Buying a new pickup: Ford Wildtrak 2016 vs Mazda BT-50 2016

Pink7

Excellent choice, you will not be dissapointed.

Unless your friend has an EV...

I visited showrooms to look closer at Pajero, Everest and Fortuner...And i liked Pajero most.. I did not like the interior of Everest... Fortuner is ok, but i hate the solution with 3. row seats to fold up...But Pajero i liked all..and its a good value for the money.

Pink

Did you also enjoy the poor ride?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

In thai i only slight drive Mazda BT-50. Im dont have much experience in cars or driving..i

Pink

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ev is so ugly a bloated box and Ford very poor expensive service. Yank Tank?

Ugly it is a subjective opinion.
I know many people who do not take back part as something beautiful. and even many people say it is ugly.
Expensive you not give eny proof about..wink.png

In thai i only slight drive Mazda BT-50. Im dont have much experience in cars or driving..i

Pink

and in not Thai?

wink.pngwai.gif

Ps

I still do not understand why you need Suv.

Have you tried any sedan?

or even if suv, crossover why not? Why frame?In you place Not have road so musty offroad car have?
Why derivative of pickups?
If you need to transport large amounts of goods ,why, then, do not look in the direction pickups wildtrack as example?

Ev is so ugly a bloated box and Ford very poor expensive service. Yank Tank?

I know many people who do not take back part as something beautiful. and even many people say it is ugly.

Yep. Compared to the rear end of the new PJS, the EV is a lovely proportioned supermodel :P

Yep. Compared to the rear end of the new PJS, the EV is a lovely proportioned supermodel tongue.png

I love design Everest. I do not like the new design NEW PJS.
many say then you can get used to and then like.
but I'm not used to the design of the Mercedes 210, never..
but its IMHO..
thumbsup.gif

The BT50 is ok, now a bit above 2 years old, 2.2l M/T with remapped ECU, evil car and lots of fun. Makes black smoke too, first I did not like it but now it's fun if you leave them all behind at any traffic light...

Only thing I do not like is the rear suspension. It's too hard and when you drive without any load the car tends to jump. Ford supposedly has done a bit better job, but that may be anecdotal. You can always put 2 bags of sand there.

The BT50 is ok, now a bit above 2 years old, 2.2l M/T with remapped ECU, evil car and lots of fun. Makes black smoke too, first I did not like it but now it's fun if you leave them all behind at any traffic light...

Only thing I do not like is the rear suspension. It's too hard and when you drive without any load the car tends to jump. Ford supposedly has done a bit better job, but that may be anecdotal. You can always put 2 bags of sand there.

if you bought the BT-50 as a drag racer i think you will be disappointed

Cant imagine you will see any Wildtraks with the 3.2L engine in your rear vision mirror:)

Where did you get the engine remapped, did they provide a dyno sheet with hp/torque figures and AFR?

ECU Thailand, now RPT, Guenter Ritter, not a "tuning chip", the real thing.

Maybe can't get the 3.2l, but almost all others :). Which is not really the point, saves quite a bit of fuel too and I usually don't drive faster than 120.

ECU Thailand, now RPT, Guenter Ritter, not a "tuning chip", the real thing.

Maybe can't get the 3.2l, but almost all others smile.png. Which is not really the point, saves quite a bit of fuel too and I usually don't drive faster than 120.

From what i hear he does really great work with engine mapping, they usually simply increase the boost on the turbo to get more hp and torque (within sensible limits of course)

If you dont mind me asking how much did he charge to remap your ECU?

no changes to air filter. or a cold air intake etc?

i have the 2.2 in the Ranger and from what i understand, Guenter can tune them to produce the same power, and more torque than the 3.2 all with better fuel economy.

Actually, when you bought your BT-50 2 years ago, it was the BT-50 that had the better ride quality.

It was the 2015 minor change Ranger where Ford really made the gains on ride quality. Also, the Wildtrak versions have better ride quality than the XLS/XLT's, due to different suspension tuning.

Actually, when you bought your BT-50 2 years ago, it was the BT-50 that had the better ride quality.

