is this sticky rice and mango season

mascarabertha

Most varieties of mangos here don't ripen until sometime in April. So I suppose that's mango and sticky rice season. My favorite place for mangoes and sticky rice is in Central Airport Plaza. There's a still in the dining area, at the front, that sells all kinds of sticky rice and other Thai treats. Still, the mangoes probably won't taste great.

They're selling mangoes in the grocery stores now but I suspect they may be imported. They're expensive and just don't taste the same as the ones sold during the season. The Thai people have such a fondness for mangoes that they want 'em year round now. There is a vendor in the Tops food court in the basement of Kad Suan Kaew that offers mango and sticky rice, presumably using the "non-authentic" mangoes this time of year.

I went to YANHEE Hospital, over the bridge in Bangkok

to see a nutritionist i see every 6 months for a check up.

I saw a different doctor this time who produced a list of

foods i should never eat, at the top of the list was my all

time favourite ''mango and sticky rice'' i fell off my chair,

my reason for living was over.

One serving contains 817 calories. See link.

http://www.slimkicker.com/foods/thai-sweet-sticky-rice-with-2195882

We bought Thai grown delicious sweet yellow mango for 25 baht/kilo last week from the man who come to our very small local market near Fort Kawila/Ptt petrol depot.. If you buy at the larger markets such as Mungmai, they are expensive (50-55 baht/kilo)

Just buy a kilo of fresh mango for 25 baht, 15 bahts worth of sticky rice (1/2 kilo), find somewhere to sit, then enjoy.

Edit. Just seen the last post...panic...then saw the list of ingredients in the sticky rice. Just plain simple unadulterated sticky rice does the job just as well.

Edited by rawhod

Who eats that much sticky rice when they eat a serving of mango and sticky rice? That "recipe" for sticky rice is enough to feed four people!

Who eats that much sticky rice when they eat a serving of mango and sticky rice? That "recipe" for sticky rice is enough to feed four people!

The recipe says for 4 persons and it's 817 for each serving. I wish I could say I'll never eat it again but I know I'd be lying!

They're selling mangoes in the grocery stores now but I suspect they may be imported. They're expensive and just don't taste the same as the ones sold during the season. The Thai people have such a fondness for mangoes that they want 'em year round now. There is a vendor in the Tops food court in the basement of Kad Suan Kaew that offers mango and sticky rice, presumably using the "non-authentic" mangoes this time of year.

Not imported Nancy; just that fruits that have been force fed chemicals during their off season to get that early or year round crop.

Its the same with pretty much every fruit you see out of season.

Quite frankly I would prefer to wait for the proper season: mangoes april/may/june longans sept/oct than have to pay through the nose to ingest chemicals.

Not imported Nancy; just that fruits that have been force fed chemicals during their off season to get that early or year round crop.

Its the same with pretty much every fruit you see out of season.

Quite frankly I would prefer to wait for the proper season: mangoes april/may/june longans sept/oct than have to pay through the nose to ingest chemicals.

That's the part I don't understand...

Half the posts about local farmers talk about how cheap they are, not willing to spend an extra baht for this or that.

The other half talk about the farmers spraying unlimited amounts of chemicals on their fields, either to kill bugs or force crops.

Being that I see bug traces in so many of the veggies I buy in local markets, I have to assume that the farmers ARE using pesticides, but are diluting them down to almost unusable levels to save money. Wouldn't they do the same with the chemicals to force growth?

Maybe look at the mango trees, they are just flowering. So how could it be the season yet?

Southern Thailand and Northern Thailand have different growing seasons.

Duh!

That doesn't apply to mangoes. THey flower and bear fruit according to the length of the days.. In India, the main mango season corresponds exactly to ours.

Oh, and by the way, duh!

Maybe look at the mango trees, they are just flowering. So how could it be the season yet?

Duh!

That doesn't apply to mangoes. THey flower and bear fruit according to the length of the days.. In India, the main mango season corresponds exactly to ours.

Oh, and by the way, duh!

Are you suggesting that all the varieties are the same in that regard, that they fruit at the same time?

Wife and I live northeast of Surin and have 3 Mango trees. One has flowered and now has fruit about the size of a golfball. The other two have not flowered yet. Last year, I went back to the states in early April and all the trees had flowered and had fruit. When I returned in mid-July all the fruit had been eaten. We have had less rain than last year. Some of the other trees in our area have fruit, others do not.

Duh!

Oh, and by the way, duh!

Are you suggesting that all the varieties are the same in that regard, that they fruit at the same time?

Are you suggesting that I suggested that?

Duh!

Oh, and by the way, duh!

And nothing can be done anywhere to change that timing, yeh right. Fantasy land, dream on.

Mangoes are great. We love them at our house and buy different varieties. But we never touch the rice. There is enough fat, sugar, and cholesterol in it to automatically harden your arteries and add a couple of cm to your waistline. Nasty stuff. Having said that, mangoes are not exactly health food. One cup=25 grams of sugar!

Mangoes are great. We love them at our house and buy different varieties. But we never touch the rice. There is enough fat, sugar, and cholesterol in it to automatically harden your arteries and add a couple of cm to your waistline. Nasty stuff. Having said that, mangoes are not exactly health food. One cup=25 grams of sugar!

No cholestrol in rice or the coconut milk. There's certainly vegetable fat but not cholestrol which comes from animal fat.