Length of validity of passport for entering the UK?

Hi All,

Heading out later in the year to Thailand with the Mrs to see her family. I know in some situations they stipulate to have 6 months left in your passport to enter a country. She will have 4 months, does anyone think this will be a problem? Getting a new passport before will be a bit of a hassle with timelines etc.... She is here on the FLR(M) if that makes any difference.

Thanks

It doesn't matter how long she has on her passport, four months, four weeks or even expired, she can enter Thailand on a Thai passport. She couldn't leave on an expired passport.

She might want to renew whilst she's here, it only takes a week.

As a matter of interest you could enter on a UK passport with only four months remaining.

Thanks but I mean coming back to the uk after also on her Thai passport with 4 months left. I think the timeline is too tight for her to renew when she is there. If we renewed we would have to do it before we went, but there is a relatively long timeline on getting it done here in the uk.

Edited by mrskint

To enter the UK on a Thai passport requires that the passport is valid for the whole length of the proposed stay.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

They don't do passports with no expiry date as far as I'm aware?

Joking aside she isn't a tourist mate, can't think that applies to people on marriage visas given the length of her stay.

To enter the UK on a Thai passport requires that the passport is valid for the whole length of the proposed stay.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

They don't do passports with no expiry date as far as I'm aware?

Joking aside she isn't a tourist mate, can't think that applies to people on marriage visas given the length of her stay.

You must make your own decisions but joking aside, I would check with the UK Border Agency in advance of departure from the UK

Edited by sunnyjim5

As she has FLR then as long as her passport has not expired then she should be allowed back into the UK.

You say that the timelimne is too toght for her to renew it while in Thailand; how so? It only takes a few days.

Better to do that than make a trip to the embassy in London to do it once she's back, surely?

She has checked, it's 1-2 weeks and we are only there for 2 weeks. Also she has stuff planned the first few days making it hard to get the ball rolling immediately.

Doing it when she is back would be the easiest option hence why I'm asking.

The other option is do it before she goes, but the timeline is 1-2 months if doing it here, this would be the second choice.