I carried a 15m radio tower over from Chumpae to Chiang Mai last year, never rode that smooth. Wife was with me and extremely afraid. The Mazda was happy smile.png

2015_09_14_10_13_59.jpg

Fun to belch a cloud of black smoke behind you when you mash the accelerator pedal like a teenager? DELETED

And two people even liked this post. I can't even...

I too shopped a lot for a new pickup. Since I have no brand loyalty, I had a lot of choices. Different brands have changed a LOT over the years. Just a few years ago Ford for instance had the worst fuel economy of all the trucks. Now Ford is near the best. The company I worked for bought me a new 1992 Isuzu. I absolutely hated it. Noisy engine, lack of power, noisy hard ride and lots of vibrations. You absolutely cannot compare new trucks to old models. The worst truck I ever had was a 4 door 4X4 Toyota. Besides being thirsty, I had many major problems with it. Since some of my friends had Toyota pickups and had no problems, I decided that it was simply a lemon.

To make a long story short, I bought an Isuzu 2 door V-Cross Prestige with the 3 liter engine. When I started looking, the Isuzu was way down the list but a test drive of that particular model greatly impressed me. Quiet engine and a very good quiet ride for a 4X4. Plenty of power and surprising fuel economy. I think I made a good choice and got a good price. Don't overlook the Isuzu.

I too shopped a lot for a new pickup. Since I have no brand loyalty, I had a lot of choices. Different brands have changed a LOT over the years. Just a few years ago Ford for instance had the worst fuel economy of all the trucks. Now Ford is near the best. The company I worked for bought me a new 1992 Isuzu. I absolutely hated it. Noisy engine, lack of power, noisy hard ride and lots of vibrations. You absolutely cannot compare new trucks to old models. The worst truck I ever had was a 4 door 4X4 Toyota. Besides being thirsty, I had many major problems with it. Since some of my friends had Toyota pickups and had no problems, I decided that it was simply a lemon.

To make a long story short, I bought an Isuzu 2 door V-Cross Prestige with the 3 liter engine. When I started looking, the Isuzu was way down the list but a test drive of that particular model greatly impressed me. Quiet engine and a very good quiet ride for a 4X4. Plenty of power and surprising fuel economy. I think I made a good choice and got a good price. Don't overlook the Isuzu.

From the majority of pickup articles i have read comparing all the latest pick ups, the Isuzu is good bang for your buck, warranty is 5 yrs/130,000kms, which is more than most other manufacturers, and it priced very competitively.

But the Isuzu has the most expensive service costs compared to the others, has a 5 speed auto, and engine is the loudest at highway cruising speeds.

Suspension is also a bit highly strung, so it tends to jump and bounce around (no more than the new Toyota:))

From the majority of pickup articles i have read comparing all the latest pick ups, the Isuzu is good bang for your buck, warranty is 5 yrs/130,000kms, which is more than most other manufacturers, and it priced very competitively.

But the Isuzu has the most expensive service costs compared to the others, has a 5 speed auto, and engine is the loudest at highway cruising speeds.

Suspension is also a bit highly strung, so it tends to jump and bounce around (no more than the new Toyota:))

My Isuzu is amazingly quiet at cruising speed. Price did play a part of why I bought the Isuzu. 844,400 baht out the door with a lot of little extras and the first year insurance. I had actually pretty much decided on the Toyota Revo mainly because it was in stock but the 2 door 4X4 without many accessories was more expensive that the loaded Isuzu. The salesman wouldn't give me any decent discount and he totally refused to deal when I told him I would be paying cash. I had to order the Isuzu. They promised that it would be in in less than a month. It took 3 weeks.

My Isuzu is amazingly quiet at cruising speed. Price did play a part of why I bought the Isuzu. 844,400 baht out the door with a lot of little extras and the first year insurance. I had actually pretty much decided on the Toyota Revo mainly because it was in stock but the 2 door 4X4 without many accessories was more expensive that the loaded Isuzu. The salesman wouldn't give me any decent discount and he totally refused to deal when I told him I would be paying cash. I had to order the Isuzu. They promised that it would be in in less than a month. It took 3 weeks.

