PM Prayut calls on Thai people to learn from past lessons to reform country

webfact

""He said all 70 million Thai citizens are dutifully bound to help solve the countrys problems by taking into account the interests of the nation.""

But if they can't discuss or give constructive critism due to fear of being arrested then how are they duty bound?

Is it duty bound to agree with and obey everything he says ?

Oh and be happy doing so,

The country was the best under the reign of Rama V, since than, it has declined steadily, even with

the current monarch with his tireless and supreme efforts to bring this country and his people

into the 21 century hasn't

achieved the desired results.... so I don't see the PM being successful where others failed...

Maybe the people have helped to fail themselves. They watched as we exported jobs here with all the accompanying debt involved. They watched on the new social media how we live in the west waddling out of McDonalds, Burger King and KFC It did not take long for them to become a "we want more" society. They did not fully understand debt but the banks were only to happy to teach them. Kids soon learned how to "milk" their parents for money for Iphones, makeup nicer clothing and the race to the bottom was on. Those that could not afford cars stepped up to motorbikes from bicycles and from motorbikes to cars. In America the credit card companies would stand outside of university and hand them out like candy. I see so many Thai's here that have at least 6 credit cards in the wallet and 2 or 3 mobiles in their bag. They are definitely hooked now.

The big lie at the root of the Junta "reform" agenda, is that "corrupt activists and politicians" are the primary cause of problems.

It is a convenient point of view for everyone else.

By the way, anyone seen that report on the army's investigation of itself in the construction of the park in Hua Hin? The media has become rather forgetful about this.

Hey, Thailand. Here's a unique idea.

When other democratic countries are dissatisfied with their governments they vote them out at the next election.

Just a thought...

But...but...They are offering 1000bt for my vote, beside buying my paddy at 20000bt per tonne...and I can get into more debts...and...

You're very niaive if you think that any party has an advantage as far as vote buying is concerned. Anyone who's spent any time in this country without realising that corruption occurs across the board is either a little bit slow witted or is using it as an excuse for his side's consistent unpopularity in the polls.

You have gave them the worst lesson of all. No countries want to buy Thai products and the baht has fallen since you took office. Phuket has not changed and the umbrellas are still there. You said you would eliminate the Mafia but just lip movement to get country support. All your promises are still promises. Please act like a Army General and concur your countries problems!

Learn from lessons of the past, take into account the interests of the nation etc and does this include the role of the military and their readiness to take the country over every time a senior officer decides it's his turn to be PM ?

Incidentally isn't there a famous quote about the past and repeating it which is all too relevant here ?

How about this one:

Those who have not learned from 3000 years are doomed to live hand to mouth.

Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level.

Like the fish vendor that cut the Russians ear off?

Or the go go girls that beat up the Canadian teachers?

Or the boat captains that keep killing tourists in assorted ways?

Or the coach drivers that crash their coach then run off and hide?

If they really are so far above us foreigners 'spiritually' ....... why are there so many Thai prostitutes?

I don't really have a view on Thai or "us foreigners" spirituality, but if we're using the above question to assess the matter, then we should also ask why so many " foreigners" use Thai prostitutes?

Learn from the past is the suggestion? Honestly all things considered it's questionable if most Thai people have mastered thinking. Problem solving is out. Advancing educationally is out or at least questionable. Love of country is not visible... but me me me me me is; corruption is anti Thai well being. Sooooooooooooo learn from the past? lol Around here the main focus is on eating/drinking/taking a nap/ making love NOW. No yesterday/tomorrow .....

Ignoring the racist elements of your post, I'd like to say many farang could learn from living in the NOW. Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level.

"Us" ? So you're not Thai. With the risk of being branded racist, I would simply say this General believes he has to say something new every day, how ever absurd each statement might be. Any useful utterances then get lost in the daily barrage of thoughts.

Personally I have given up on taking anything seriously that emerges from his lips. I would have more respect if statements were made only when they were relevant, not a daily homily.

If they really are so far above us foreigners 'spiritually' ....... why are there so many Thai prostitutes?

I don't really have a view on Thai or "us foreigners" spirituality, but if we're using the above question to assess the matter, then we should also ask why so many " foreigners" use Thai prostitutes?

Why do so many people eat at MacDonald's?

Because it's there?tongue.png

"I can't make you love me."

