Major Police Activity at Zoe Area Tonight

PostmanPat

Just wait until the 20th of March - I believe is the date - when the new Immigration crackdown goes into force. What's happening now will be nothing compared to what's about to happen.

What is this sorcery of which you speak?

I may have been asleep and missed something, would be grateful if you could expand please.

I believe it's the new overstay crackdown whereby those who are caught living in LOS passed their visa expiry date will be barred from entering the country for a certain amount of time.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that info. Nothing for me (or many, many others) to worry about. It's only those breaking the law that need to be on their guard, possibly a bit of inconvenience for the rest of us if there is a big show by immigration in doing spot checks on boring and ordinary looking older foreigners.

I still won't carry my passport, for me it simply isn't worth the risk of having to replace a lost one. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe this is a reason for raids to check passports -- as reported in TheNation today -- Alert for possible IS attacks - it appears that a warning was given by the US embassy of possible attacks by the Islamic State militant group

won't let me copy URL

Maybe this is a reason for raids to check passports -- as reported in TheNation today -- Alert for possible IS attacks - it appears that a warning was given by the US embassy of possible attacks by the Islamic State militant group

won't let me copy URL

I cant imagine many Islamic State terrorists going for a night out to Zoe in Yellow , Chiang Mai

I cant imagine many Islamic State terrorists going for a night out to Zoe in Yellow , Chiang Mai

They were looking for their virgins ............

They were looking for their virgins ............

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Security-tightened-following-IS-warning-by-US-30279710.html

So if the worst thing imaginable happened at Zoe, what would all the posters say about the RoyalThai Police then?Why did they not check ID etc, Sometimes police act on credible intel,thy are certainly not going to let us know on TV what that was.

So Thank you RoyalThai Police.For making us feel safe.

Just wait until the 20th of March - I believe is the date - when the new Immigration crackdown goes into force. What's happening now will be nothing compared to what's about to happen.

What is this sorcery of which you speak?

I may have been asleep and missed something, would be grateful if you could expand please.

You and other need to weak up. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895943-overstaying-foreigners-will-face-ban-from-re-entering-thailand/

Hardly a crackdown for law-abiding folks to worry about. When you said it, I imagined some sort of draconian new laws affecting all of us.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

Well, that is wonderful .

Im going out for a beer in CM tonight

I just need to keep an eye out for drunken violent felangs, ISIS terrorist suicide bombers and also Thai immigration officers with AK-47 sub machine guns.................and I must remember to watch out for speeding motorbikes as well

My question is, why Zoe? I've never been there but know where it is.

Did police "undercover intelligence " suggest it could be a hot bed for criminal activity hence the assault rifles

and requiring 100 men to carry out the raid.If so they must have been disappointed at finding only people having a night out

and who will probaly never return.I guess the finding of a few without passports was a "face saver" but you could do that in a shopping mall.

Sort of draws comparisons with the "weapons of mass destruction" invasion of Iraq.

Maybe someone captured it all on their phone in which case it will a great promotion for hassle free tourism to Thailand.

"My question is, why Zoe? I've never been there but know where it is."

They heard there were people playing bridge there.

"Did police "undercover intelligence " suggest it could be a hot bed for criminal activity hence the assault rifles and requiring 100 men to carry out the raid."

This is Thailand. They don't mess around with bridge players.

do you remember 4 years ago when the Iranian terrorists partied in BKK with prostitutes before trying to kill Israeli diplomats -- why are they targeting bars?

Do you think that terrorists have "Terrorist" written in their passport as their occupation ?

Well actually, according to the CityNow article the people "detained" were law-abiding. The raid was within legal open hours.

This is something for law-abiding people to worry about.

So what if one of those checked in the raid was from ISIS, Luckly there wasn't. I am not paranoid, just feel safe when the army, police are doing their job, we live at the moment under semi military rule so get used to it every one it aint going to change

for a while yet.

Thank you to all the lads and ladies in uniform for keeping us safe.

Well actually, according to the CityNow article the people "detained" were law-abiding. The raid was within legal open hours.

So what if one of those checked in the raid was from ISIS, Luckly there wasn't. I am not paranoid, just feel safe when the army, police are doing their job, we live at the moment under semi military rule so get used to it every one it aint going to change

for a while yet.

Will you be thanking the lads and ladies in uniform when they surround your favorite Chiang Mai mall during regular open hours -- stop the movies -- and detain all the foreigners until they can produce their passport?

do you remember 4 years ago when the Iranian terrorists partied in BKK with prostitutes before trying to kill Israeli diplomats -- why are they targeting bars?

Do you think that terrorists have "Terrorist" written in their passport as their occupation ?

I would be very interested in your knowledge about somebody being 'arrested'

You are obviously so keyed up on the matter, but I, speaking through experience, know, you are talking bull...t.

for a while yet.

Will you be thanking the lads and ladies in uniform when they surround your favorite Chiang Mai mall during regular open hours -- stop the movies -- and detain all the foreigners until they can produce their passport?

