New life for old computers...

dddave

anything like this that goes on a USB stick so you can start a computer with no OS or a corrupted OS ?

Yes, you can easily make bootable USB sticks with Rufus. Assuming that the PC can boot from the USB of course, which you can tell by checking in the BIOS.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

is there a universial Rufus download that will start most computers from a USB stick ?

and as long as the computer turns on can you get to the bios to change the boot order ? What F key ? and do they all use the same F key ?

No you just need an ISO or other image file of an OS.

There are plenty of Linux builds you can try at http://distrowatch.com/

As for the BIOS, it varies from PC to PC (well BIOS to BIOS anyway). Sometimes you'll see a message immediately after powering on telling you what key to press.

I usually find it's F1, F2, or F12.

Some of them actually give you a key to take you straight to a boot menu.

I think the Chromebooks and Chromiumbooks are good introduction to linux. One which comes from a well known brand name.

It's basically yet another distro of linux, but done in the way which makes the change from Windows to Linux a bit easier.

It's possibly to install Linux to the old laptops, which support Chromiumbooks. For the non-technical user, the question arrives, which Linux? What is distro, what are all these new terms I should understand, when installing a new operating system to my laptop??

Selecting Linux distro is like going to buy a shampoo from a supermarket. There are far too many choices to select from, which makes the good old soap the trusted hair care product.

I think the Chromebooks and Chromiumbooks are good introduction to linux. One which comes from a well known brand name.

It's basically yet another distro of linux, but done in the way which makes the change from Windows to Linux a bit easier.

It's possibly to install Linux to the old laptops, which support Chromiumbooks. For the non-technical user, the question arrives, which Linux? What is distro, what are all these new terms I should understand, when installing a new operating system to my laptop??

Selecting Linux distro is like going to buy a shampoo from a supermarket. There are far too many choices to select from, which makes the good old soap the trusted hair care product.

Not really; if you have an old, low-resourced PC, Puppy or DSL are no-brainers.

Not really; if you have an old, low-resourced PC, Puppy or DSL are no-brainers.

Tell that to my mother, when she wants to communicate with people.

People don't want a gain an advanced degree of nerdism, simply to use their computers. That's why Windows and OSX (Unix) have gained so large user base.

Android (Linux) has done the same. So has iOS (Unix).

Puppy and Damn small linux are great tools for those who are nerds. Those however are not general consumer products.

Ubuntu, with it's variants, has tried to get the Linux to the limelight, Chromebook is doing it same.

Simplicita necessita est

Puppy is not ideal for anyone new to linux if they want to stay secure, everything is ran as root by default.

I ran Tahrpup for a while but it annoyed me, ended up settling with mint.

Have you ever tried Zorin? It seems like it's a lightweight distro, theres also Zorin lite. Think I'll try it out in VM and then try it on the laptop if its any good.

What are the minimum system requirements that I need to install Zorin OS?

For the standard desktop editions of Zorin OS:
1 GHz x86 processor
10 GB of Hard Drive space
512 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

For Zorin OS Lite:
266 MHz x86 processor
5GB of Hard Drive space
256 MB of system memory (RAM)
Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

I have been playing with Linux, far, far longer than you.

Oh, have you?

Tell me more.

biggrin.png

Since 1991. Being one of the many admins of nic.funet.fi (on vax/vms section though) , where the linux was was hosted prior it reached version 1.

Your call, impress me.

I have been playing with Linux, far, far longer than you.

Oh, have you?

Tell me more.

biggrin.png

Since 1991. Being one of the many admins of nic.funet.fi (on vax/vms section though) , where the linux was was hosted prior it reached version 1.

Your call, impress me.

Oh no, can't beat that.

But I've been mucking around with Unix since 1980.

biggrin.png

Added: src.ac.uk

wink.png

Edited by Chicog

One of my very first jobs was in 1966 running the tab room of a big machinery company. I had no experience whatsoever and had to process about 60,000 to 100,000 cards a day. Even then, the tab machines were old; totally mechanical, all pins and cams. I learned what chads were long before Bush/Gore. The machines ran fast and card jams were monumental...and yes!! Dropping a stack of cards...especially a stack already sortedsick.gif