Single dad ..half thai 8 year old..thinking of going back uk

Binden

Firstly, to get your child to the UK, you will need the mother's permission to get a Thai passport, and a letter of permission from her, as it is most likely that you will be asked for one at the airport, unless you have sole custody. Once in the UK, having a child is like having a gold pass, because you will get every government benefit under the sun. You do not need to stay with your daughter, as you will be given housing and housing benefit.

yes, as Manicminer mentioned you will obviously be eligible for government assistance which may include housing. I know what you mean about staying in Thailand and not going forward, only backwards and the older one gets the worse it will get and the harder it is to get work. Many are in the same boat as you and unfortunately some leave it until it's too late.

Thanks ..no probs getting a letter..just worried am i doing the right thing..been a single dad for 7 years but worried bout going back 2 blighty after 16 years.grey skies .drink .drug culture..and finding work at age 49 next week?cheers

Lots of help for single parent families.

Had a mate do it.

You have nothing to worry about.

Introduce yourself to your local services as soon as you arrive.

They'll get you/her sorted out with a Health number, school, child benefit, child tax credit, housing allowance and more.

Thanks...but will my girl b very far behind at school and will she get bullied b coz shes half asian...lots of things to consider plus will i regret leaving this place after soo long...thanks sooo mych for replies..just need to hear opinions..thankyou

Thanks...but will my girl b very far behind at school and will she get bullied b coz shes half asian...lots of things to consider plus will i regret leaving this place after soo long...thanks sooo mych for replies..just need to hear opinions..thankyou

8 year olds can't be 'far behind', cos they don't really learn anything until comprehensive school at age 11.

It's mostly play, with a bit of reading by age 10.

She'll catch up in less than 6 months.

They all do, even if they start without a word of English.

Bullying's fairly random, can't really predict in advance how that will go.

More dependent on her personality than her race.

Bullies pick on any target that is weak or timid.

And some schools are good at stopping it.

Thanks but do u think i would be doing the right thing going back???i havnt decided ..i suppose im being selfish coz i dont want 2 go really but im thinking off education for my daughter as i cant afford these international schools..plus would i get a job at my age..i used to work for c.i.b???ironic i know..thankyou

^^

It don't matter if you get a job or not.

You and her will be provided for fairly well.

And at least you will be building up you NI pension contributions.

It may not be much fun for you, but she'll get a better education, and her citizenship upgraded to 'full' (that takes 3 years living in the UK, if she wasn't born there.)

her citizenship upgraded to 'full' (that takes 3 years living in the UK, if she wasn't born there.)

This doesn't make sense. The daughter is a British citizen. A 'British Citizen by Descent' to be precise and she will remain this for the rest of her life, regardless how long she will live in the UK.

Whether she would be entitled to some benefits, because she has not lived there for the last 3 years, is a different question.

Really..oh and she already has a british birth certificate?i made sure wen she was 1st born...would i get benefits as well after 16 years outside the uk???thankyou very much for your input

At the moment, being 'British by descent', she can't pass on British citizenship to her children.

After 3 years of living in the UK (evidence needs to be retained, school reports, etc.) she can pass on her British Citizenship.

This doesn't make sense. The daughter is a British citizen. A 'British Citizen by Descent' to be precise and she will remain this for the rest of her life,

But her children may not be British citizens!

As others have pointed out, you will be able to qualify for housing almost anywhere so you don't need to be tied to your daughters location. Do some research. Maybe find some British single parent forums. Seek a location that has progressive and pro-active schools that will meet your child's needs. The way a school is run has a huge influence on the way the students treat one another...find a good one.

I was broke and started out all over again at 40. I was a lot smarter about things than I had been before and was able to retire at 60. I know it sounds hokey, but look on this as a new chance to do something positive for yourself. There are always opportunities out there.

Strange i know..i just assumed she was a british national b coz of b cert

Me too!

Until I had a child in Thailand, and asked what 'British by Descent' meant.

She is a British national but with restricted breeding rights (at the moment).

Oh,

And if she isn't living in the Uk for 5 years prior to University.

She gets classed as a 'foreign student' and has to pay the higher fees.

This doesn't make sense. The daughter is a British citizen. A 'British Citizen by Descent' to be precise and she will remain this for the rest of her life,

Yes of course they are not.

But I don't think it's that straight forwards as you make it out. Children of British Citizen by Descent, who or whose parent's have a significant connection to the UK can achieve citizenship by registration. They are not automatically citizens, I think.

Strange i know..i just assumed she was a british national b coz of b cert

Me too!

Until I had a child in Thailand, and asked what 'British by Descent' meant.

She is a British national but with restricted breeding rights (at the moment).

This does not matter if her children are born in the UK. They than would be 'British Citizen otherwise than by descent', like most people in the UK.

^^

It may not be much fun for you, but she'll get a better education, and her citizenship upgraded to 'full' (that takes 3 years living in the UK, if she wasn't born there.)

Is that a new regulation? I ask because my son now aged 11 has a British birth certificate and passport and I was told by the Enbassy that his citizenship rights are the same as if he had been born in England.

Yes of course they are not.

But I don't think it's that straight forwards as you make it out. Children of British Citizen by Descent, who or whose parent's have a significant connection to the UK can achieve citizenship by registration. They are not automatically citizens, I think.

If her children are born in the UK, the citizenship line is restored, and they will be British. Only if she has her children outside of the UK, will she not pass on her citizenship.

son now aged 11 has a British birth certificate and passport and I was told by the Enbassy that his citizenship rights are the same as if he had been born in England.

His rights are the same.

His children's rights aren't may not be.

^^

Is that a new regulation? I ask because my son now aged 11 has a British birth certificate and passport and I was told by the Enbassy that his citizenship rights are the same as if he had been born in England.

Of course it's not right. The person has the same rights as every other citizen.

The gentleman just wanted to point out the ability of transmitting the citizenship to future generations is subject to restrictions.

20.1.1 Every person who is a British citizen is so either "by descent
" or "otherwise than by descent".
20.1.2 The distinction between the two affects a British citizen's ability to transmit
that citizenship to children born abroad. It does not affect any of the other
rights or duties that go with British citizenship.

so what happens if 2 people who are British by descent and with no other nationality And living abroad have a child together. What nationality would their kid have?

It might be able to become a British citizen, if the child were rendered "stateless" by not being able to obtain nationality in his country of birth.

If born in Thailand, the child would be Thai, because Thai nationality law has some provision that people who are born here cannot be "stateless" regardless of their parents. But this is only a recent development and was contested for some time, if I remember correctly.

All gone a bit off piste now..the point is !!!would any 1 recommend going back 2 blighty at my age 49(next week?)not uk next week????zero savings..single dad..going back 2 a rough city with my 8 year old girl by theway she wants 2 go?thanks

You don't have to go to a 'rough city'.

Go back, but be a bit more choosy where you go.

PS

I'm thinking of doing it age 60.

PPS

What happens if you get ill in Thailand? Who looks after the girl then?

In the UK it wouldn't be a problem, free health care for you, someone to look after her.

Why on earth go back to a "rough city"? Pick another place in the UK, one suitable for a child.

The younger your child is when she goes, the quicker she will adapt

And it sounds like the two of you much need the social services etc that will be available to you there

Archived