Options for Border runs Australian Citizen

Hi i promised to ask on the forum for a guy who is in his 80s and Australian

not very good on PC .(and being a POMMYCHOB thought it would be good for our country relations!!thumbsup.gif )

He is retired and has in the past been going to Vietnam to get a Tourist Visa to stay in Thailand

but he's making many returns to Australia to Apply there too .All this travelling is giving him the run around.

I was wondering how he could use retirement option

Any suggestions i would be very grateful to the forum.

As i am not up on the Retirement Visa's, so i can explain the best options for him.

POMCHOB

Edited by POMCHOB

If the gent can evidence 800,000 Bht in a Thai Bank or a certified monthly income of 65,000 Bht he could apply for a single entry non "O" visa.based on being over 50, in Vientiane.

During the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the visa provides he could then apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement (it is not a visa) which is renewable annually.

He could also, if in Australia apply for an O/A visa details can be found on the Australian Thai Embassy web site.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Edited by sunnyjim5
  • Like 2

If the gent can evidence 800,000 Bht in a Thai Bank or a certified monthly income of 65,000 Bht he could apply for a single entry non "O" visa.based on being over 50, in Vientiane.

During the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the visa provides he could then apply for a one year extension of stay based on retirement (it is not a visa) which is renewable annually.

He could also, if in Australia apply for an O/A visa details can be found on the Australian Thai Embassy web site.

Hi Sunnyjim

thanks for your time in helping this gent out and with the advice on this subject and also for the link you kindly provided.

We can get Anglo/Australian relations on an even keel again......Until the Cricket that is!!whistling.gif

POMCHOB

Edited by POMCHOB
  • Like 1

Hi Sunnyjim

thanks for your time in helping this gent out and with the advice on this subject and also for the link you kindly provided.

We can get Anglo/Australian relations on an even keel again......Until the Cricket that is!!whistling.gif

POMCHOB

When the cricket arrives it is war and the Assie will lose !

Hope the old man can find a solution and settle to enjoy his retirement.

• Like 2

OP , sunnyjim advice is spot on. Just note that I'm pretty sure he will not be able to obtain O in AU, only an OA if based on retirement. Better option would be (as suggested by sunnyjim) obtain non imm o from anywhere like Vientiane.

Can fly to udon (if in bkk easy) and from there its fairly easy trip by minibus. Could spend couple of days in Ubon Thani. Friendly expat community there.

Edited by jacksam

My advice would be that he should to go back to Australia and apply there for a multi-entry OA Non-Immgrant Visa - Retirement (or retirement Visa). As stated above there are a few things he will need to show/prove (money etc.) and it will costs about $250. Once it is approved - come to Thailand and he can stay for a year, and he can leave/return several times if he wants to. When close to the one year date (at least one day before) do a quick border run - the permission to stay part of the one year 'retirement' Visa will be extended for another year. If he wants to leave/return in year two - then get apply for a permisson to leave and re-enter (each time). Before the extended one year permission to stay expires (a few weeks in case of issues), apply for another 12 months extension of the permission to stay - and the same again in year three if he wants to leave and re-enter (apply for permission each time). I am not expert (UbonJoe is) but I understand you can do that many times.

He still has to do the 90 day reports - but that can be done on-line now (you could do it for him).

• Like 1

Piece of piss. Just needs 800,000 in the bank if single, 400,000 THB if married (I think).

Yes 800,000 Bhat in the bank, for a minimum of 90 days prior to application. Or 400,000 Bhat, if "Officially" married to a THAI national.

Please be aware that if he chose the official married rout, and his wife is under the official pension age, then he will loose approximately 25% of his Australian pension.

Edited by mankondang

Piece of piss. Just needs 800,000 in the bank if single, 400,000 THB if married (I think).

Yes 800,000 Bhat in the bank, for a minimum of 90 days prior to application. Or 400,000 Bhat, if "Officially" married to a THAI national.

Please be aware that if he chose the official married rout, and his wife is under the official pension age, then he will loose approximately 25% of his Australian pension.

What bad advise this guy does not know what he is talking about

1 if married to a thai he can get a non o in aus or in savanaket (no money req)

2 if not married he can go the retirement way 800,000 in bank for 2months first application thereafter 3 month

3 AUS pension is based on individual assessment can not say he will lose 25% (bloody rubbish statement)

The thing I've never been entirely clear about is how the criminal records stuff works if you're not in your country of origin. It looks as if applying from (say) the UK involves a pretty rigorous process, but I can't see that something similar happens if you do it in Thailand or elsewhere. Or does it?

I don't know if that's true, but quite a lot of public sector pensions have rules regarding spouses to protect the scheme from the consequences of a guy in his eighties marrying a woman with twelve kids in her thirties and legally adopting them all.

The thing I've never been entirely clear about is how the criminal records stuff works if you're not in your country of origin. It looks as if applying from (say) the UK involves a pretty rigorous process, but I can't see that something similar happens if you do it in Thailand or elsewhere. Or does it?

You don't need a criminal background check to apply for a non-o visa or to apply for an extension based upon retirement. Same for the medical.

That is only needed to apply for a OA visa in your home country.

• Like 2

You don't need a criminal background check to apply for a non-o visa or to apply for an extension based upon retirement. Same for the medical.

i am applying for a A.O here in australia, for that one the thai embassy require a federal police check, as joe said not required for the other visas the cost for the visa is $ 225.00 here in Queensland the thai consulate has closed down so all my stuff has to go to Canberra it takes about 5-8 days, do require a medical just for some diseases[ not fitness] i do not have the link to the site, but my friend did download the forms it is a form A plus the medical form.

I just filled out a stat dec at the Oz embassy saying I had income of over 65k a year and then got a 3 month visa before getting the retirement visa which is actually an O visa I think.

Very easy cant you still do it that way?

You first go a non-o visa that allowed a 90 entry and then you applied for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa.

Yes it can still be done/

• Like 1

i am applying for a A.O here in australia, for that one the thai embassy require a federal police check, as joe said not required for the other visas the cost for the visa is $ 225.00 here in Queensland the thai consulate has closed down so all my stuff has to go to Canberra it takes about 5-8 days, do require a medical just for some diseases[ not fitness] i do not have the link to the site, but my friend did download the forms it is a form A plus the medical form.

It was never possible to a apply for a OA visa at the honorary consulate in Brisbane nor any of the others in Australia. The only place that the OA visa can be applied for is at the embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney.

• Like 1