Thailand will legalize pot, but probably not for 40 years

boomerangutang

Thailand follows US laws re; drugs. The US injects a lot of money (hundreds of millions of dollars?) into little countries like Thailand, in order to cajole it into following US laws. Sometimes it's indirect payments (dare I say 'bribes'), like leaving dozens of Humvees after a joint (no pun intended) military exercise.

Yet, American laws are changing fast. Currently, nearly half of the 50 US states have legalized pot to some degree. Source

You might wonder; Who is getting harmed by keeping pot illegal? Well, the millions of people who enjoy smoking a doobie, for starters. Ok, maybe not harmed, but they're criminalized for wanting to relax with pot. The many folks who are in prisons (some facing execution) caught for peddling/using pot are harmed, no doubt. There's no such criminalization for the world's and Thailand's #1 most harmful drug: alcohol. Indeed alcohol is the preferred item used to bribe police, politicians and other Thai authorities. A bottle of Johnny walker is useful for small issues, but a case of JW whiskey is expected for more important issues.

It's no wonder; makers of fermented-sugar drinks don't want a less-harmful drug decriminalized. Yet studies have shown that pot smokers drink as much alcohol - whether smoking pot or not. So alcohol peddlers should not be worried about losing sales. Pot and its derivatives are also proven to be useful for medical applications. But Big Pharma doesn't want anyone to know that. The reason? Big Pharma can't control or profit from medicinal products which are grown and processed outside their corporate control.

Bernie Sanders favors decriminalizing pot and hemp. All republican candidates want to continue to criminalize it, as do all Thai politicians. Go figure. Actually many Republicans and Thai politicians don't know much about pot or hemp, so perhaps we should excuse (and pity...?) them for being uninformed.

There was a similar thread a few months ago.

Your arguments are clueless here. They are good arguments but they don't apply here, only in the West. You do not understand this society and you reveal this by this post.

The vice economy here, prostitution, alcohol, drugs, people trafficking, gambling and weapons trade are not open for tender. They are strictly controlled and the profits retained by powerful families.

There are 2 methods.

1. Government concession. This is used for alcohol, lottery, etc.. The only companies allowed to take any market share are powerful families who form a cartel and are very much a part of the establishment. The profits are shared one way or the other between the shareholders and government figures who control the concession and taxes are raised in addition.

2. Firm control of the illegal economy. This is used for prostitution, illegal gambling, drugs, etc. The profits are retained indirectly or directly by powerful figures in the police, military and politics. Any competition is ruthlessly eliminated by the use of state organs such as the police. Note how elimination or suppression of the trade is not the goal, control of the profits is. Clearly these are not taxed.

In addition no government here is going to openly go against Buddhist teachings and legalise drugs.

You clearly need to rethink this as you are very wide of the mark.

Your arguments are clueless here. They are good arguments but they don't apply here, only in the West. You do not understand this society and you reveal this by this post.

The vice economy here, prostitution, alcohol, drugs, people trafficking, gambling and weapons trade are not open for tender. They are strictly controlled and the profits retained by powerful families.

There are 2 methods.

1. Government concession. This is used for alcohol, lottery, etc.. The only companies allowed to take any market share are powerful families who form a cartel and are very much a part of the establishment. The profits are shared one way or the other between the shareholders and government figures who control the concession and taxes are raised in addition.

2. Firm control of the illegal economy. This is used for prostitution, illegal gambling, drugs, etc. The profits are retained indirectly or directly by powerful figures in the police, military and politics. Any competition is ruthlessly eliminated by the use of state organs such as the police. Note how elimination or suppression of the trade is not the goal, control of the profits is. Clearly these are not taxed.

In addition no government here is going to openly go against Buddhist teachings and legalise drugs.

You sound like a conservative, with the fixation that everything in Thailand is set in concrete and nothing will change.

Here's a tidbit: When I moved to Chiang Rai in the late 90's, there were no coffee houses. Now there are hundreds.

Thais can change their outlooks, albeit they're slow to catch on to trends. That's why in the title of this topic, I put 40 years.

There are 2 methods.

Nonsense, you've post!! It appears that you’re the one, who's very "wide of the mark", and needs to get a clue. The “argumentative”,judgemental tone was expressly displayed, more on your part, than that of the OP.

If you academically disagree with OP statement, then simply state that opposite, opinionated position, without resorting to "one-upmanship" tactics. Then contribute your own (thoughtful) point of view, to the topic thread, instead.

That penchant for needlessly “putting-down” other posters on the forum, is both childish, and uncouth. Enough already! Grow-up, blokecoffee1.gif

For what it's worth: I haven't smoked pot since 1971. I stopped because I didn't enjoy the high. If the quality had been similar to the gonzo weed of today, I may have kept smoking. Back then, in Washington D.C. during the 1960's, leaf was about as good as it got. I have, however, grown the stuff. It's a great plant to grow, very responsive. I grew it to sell, plain and simple. I visited California in Sept. '15 and nearly everyone between the ages of 15 and 60 seemed to be growing it, smoking it or both. It must be bringing in billions to the recently-flagging California economy. Similar could happen for Thailand, if their leaders weren't so stuck-in-achaic patterns of thinking. I found out recently that a Thai with farmland can rent it out for Bt.500/year per rai. Yes, per YEAR! Think about how much that rai of farmland would be worth if the farmer were growing good quality pot. Closer to Bt.5 million/year.