Yea you can, send money ! lot's of money

Because it is (relatively) cheap, easy to come by, leaves a passing feeling of satisfaction, and people know that they really shouldn't.

Come to think of it....biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by JAG

because i get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing i am supporting single mothers.

The country was the best under the reign of Rama V, since than, it has declined steadily, even with

the current monarch with his tireless and supreme efforts to bring this country and his people

into the 21 century hasn't

achieved the desired results.... so I don't see the PM being successful where others failed...

Maybe the people have helped to fail themselves. They watched as we exported jobs here with all the accompanying debt involved. They watched on the new social media how we live in the west waddling out of McDonalds, Burger King and KFC It did not take long for them to become a "we want more" society. They did not fully understand debt but the banks were only to happy to teach them. Kids soon learned how to "milk" their parents for money for Iphones, makeup nicer clothing and the race to the bottom was on. Those that could not afford cars stepped up to motorbikes from bicycles and from motorbikes to cars. In America the credit card companies would stand outside of university and hand them out like candy. I see so many Thai's here that have at least 6 credit cards in the wallet and 2 or 3 mobiles in their bag. They are definitely hooked now.

Are you saying the American banks are giving Thai people credit and loaning them money ?

Or just blaming other countries in general for Thailands problems

simple: widely available + dirt cheap.

where I live a 20-25 yo "waitress" (miniskirt, pushup bra, 38kg of bodyweight, on TVF referred to as "bird" or "spinner") in the local "bar" costs 700 short time or 1500 for the whole night whistling.gif but if they like you it could be cheaper (so I was told)...

i think it's +/- 1500 in the west just for 3 drinks in a similar establishment.

as for spirituality: haven't seen much around here in +/- 20 years. a lot of Ikea-buddhism on the other hand clap2.gif

Learn from the past is the suggestion? Honestly all things considered it's questionable if most Thai people have mastered thinking. Problem solving is out. Advancing educationally is out or at least questionable. Love of country is not visible... but me me me me me is; corruption is anti Thai well being. Sooooooooooooo learn from the past? lol Around here the main focus is on eating/drinking/taking a nap/ making love NOW. No yesterday/tomorrow .....

Ignoring the racist elements of your post, I'd like to say many farang could learn from living in the NOW. Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level.

It is an article about Thai people helping to resolve Thai problems. I very much doubt if living in the NOW is either a good idea of a practical one. With no planning for the future the obvious outcome is not happiness but misery. As a saying goes "$1 income, $0.99 outgoing = Happiness. $1 income. $1.01 outgoing = Misery"

As for spiritual level I would put foreign and Thais on the same level. The concept that being Buddhist makes a person good is nice but when you see Thai people praying to Buddha and asking for the lottery numbers, well make your own mind up. Members of the Sangha who do not follow the precepts of Buddhism can not be good. So yes there is potential in all religions to elevate a person but unfortunately, and Thai's are no exception it doesn't happen in real life.

Edited by gandalf12

I am far from being an honest and good Christian Protestant, but I am not a hypocrite about my religion or "spiritual level". still like living in Thailand but placing Thais on a pedestal for us all to admire and implying that Thais are on a higher spiritual level than most anyone in the world? Well take a look at the number of homicides, cheats and scams, plain lying, failing to obey simple rules of life or the law, disregarding anyone but yourself. So that statement is - put politely - not true.

Take a look at the strong belief in spirits, ghosts, buying luk thep dolls a facial treatment, getting lucky phone numbers, paying a fortune for license plates with 9, believing in fortune tellers or if you are thinking of Buddhism then how about monks telling lottery numbers, monks flying high and driving expensively with a mia noi at the side, monks giving special tattoos to protect against bullets - if that means more spiritual than any of us, then I certainly agree with you.

Quiet contemplation and meditation at the temples? Forget it as you can hear the loudspeaker systems blasting from miles away blasting requests for more and more money while there is coyote dancing on center stage and Sang Som drinking on the side.

I am far from being an honest and good Christian Protestant, but I am not a hypocrite about my religion or "spiritual level". still like living in Thailand but placing Thais on a pedestal for us all to admire and implying that Thais are on a higher spiritual level than most anyone in the world? Well take a look at the number of homicides, cheats and scams, plain lying, failing to obey simple rules of life or the law, disregarding anyone but yourself. So that statement is - put politely - not true.

