Rural leaders threaten to reject Thai charter draft

webfact

Rural leaders threaten to reject charter draft if it is not amended to include central and local administrations

BANGKOK: - Kamnans and village heads issued an unveiled threat Monday that they might reject the charter draft in the referendum if the draft is not amended to restore a provision about central and local administrations.

Mr Yongyot Yotkhiew, president of the Association of Kamnans and Village Heads of Thailand, said today that he would lead about 300 kamnans and village heads to the parliament on Wednesday to hand over a petition to the National Legislative Assembly and the Constitution Drafting Committee to demand a review of the provision in the charter draft regarding rural administration.

Mr Yongyot said the association found it very weird that the charter draft only has a provision regarding rural administration and omitting both central and local administrations.

“I don’t know whether the CDC has any hidden motive in deleting the provision regarding central and local administrations from the draft. Since the charter is the supreme law, I am afraid that national administration may be affected in the future even though the CDC has argued that the provision can be incorporated in the organic law,” said Mr Yongyot.

He claimed that the association has 3-4 million members and that they might vote against the draft in the referendum.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151038

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-16

CDC not worried with threat by rural leaders to reject the charter draft

11-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) is not worried with the threat made by the Association and Kamnans and Village Heads that they may not vote for the charter draft in the referendum if the committee does not include a provision regarding central and local administrations in the draft.

CDC spokesman Udom Rath-amarit said Tuesday that the kamnans and village heads might not understand the definitions of central and local administrations. Central administration means the cabinet while local administration means provincial and district governance, he explained, he added.

Mr Udom noted that, as a matter of fact, governors and district officers should have complained against the omission of central and local administrations in the charter draft and not the kamnans and village heads.

He maintained that even if a provision about central and local administrations in enshrined in the charter draft, there is no guarantee that the positions of kamnans and village heads will remain forever.

However, he assured that the CDC is open to divergent opinions and will consider which sections of the charter draft would be amended.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151168

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-16

so are these leaders saying they are going to instruct people on how to vote ?

that is really democratic - right

The kamnans hold a great sway in their local village, they are the ones who will "recommend" all the villagers how to vote in any election. This has been the way various parties have held sway in different regions.

Yes.

Simply instructing people on how to vote is freedom of speech. The message may be aggravating and opinionated. It doesn't even have to be honest.

It is in a democracy that people are on the other hand entitled to refuse the instruction without incrimination, to fact-check its notions and get equal opportunity to rebut such instructions to express their own instructions.

But if the leaders follow Prayut's instruction to the Thai people on the draft constitution by forbidding and/or punishing criticism, then such instruction is not democratic.

again we see how these morons get p*ssed when they can see the corrupt practices being stopped or threatened to be stopped, everyone knows exactly how beneficial these positions are for these people. They are worried that all the costs for them to get into the position will not be able to be recouped if they are removed form the administration process, thats where most of their "profit" comes from. They dont do what is best for their village but what is best for themselves, our local one allows all night parties. extremely loud music near our house, he lives well away from here so it doesnt effect him apart from making his bank account bigger, none of the locals get any sleep when these parties are on and the local police refuse to do anything about it. The thought of losing the ability to make these extra donation decisions is scaring the crap out of these so called community leaders

The kamnans hold a great sway in their local village, they are the ones who will "recommend" all the villagers how to vote in any election. This has been the way various parties have held sway in different regions.

It's called democracy. Leaders advise the people either take it on board or reject it. After all, the govt's busting a gut telling everyone to accept it.

I'll be surprised if these village heads aren't called in for a bit of brainw...... oops! For a bit of attitude adjustment.

This could become a big issue. While some may be selfishly motivated in terms of self only there are some who are actually concerned that the intermediary role they play will be removed at genuine disadvantage to their respective villages.

But what cannot be ignored is that their expressed view could impact negatively on voting expectations if not satisfied whichever way they are motivated.

Whey oh whey oh Kamnan Style

In other words, our power base and income is under threat.

It's already been taken away by people with massive great guns determined to keep the whole trough for themselves.

How wrong you are, I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that no elections means no election anywhere. I doubt that you live, or have lived in a village. The group of elected profiteers in our village can't be thrown out until elections happen. That means a steady income stream for at least another 18 months, do you really think they care if the army is in power?

It's already been taken away by people with massive great guns determined to keep the whole trough for themselves.

How wrong you are, I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that no elections means no election anywhere. I doubt that you live, or have lived in a village. The group of elected profiteers in our village can't be thrown out until elections happen. That means a steady income stream for at least another 18 months, do you really think they care if the army is in power?

The PYB of the village I live in turned 60 at the end of last year and ended his term. There were elections held in the village, facilitated by the Amphur, on the 26th January this year. The new PYB has taken up post and had his credentials endorsed by the Amphur.

Your parents or friends never recommended to you who you should vote for in your home country.

No. Why would they?

At age 18 I was in the military and I figured that if I was old enough to fight for my country I was old enough to decide who I wanted to vote for.

Under that age I never had a vote.

The PYB of the village I live in turned 60 at the end of last year and ended his term. There were elections held in the village, facilitated by the Amphur, on the 26th January this year. The new PYB has taken up post and had his credentials endorsed by the Amphur.

How long can he serve without another election? I think but I am not sure that the PuYai Ban can serve until 60. So if he was 30 when he was elected he could have the job for another 30 years.

Your parents or friends never recommended to you who you should vote for in your home country.

No. Why would they?

At age 18 I was in the military and I figured that if I was old enough to fight for my country I was old enough to decide who I wanted to vote for.

I don't recall referring to you when I asked smedly the question.

How long can he serve without another election? I think but I am not sure that the PuYai Ban can serve until 60. So if he was 30 when he was elected he could have the job for another 30 years.

You are correct he can serve till he is 60, if he chooses not to stand down or is not voted out by the village (an unlikely event), in this case he is in the job for 18 years!

No. Why would they?

I don't recall referring to you when I asked smedly the question.

You are on an open forum which gives any poster the right to answer any post provided that they stay within the rules.

If you only want answers from specific posters then send them a pm.

You are correct he can serve till he is 60, if he chooses not to stand down or is not voted out by the village (an unlikely event), in this case he is in the job for 18 years!

Could that be why they don't want re-elections every 4 years but prefer jobs for life?