For what it's worth: I haven't smoked pot since 1971. I stopped because I didn't enjoy the high. If the quality had been similar to the gonzo weed of today, I may have kept smoking. Back then, in Washington D.C. during the 1960's, leaf was about as good as it got. I have, however, grown the stuff. It's a great plant to grow, very responsive. I grew it to sell, plain and simple. I visited California in Sept. '15 and nearly everyone between the ages of 15 and 60 seemed to be growing it, smoking it or both. It must be bringing in billions to the recently-flagging California economy. Similar could happen for Thailand, if their leaders weren't so stuck-in-achaic patterns of thinking. I found out recently that a Thai with farmland can rent it out for Bt.500/year per rai. Yes, per YEAR! Think about how much that rai of farmland would be worth if the farmer were growing good quality pot. Closer to Bt.5 million/year.

You're a genius boomerangutang and you've just solved the problem of what to do with all those millions of rai of useless rubber trees. Please contact the good general immediately. Perhaps you could consider the position of QC but remember.....

First time I visited Thailand was late 70"s. At that time the Thai "attitude" towards drugs was way different. It wasn't until Reagan became president and the First Lady started her "Say no to drugs" campaign that Thailand changed.

Good point. And when the ridiculous unwinnable war on drugs ends it will rapidly lift the best part of 2 continents out of poverty and stop numerous wars.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exactamundo! but please be cautious, re: the info, that you convey, via this medium. Big Brother is also here, and definitely reading these posts. Guaranteed! whistling.gifK?

First time I visited Thailand was late 70"s. At that time the Thai "attitude" towards drugs was way different. It wasn't until Reagan became president and the First Lady started her "Say no to drugs" campaign that Thailand changed.

You can thank the turn-coat likes of Frank Lucas (American Gangster) for causing that to happen.coffee1.gif

You can thank the turn-coat likes of Frank Lucas (American Gangster) for causing that to happen.coffee1.gif

Not sure about your meaning of turncoat, but American Gangster certainly is one of my favorite movies. The introduction of yaba and ice ruined everything.

Your argument is flawed from the off, you assume Thailand follows American laws which is only true when they're forced to, as in "the war on drugs", Nobody's going to have a "war on drug laws". If America legalises it they're gonna care less about who doesn't. Asian authoritarians are manic about drugs and I don't believe they will ever legalise them as it doesn't look like democracy will ever take root here so discussion will never be allowed.

Not sure about your meaning of turncoat, but American Gangster certainly is one of my favorite movies. The introduction of yaba and ice ruined everything.

Even before that the full moon parties with copious amounts of cocaine, ecstasy, smack and the associated hullabaloo ruined it for us quiet laid back types.

Back in my youth there was an interest around the different types of hash ie. Was it nepalese there was discussions around the diffences between Moroccon lebanese gold or red, black opiouted temple balls Thai sticks DUrban poison ect ect,, i suppose for the want of .better comparision a bit like the current vogue of wine tasting.. Im not really ofay with the current crop of drugs but the little I've seen it's almost like total sedation is the criterior, nothing. Of particular interest or finesse ,,. Shame things ain't what they used to be...

Your argument is flawed from the off, you assume Thailand follows American laws which is only true when they're forced to, as in "the war on drugs", Nobody's going to have a "war on drug laws". If America legalises it they're gonna care less about who doesn't. Asian authoritarians are manic about drugs and I don't believe they will ever legalise them as it doesn't look like democracy will ever take root here so discussion will never be allowed.

Thailand does follow US mandates on drug laws, and there's beaucoup money involved. You can believe that nothing will change for Thailand's drug situation in coming decades. There was a time (maybe 60 yrs ago) when all knowledgeable people (about Thailand) would have assured you that Christianity could never take root here. Currently, 97% of all Thai hill tribers call themselves Christian. Things can change, albeit slowly.

The change of mindset around drugs is one issue. The cops and.associated bodies In Thailands fight ,will not want to lose their budgets ie their jobs, chasing elusive drug dealings

• 1 month later...

The change of mindset around drugs is one issue. The cops and.associated bodies In Thailands fight ,will not want to lose their budgets ie their jobs, chasing elusive drug dealings.

Ever-increasing budgets for law-enforcement is one big reason the ever-failing War on Drugs keeps going strong. Particularly in the US, but also in many countries, like Thailand, which are heavily influenced (and lavishly paid) by the DEA, all authorities love the War on Drugs because it shovels piles of money in their laps. If there was a "War on Flowers" which channeled tons of money to cops, cops would love that war also. Another thing the failed War on Drugs does is it guarantees big dealers and cartels big money. Top drug dealers love the War on Drugs because it keeps them in control, and makes them millionaires.

Just what Thailand needs, more dopes. God help us.