Take a look at the strong belief in spirits, ghosts, buying luk thep dolls a facial treatment, getting lucky phone numbers, paying a fortune for license plates with 9, believing in fortune tellers or if you are thinking of Buddhism then how about monks telling lottery numbers, monks flying high and driving expensively with a mia noi at the side, monks giving special tattoos to protect against bullets - if that means more spiritual than any of us, then I certainly agree with you.

Quiet contemplation and meditation at the temples? Forget it as you can hear the loudspeaker systems blasting from miles away blasting requests for more and more money while there is coyote dancing on center stage and Sang Som drinking on the side.

These kinds of superstitions are similar to where I come from. A minute amount of Thais were into luuk thep dolls.

It depends where you live and the Thais you hang out with. In general, I think the average Thai(no the ones in tourist places or villages) are more spiritual than many of the foreigners I meet here. They are interested in going to prostitute bars to find a wife!

• 1 month later...

Then what did you mention. I must admit I waiting breathlessly for you to explain exactly how "Thais are well above most of us on a spiritual level", because that's not my experience at all.

Or are you a troll?

Spirituality is what I mentioned. If you think this is religion then how on Earth could I begin to explain the reasons why Thais are very spiritual people, especially if you read these threads that are full of Thai-hating posters(yes hating).

I wonder how many of the temples you are surrounded by you have been to.

Ever done a meditation retreat here? People come from all over the world for these retreats. I guess you came for other reasons.

So Thais are well "above most of us" because some of them are "spiritual"? Forgive a raging atheist for calling BS on that.
My life has peace and a sense of purpose, I, however, would not consider myself "spiritual". Many of the Thais I know, who you would call spiritual, going to meditation retreats, temple "sleep overs" and all that other spiritual stuff do not seem to be any better for their spirituality. In fact I find a lack of purpose in life in most Thais I know quite frightening. "Purpose in life" in this sense means purpose for yourself and your family, setting yourself targets - not saving the whale or feeding street dogs. And I am an atheist too. My time in the monkhood many many years ago showed me what a scam Bhuddism is in Thailand - apologies to the few genuine practitioners both behind the robes and lay people.

And back on subject, the army needs to eff off out of politics and running the country. And the people in whose pay they are operating need to be made to pay for running the country as their personal company/bank/fiefdom. Monopolies need to be broken, prospective MPs with family links to big business need to be banned due to conflict of interest and a total lack of neutrality, colour coded media needs to be banned (or at least brought under control so that they can no longer use falsehoods to indoctrinate their listeners), defamation laws need to be revoked or amended so that they can no longer be used as a tool to silence critics, the law needs to be applied equally to all and sundry (drag the Redbull kid back to Thailand by his balls, don't simply slap that underage driver on the wrist for causing so many deaths - lock her up, etc.), be seen to actually use the law and be fair and the general public would soon be behind you (perhaps not the people with fancy number plates or "big" family names who stand to lose their untouchable status). That is just a few ideas. There are so many things that could be done.

Thai people (the vast majority) can easily learn from past lessons, but they are not given the opportunity to really do anything. It is those with the real power who do not want to reform the country. They like the current status quo.

Rant over.

Spirituality helps billions of people around the world. Just because you can't recognize where your sense of peace comes from and what you think is you in fact isn't, doesn't give you the right to criticize Thai Buddhism. The fact that you joined the month-old suggests you are looking for something spiritual. Keep seeking and you will find. I feel very sorry for atheists.

Spirituality helps billions of people around the world. Just because you can't recognize where your sense of peace comes from and what you think is you in fact isn't, doesn't give you the right to criticize Thai Buddhism. The fact that you joined the month-old suggests you are looking for something spiritual. Keep seeking and you will find. I feel very sorry for atheists.

Spirituality has nothing to do with religion, or, a belief in God.

Buddhists are also technically atheists. They don't believe in a God, they believe in a way of life that leads to enlightenment. Seeing the world as it really is. The Buddha claimed he was an ordinary man and he was not to be worshiped after his death.

I feel sorry for you, as you seem to be clueless.

PS. I'm an atheist. No need to feel sorry for me just because I don't believe in an imaginary friend.

Edited by KarenBravo