Wiring that makes you want to go aaarrrrgggghhhhh.

thaibeachlovers

post-56220-0-51279100-1455777037_thumb.j

I found that when I moved into the house, out in the carport, but no cover over the live wires. The other end of the feed was spliced into the mains wires, OUTSIDE the house, so no circuit breaker anywhere in the system.

It was covered with some rubbish, so anyone could have put their hand on the live wires by mistake, and fried!

TiT indeed.

Typical Thai wiring.

We were having some electrical work done. I bought the materials, so called electritian came.

He got hold of the earth rod i bought, told my wife you do not need that and threw it away.

We got another man to do the work.

well, at least the previous occupant was smart enough never to clean that area. rolleyes.gif.

Does some one know how many people are electrocuted by bad wiring in Thaland yearly?

No but the numbers will undoubtedly be shocking.
.. And electrifying and jolting

Hello,

Since we buy the house, when I have to build or fix an electrical circuit, I use WAGO connectors. All new cable and almost 50% of the old ones are in pipes.All wooden connexion boxes are now in plastic.

Except the WAGO connectors (never seen in shops in Thailand), everything was bought in Thailand so it's easier to replace if needed and everything has the same look.

JJA

well, at least the previous occupant was smart enough never to clean that area. rolleyes.gif.

Does some one know how many people are electrocuted by bad wiring in Thaland yearly?

No but the numbers will undoubtedly be shocking.

A whole lot of them,....but it never makes the news, it's not spectacular enough.....?!?!?!....

Agree, just about all Thai wiring that I've come across, has been a potential death trap.

In a house I was "renovating" I wanted to work on the air-conditioner in the main bedroom, so I got the girlfriend to switch off the circuit breakers one by one so I could determine which one controlled the aircon. After doing it several times I couldn't isolate it that way, so I went down to the distribution board and switched off the main circuit breaker, and I was just about to start work on it when I thought I would test it again, and it was lucky I did because it was still live!

Investigation determined that the "electrician" had got into the roof space and tapped into the main feeds to the distribution board and was running the aircon direct from those. In effect running them directly from the meter in the road with no protection whatsoever.

Could name at least a dozen other instances similar to this, including fires in the ceiling through twisted and taped joints, feeds to appliances and other things taken direct from the incoming live, earth wires being cut off and never connected.............etc etc.

You get the picture, and even now when I am asked to look into an electrical problem that friends have, I am still amazed by what I find.

Those WAGO connectors certainly look like they're made for the job.

I shudder when I see a tradesman do a job requiring an extension lead. Almost always a long length of fig. 8 cable, and twisted and taped joins, and of course, a two-pin outlet.

Even if there are standards here, who would check them? I can't imagine a new house being inspected before issuing a 'permit to reside'.

It's no better in many other ASEAN countries, Singapore being the exception. The only plug you can buy is the UK type with the large flat earth pin and internal fuse.

I once saw a house in Indonesia for rent, and a lot of the wiring had been done with telephone wire. It was common to used bare copper wire in the roof cavity, as it was cheaper than the insulated variety!

one of the saddest cases I read about was an Iranian teenager electrocuted by a poolside light and his American friend was also killed trying to save him in Bangkok. I can't remember whether it was last year or the year before that.

I remember when I first came to Rayong and stayed in a hotel in Laem Mae Phim where the breaker for the shower was in the cubicle above water heater itself, made me extremely nervous showering.

As as I stay here everytime I get surprised.

Last time I searching for a 3-ware cable, flexible, hard to find, okay I need an exttensin cable, maybe I can find something like that....forget it. The block looks like with eart-connection but a 2-pole plug, unbelievable, and it is for many years the same.

When look to other countrys with UL or KEMA, then you know it is for sure okay, but here??? Forget it.

About 8 years agio I build my own house here and searching for a good electro-technician, told him the do's and don't's, after he was finished the tears come in my eyes, so terrible bad.

There is not a good education about that, so what can you expect.

Typical Thai wiring.

We were having some electrical work done. I bought the materials, so called electritian came.

He got hold of the earth rod i bought, told my wife you do not need that and threw it away.

If it was copper,he would have retrieved it later.

As as I stay here everytime I get surprised.

Last time I searching for a 3-ware cable, flexible, hard to find, okay I need an exttensin cable, maybe I can find something like that....forget it. The block looks like with eart-connection but a 2-pole plug, unbelievable, and it is for many years the same.

When look to other countrys with UL or KEMA, then you know it is for sure okay, but here??? Forget it.

About 8 years agio I build my own house here and searching for a good electro-technician, told him the do's and don't's, after he was finished the tears come in my eyes, so terrible bad.

There is not a good education about that, so what can you expect.

Of course their is good education around,they go to a trade college.You didn't do your homework,well enough.

Just to clarify.

There are many excellent and well trained Thai electricians and electrical engineers.

Unfortunately, they are all employed on major projects and in the O&G industry and earning pots. Few / none are prepared to work for minimum wage wiring domestic.

Unfortunately many so-called tradesmen, particularly up-country, have had no formal training and are "qualified" only by experience.

That could be OK, but here a claim of "40 years experience" is often better viewed as "40 years of doing the job wrong, but getting away with it.".

something else I've noticed is that the Chinese made extension leads with multi sockets switch the neutral so when you think something is switched off the live connection is still powered up.

There is so much crap comes out of China, whether it be electrical goods, cars or steel, that all their products are best avoided to be sure. Of course there are exceptions, but usually only where a Western or Japanese company is in control.

I once bought some UK plug to European socket adapters which were in constant use - until one day attempted withdrawal of one from the wall socket resulted in the body coming adrift and leaving the live terminal exposed. Fortunately I was the one to find out rather than my kid. Needless to say they all went in the bin the same day.

No doubt the same product is still on sale in many countries including here....

What's the rest of the house like?

Was terrible, but I replaced all the wiring/ plugs, except in the ceiling. I also installed an RCD. Saved me at least twice.

The bit in the photo didn't have any safety devices in line.

My wife asked me to sort the lights in another house. Couldn't work out the problem, then I realised the wiring to the switch FROM the light fittings was always live.

Typical Thai wiring.

If it was copper,he would have retrieved it later.

The ones from Home Pro, Global House etc are steel with copper coating.

The clown I hired to wire in my shower heater wasn't going to use an earth till I made him, and then he used one of those little ones. I just waited till he left and put a proper one in.

Just to clarify.

There are many excellent and well trained Thai electricians and electrical engineers.

Unfortunately, they are all employed on major projects and in the O&G industry and earning pots. Few / none are prepared to work for minimum wage wiring domestic.

Just like the Expats.

Archived