

The ones that disappear will be due to lack of profit.

Any business will be striving to get new customers, keeping it a secret is doing them an injustice.

Country Road- just outside soy cowboy - not sure if its still there as its been a while ! The first bar as you go in to cowboy good too - i met a great Thai Elvis and a great Tina Turner there !

Klong Toey market about midnight . Now this may sound ridiculous but the activity of all of the amazing foods being restocked and set up is a sight to behold with just about any food item available fresh and cheap . To see this place come alive at midnight and the activity going on there is entertainment unlike any other in the city and offers so much to buy . TukTuks waiting to carry you and your haul to wherever you want . After this the grocery store seems boring , limited and expensive . Another amazing spot missed by many like the parks here .

Edited by Lumbini

Go find your own.

i think, you are exaggerating slightly. even if 1000 tv members will read it, maybe 2-3 will actually go there, that does not change anything. lonely planet can change a place with millions of readers, but surely not thaivisa.

Have to agree with overherebc.

If you let the cat out of the bag everything changes.

Many examples in Thailand.

Koh Samui

Koa San road

Pattaya a big one

Chiang mai

Now if person finds a good place they want to keep it to themselves instead of making it into tourist trap..

And as far as Bangkok is concerned even more reason not to make it public on a forum. Too easy for many to access. Can get there for price of a taxi.

You full of it. These arent hidden GEMS!

Koh Samui

Koa San road

Pattaya a big one

Chiang mai

Now if person finds a good place they want to keep it to themselves instead of making it into tourist trap..

And as far as Bangkok is concerned even more reason not to make it public on a forum. Too easy for many to access. Can get there for price of a taxi.

You full of it. These arent hidden GEMS!

Yeah, he's not saying they are hidden gems though, is he? I know it's tough to read and use your brain at the same time, but give it another go. He's saying these were places were spoilt by becoming over popular. I don't totally agree with him, but it's not like the post was that hard to understand.

Wednesday nights in Smalls down Suan Phlu way is something of a gem when the Space Trio are playing (which is most Wednesday nights)- fantastic modern and experimental jazz in a stylish setting. Obviously if you don't like freeform jazz and the like then it's one to miss, but I've got a feeling the OP might appreciate it.

Koh Samui

Koa San road

Pattaya a big one

Chiang mai

So, you think we could have kept Koh Samui, Chiang Mai and Pattaya secret if we didn't tell anyone? whistling.gif

If you knew anything about Lan Kwai Fong in the 90's you would know the name was not self appointed :-)

I lived in Hong Kong in the 90s and spent a lot of time in Lan Kwai Fong ... don't remember any princes