Are they still not selling beer on the trains ?

Beng

Use to love the food/beer carriage on the visa run train down to Penang years and years ago, wish now i took more pictures.

Windows wide open as you rattled along, cheap as chips as well. Most expats used that route in those days, talking late 1980's for me

Last time I had to go to BKK it was a no no. But saying that I with my wife had hidden a few cans of Leo in a non-clear bag plus we had one of the sectioned off sleeper rooms on the train. I had maybe 2 or 3 cans and we called it a night and had no problems from the staff on the train. To be honest, the reason this was brought into action was because of that poor girl being raped and thrown from the train. It was not really alcohol related but more because the guy was on drugs and also he should never of had the job if the SRT had done a proper background check on him. Alcohol was not problem, it was a demented, sick human being.

Just plan your trip in advance and fly. It's cheaper anyway, and better than putting up with the anti-alcohol fascists.

Imagine. Some people can do something as complicated as sitting on a train without being drunk to endure it. imagine.....

Just plan your trip in advance and fly. It's cheaper anyway, and better than putting up with the anti-alcohol fascists.

Imagine. Some people can do something as complicated as sitting on a train without being drunk to endure it. imagine.....

you obviously have never taken a thai train.

but hey, if i had a high horse, i would ride it everywhere too.

I love the trains in Thailand and I love having a few beers along the way with some of the food that goes round or that I bring on

Only a few months back I was on a train, it was afternoon time so didn't feel like a beer and only 4 hour trip. I thought, yeah, I'll have a couple of cans before we arrive into the station, arrival only about 5pm and then I started seeing all these no booze signs :/

Was surprised and I doubt it will change but had no idea and a bit sad. Not cause I need a beer to get me through the day but I enjoyed chugging along and just chilling on the train with a few cans and some food, that was one of my favourite parts of being on the train

I love the trains in Thailand and I love having a few beers along the way with some of the food that goes round or that I bring on

Only a few months back I was on a train, it was afternoon time so didn't feel like a beer and only 4 hour trip. I thought, yeah, I'll have a couple of cans before we arrive into the station, arrival only about 5pm and then I started seeing all these no booze signs :/

Was surprised and I doubt it will change but had no idea and a bit sad. Not cause I need a beer to get me through the day but I enjoyed chugging along and just chilling on the train with a few cans and some food, that was one of my favourite parts of being on the train

I love travel by night train and would always choose night train instead of airplan, however they are so dirty now, it makes no fun.

Totally agree, love to travel by night back in the day mainly cause of my loves I mentioned above :P Bit of food, few drinks. I rarely sleep on any form of transport but the bed type deal on trains with the window open and the shutter down getting that breeze on the bottom bunk ... that's as close as I can get to a proper sleep on any form of transport (plane, trains, coaches, etc)

However, these days, prices of flights aren't a million miles away from train prices and also, my days of spending months travelling around are a bit in the past. These days if I have a few weeks in Thailand I'd prefer to spend that night somewhere rather than overnight on a train just from a time perspective