I bought the 4 door Ranger XLT/2.2/Auto for 869,000 Baht, it came with a bunch of extras, Isuzu engine must be tuned very softly as its a 3 L and makes 177Hp and 380Nm of torque, the 2.2 Ranger makes 160Hp and 385Nm of torque, with fuel figures of 7.5L/100Km. I have done around 750Km on the first tank and the dash gauge is telling me i still have 250Km before empty, so thats around 1000km on a tank. On the open road the Ranger is exceptionally quiet, and very composed and compliant.

Very happy at this stage:)

What spec you got for that price?

Nikki

Nikki

If you are asking about the Isuzu, it is the top of the line Prestige model. It is a 4X4. It has key-less ignition, the mirrors fold back when you stop the engine, a backup camera built in with the GPS and entertainment center, bed liner, running boards, alloy wheels and floor mats plus all the shiny plastic look good bits that my wife wanted. Driver and passenger air bags, electronic traction control and ABS brakes. It also has many cup holders and two glove boxes. Isuzu eliminated the radio antenna and use what they call a shark fin on the roof. I did think it was rather strange that only the four door has leather seats. Mine are nice black fabric that I liked real well, but, unfortunately, my wife had seat covers put over them. I have no idea why. I get well over a thousand kilometers overall on a 70 liter tank of fuel. I think that is impressive for a 4X4 with a 3.0 liter engine.

Nikki

Bear in mind that Gar A bought a 2-door - you'll pay an extra ~200K for the top-spec 4-door.

MSRP on the 2-door V-Cross was 799K last year.

What is the best on safety? suv/pickup? Wildtrax? new pajero? everest?

Pink

Out of those, it would be the Everest Titanium+ simply due to the fact of how many safety systems it has (outside of autonomous driving, I can't think of anything it doesn't have, safety-wise), and it's superior handling (thus more capable of avoiding an accident in the first place).

The Pajero Sport would be 2nd, as it has excellent crash test performance, and some good active safety tech, but not as sure-footed/good handling as the Everest, and there's no airbags for the 3rd row passengers at all.

The Wildtrak is a clear winner in the pickup segment, but can't match these SUV's on handling, and it's 4x4 system is not able to be used full-time like the EV and PJS.

Pink

Don't see why your comparing SUV's to trucks. Best to compare like with like IMHO.

Why not? Im also asking whats best on safety of suv and pickup...We all know they built on same platforms. Who will handle a sideimpact best of a suv and pickup? Suv carry more weight..could that be a benifit? Who have the strongest body to handle impact?

Dillagad, its not so important what you think of this comparing..What is important for me is to get a safe good unit it can be a suv and it can be a pickup.

Pink

Pink

Wildtrax has the highest level of safety features in a pickup by a mile. not sure about the SUV's.

Yes i like the wildtrax,,the dealbreaker is lack of gps navigation unit

Pink

Pink

Wildtrax has the highest level of safety features in a pickup by a mile. not sure about the SUV's.

Yes i like the wildtrax,,the dealbreaker is lack of gps navigation unit

Pink

Not sure what you mean, the new Wildtrax has a lovely 8 inch GPS/Satnav unit

Pink

Don't see why your comparing SUV's to trucks. Best to compare like with like IMHO.

Why not? Im also asking whats best on safety of suv and pickup...We all know they built on same platforms. Who will handle a sideimpact best of a suv and pickup? Suv carry more weight..could that be a benifit? Who have the strongest body to handle impact?

Dillagad, its not so important what you think of this comparing..What is important for me is to get a safe good unit it can be a suv and it can be a pickup.

Pink

Arguably, these SUV's based on pickups are going to have largely the same side impact performance. In some circumstances the SUV's might perform a little better, as the shorter wheelbase means more chance of contacting a rear wheel which will absorb more forces than the tray of a pickup.

Outside of that, extra mass means potentially less G forces on cabin occupants, but more forces to be absorbed by the vehicle structure (on both side of the accident) - i.e. in a side impact, a heavier car will have less propensity to slide sideways and minimize impact forces that way - but sideways movement also means more potential trauma for the occupants.

Archived