What is Your Village Doing?

Toknarok

My village got 40 million baht for flood mitigation.

And everyone has paid 80 baht per truckload to build up their land.

All good around these parts....no stench of corruption...so far

Deepest, darkest Iissan

Now I know why the village got a new power transformer. I have ask my wife if she is aware about any meeting of the villagers but she didn´t heared anything about some money from the government.

Anyway, this transformer will not cost more than 150k so the rest goes in the pocket of the village headman.

He just got elected, now he could get his money back of his bribery.

The village probably got a new transformer because it was needed.

Power companies are not stupid, they understand electrical reticulation, that's what keeps them in business.

Unlike many TV posters

Now I know why the village got a new power transformer. I have ask my wife if she is aware about any meeting of the villagers but she didn´t heared anything about some money from the government.

Anyway, this transformer will not cost more than 150k so the rest goes in the pocket of the village headman.

Power companies are not stupid, they understand electrical reticulation, that's what keeps them in business.

Unlike many TV posters

That’s your opinion.

I’ve worked with MEA/PEA and I can tell you that is not like they works in this country.

Thailand is not Europe were you’ve hundreds of providers were you could choose from which you’ll buy your electricity.

Here you have only 2, which are MEA for Bangkok and PEA for the rest of the country. They are government companies and

they give a f*** whether or not you have electricity, a little bit or you sit a few days in the darkness.

However, unlike many TV posters attempt the same standard they have at home and then call others stupid.

I just refer to Forrest.................. Good on yer, mate!

I am not convinced that anything would ever get done if there were no corruption. Officials need to be incentivized and the only times I have seen things get done was when there was something in it for them. It is not a black or white topic for me.

Wow, Villagefarang, I am surprised to hear this from you! " Officials" should be "incentivized" to do things based on their getting paid to do their job (that job which is to DO things) and also due to the prestige and respect they get from having those jobs, and due to loyalty to their country, their community, and the people who depend on them, etc.

Things may NOT actually get done without corruption but that is not a reason to excuse corruption and conclude it is necessary!! Why is it not necessary in other countries that are managed better?

People are corrupt, because it pays off for them, because corruption is not penalized here and it is in fact rewarded. Take that dynamic out of the story and things would be much better here. It most certainly IS a black and white issue ...corruption is wrong and penalizes regular, every day people who don't get the services and infrastructure they have paid for and deserve.

People with your attitude also help corruption flourish here, because there isn't even the smallest social stigma against corruption, in fact, there is usually the opposite, Thais worship people with money and never question how they got it, and might even respect those that got it by being corrupt, by being criminals, etc, because really, only having the money counts ...have some money, you are great and if you got it by doing NOTHING, you are even smarter!!

That is the worst thing about this country. I really hope you made a mistake by writing what you did above. I secretly think though, that the most/more successful people adapting to the lifestyle here, tend to be people with very flexible values and that explains a lot.

For what its worth, I'd fall on villagefarang's side of this arguement. Corruption has a lot to do with the culture of face. It is not a black and white issue in south east asia. It only becomes that from a western point of view.

Not even been mentioned in mine, but we are in the red heartland so probably wasn't offered it....

Or it was kept secret by the headman as to make the populace hate the military even more meanwhile using the money for himself.

I hear what your saying but if you knew our Poo Yai Baan you would know that he would never think of, let alone do something like that....

mate ther hea monk is corrupt....imigration is corrupt, armed forces and police are all corrupt....what makes you think there are honest people here?

Well I know many honest Thais certainly out here in rural Thailand but I suppose it depends on where you live and who you know.

My local village at the end of last year cleared out, deepened and widened a large storage pond for water. The next village on one side is putting street lights in where there have been none before.

The village on the other side is clearing out all the klongs and burning back the undergrowth.

As I said at the top it all depends on where you live.

Unlike many TV posters

That’s your opinion.

I’ve worked with MEA/PEA and I can tell you that is not like they works in this country.

Thailand is not Europe were you’ve hundreds of providers were you could choose from which you’ll buy your electricity.

Here you have only 2, which are MEA for Bangkok and PEA for the rest of the country. They are government companies and

they give a f*** whether or not you have electricity, a little bit or you sit a few days in the darkness.

However, unlike many TV posters attempt the same standard they have at home and then call others stupid.

yeah ..whatever...I've been doing Ohms and Volts and Amps for forty five years... chuck in a few % impedances (you do know what a transformer impedance is don't you?) and VArs blah blah blah......

Power companies know what they are doing.

They make money.. Maybe you were an accountant...not an engineer.

Unlike many TV posters

That’s your opinion.

I've been doing the same old Volts, Amps and Ohms crap for 45 years.

You do understand % impedance of transformers don't you? VArs might come in handy too.

Why they need to replaced over time? Condition monitoring? Dielectric Gas Analysis? Au fait with that as well?

Or you were/are an accountant?

Archived