Thailand has a heck of a lot of sloppy and dangerous alchies. Is that what you mean by 'more dopes'? ....and there are hundreds of new alcoholics getting minted each day, just in Thailand. I know a Thai who has a small hardware shop. The other day I needed some Rubber Cement (glue). He said he has trouble keeping it in stock because early-teen boys come in and buy it. There's no War on Drugs re; little boys sniffing glue every day, but the War on Drugs will put people in jail for 10 years for having a few hemp seeds. What's wrong with this picture? We expect politicians and police to be wrong much of the time, .....but so extremely wrong so often?!? It's worse than sicko.

OP, your opening comments are a bit misleading. Only 4 states (+DC) out of 50 in the US have actually legalized pot for recreational use, while many have arcane laws governing its use for medical purposes and/or some level of decriminalization. So the US hasn't nearly legalized pot nationwide and probably won't for some time.

I personally think pot should be legalized everywhere, but most governments in the world do not agree, including America. So why are you singling out Thailand?

what's nice is when you go for a run on a trail where everyone is smoking pot. or driving in a car with kids and all these teenagers are on their bong.....i'm serious

and using public restrooms in the library

on and on and on...

smoke it in your place all day, fine. get baked off your skull.....but don't affect others.

OP, your opening comments are a bit misleading. Only 4 states (+DC) out of 50 in the US have actually legalized pot for recreational use, while many have arcane laws governing its use for medical purposes and/or some level of decriminalization. So the US hasn't nearly legalized pot nationwide and probably won't for some time.

I personally think pot should be legalized everywhere, but most governments in the world do not agree, including America. So why are you singling out Thailand?

Things are changing fast in the US. A few years ago, any pot use or possession was criminalized. When I wrote this OP a few weeks ago, Pot was legal in 4 states. Now it's different, and becoming more liberal week by week in the US. Hemp is a related topic, and is also becoming more legal in the US week by week. However, having or growing either pot and hemp will make you a criminal in Thailand. It's 99% because of US's DEA. Without DEA money and pressure, Thais wouldn't even know what hemp is (95% still don't). When Romney was asked (twice) about hemp 4 yrs ago, he drew a blank. When he was asked about pot, he shot back a question, "why can't we talk about issues?!" When Trump was asked about legalizing pot, he was typically flummoxed and mumbled something about; he had heard somewhere it might be good for some medical condition. We expect our politicians, in the US and Thailand, to be somewhat dumb. So it's up to informed electorate to show them the light. To educate them. If left to their own devices, politicians would only be concerned with money and how they can amass more of it.

what's nice is when you go for a run on a trail where everyone is smoking pot. or driving in a car with kids and all these teenagers are on their bong.....i'm serious

and using public restrooms in the library

on and on and on...

smoke it in your place all day, fine. get baked off your skull.....but don't affect others.

If you want to point out annoying things, the list is endless. When I'm on a plane, I don't like it when someone brushes their hair near me. Unless you're a person who is away from all other people, you are going to get annoyances, just by proximity to others.

If you want to discuss really annoying things, how about a drunk driver who plows into a van full of school children.

The fact remains, there is only one legal recreational drug (no counting pharma): alcoholic drinks. It's also the single most harmful drug worldwide.

Yet another recreational drug, pot, which many people enjoy is not harmful. Why is the most harmful drug legal, and a non-harmful drug illegal? I can list a bunch of reasons, but I'll leave it at that for now.

The change of mindset around drugs is one issue. The cops and.associated bodies In Thailands fight ,will not want to lose their budgets ie their jobs, chasing elusive drug dealings.

Ever-increasing budgets for law-enforcement is one big reason the ever-failing War on Drugs keeps going strong. Particularly in the US, but also in many countries, like Thailand, which are heavily influenced (and lavishly paid) by the DEA, all authorities love the War on Drugs because it shovels piles of money in their laps. If there was a "War on Flowers" which channeled tons of money to cops, cops would love that war also. Another thing the failed War on Drugs does is it guarantees big dealers and cartels big money. Top drug dealers love the War on Drugs because it keeps them in control, and makes them millionaires.

Just what Thailand needs, more dopes. God help us.

Thailand has a heck of a lot of sloppy and dangerous alchies. Is that what you mean by 'more dopes'? ....and there are hundreds of new alcoholics getting minted each day, just in Thailand. I know a Thai who has a small hardware shop. The other day I needed some Rubber Cement (glue). He said he has trouble keeping it in stock because early-teen boys come in and buy it. There's no War on Drugs re; little boys sniffing glue every day, but the War on Drugs will put people in jail for 10 years for having a few hemp seeds. What's wrong with this picture? We expect politicians and police to be wrong much of the time, .....but so extremely wrong so often?!? It's worse than sicko.

I mean dopey priiicks, the people that don't know when enough is enough.

I see the changes in the USA also. But a big hurdle to overcome. President Coolidge said " “the chief business of the American people is business.” this goes for law enforcement. No one is going to give up the blackhawk helicopters, night vision, arms, and the truly huge budget without being dragged kicking and screaming. It will take the will of the American people, and I do not see it happening on a Federal level. State by state - yes. Sad really, all those people locked up in jail for mandatory life, families wrecked, when drug use is a Social Welfare and Health issue, not a Law enforcement one.

Archived