Yes if it warranted it. most certainly.

for a while yet.

Yes you are paranoid, if you think a load of uniformed thugs arresting people for not having passports is going to deter terrorists.

All it's going to do is stop them going out for a few beers before launching their suicide attack at a crowded place like the Sunday Market.

blink.png

So if the worst thing imaginable happened at Zoe, what would all the posters say about the RoyalThai Police then?Why did they not check ID etc, Sometimes police act on credible intel,thy are certainly not going to let us know on TV what that was.

So Thank you RoyalThai Police.For making us feel safe.

A hundred Thai police with assault rifles raid a bar area during legal operating hours and start checking passports and collecting pee. Does that really make you feel safer? If it does, you're the only one.

I think the odds that this was a raid in search of terrorists is small. Even is there is a risk, other countries at much greater risk of terrorist attacks are dealing with the risk using much less repressive tactics. Are the police raiding random nightspots in Paris?

So long as we're speculating on reasons, I'll speculate this: A person with influence wants to harass the Zoe businesses out of business, prompt early termination in leases, and then develop the high value property. It seems more likely than a terrorist hunt.

I don't have any evidence to support my speculation, just as you have no evidence to justify your terrorist hunt speculation. Nobody has posted a valid reason for the raid, which is why it comes across as heavy-handed police state tactics.

Edited by heybruce

I scanned the photo page (both sides) of my passport into my computer and reduced it in size with Photoshop to credit card dimensions.

I printed it out, laminated it, rounding the corners so it looked a bit more 'professional,' and have since used it at least three dozen times when asked by police, as well as banks, rental agencies, even airport and bus ticket counters, etc., etc., everywhere OTHER than immigration, and never had a problem being accepted.

Apart from a copy of your passport, you would need a copy of the TM7, visa stamp, 90 day? Anything else to cover all of the bases?

Will all of that info fit on 2 sided reduced page and still be legible?coffee1.gifwai.gif

To date, I've never needed to show anything other than the photo page. However, you may wish to copy and carry more.

To be sure, I haven't run into very many Thai police who can read and understand English. They seem to be satisfied seeing something that looks 'authentic.' I used to carry a photo copies of the relevant passport pages, but stopped that years ago when I switched to the small card. As I said, I've used the card at least 30+ times with police, and more with others that requested a passport. It's never been questioned. I wouldn't try to use it at Immigration, but it seems to work well. Even my bank, which has a sign stating that an 'original passport' must be used, accepts it.

SK Money Exchange won't accept it.wink.png

for a while yet.

Yes you are paranoid, if you think a load of uniformed thugs arresting people for not having passports is going to deter terrorists.

All it's going to do is stop them going out for a few beers before launching their suicide attack at a crowded place like the Sunday Market.

blink.png

So you think the Royal Thai Police are uniformed thugs? you have to do better than that .tell the wife of my neighbour whose husband was wiped out on point duty by a pick up truck, was he a thug too?

I scanned the photo page (both sides) of my passport into my computer and reduced it in size with Photoshop to credit card dimensions.

I printed it out, laminated it, rounding the corners so it looked a bit more 'professional,' and have since used it at least three dozen times when asked by police, as well as banks, rental agencies, even airport and bus ticket counters, etc., etc., everywhere OTHER than immigration, and never had a problem being accepted.

Apart from a copy of your passport, you would need a copy of the TM7, visa stamp, 90 day? Anything else to cover all of the bases?

Will all of that info fit on 2 sided reduced page and still be legible?coffee1.gifwai.gif

To date, I've never needed to show anything other than the photo page. However, you may wish to copy and carry more.

To be sure, I haven't run into very many Thai police who can read and understand English. They seem to be satisfied seeing something that looks 'authentic.' I used to carry a photo copies of the relevant passport pages, but stopped that years ago when I switched to the small card. As I said, I've used the card at least 30+ times with police, and more with others that requested a passport. It's never been questioned. I wouldn't try to use it at Immigration, but it seems to work well. Even my bank, which has a sign stating that an 'original passport' must be used, accepts it.

Not my experience. Went in to SK to buy dollars. Thai drivers license wouldn't cut it. Went back to my car and got a copy of my passport. They accepted that.

LOL....must have passport or taken to jail!!!! Fined!!!! Imagine if they did this in USA??

Now you are scared, will pay fine and smile, and next week it will get worse!!!!

Don't worry.......I will "like" your post when you exclaim, "Leaving Thailand after all money taken, property confiscated, and banned for 100-years."

I'm kidding, I"m kidding.... I got a passport tattoo on my forehead for such reasons...

Next crackdown is going to be HUGE!!!

haha

sk money exchange accepts my thai drivers license every time... surprises me that they won't take a photo copy of passport... maybe they just like my handsum face

Hmmm.... I'm not familiar with this place. If you will give me its location, I'll go there today and give it a try.

It will be an interesting experiment. If they don't accept it, it will certainly be a 'first' for me, in many years.

The place I usually change money doesn't require ANY identification.

It doesnt sound like these latest raids are terrorist related, more an opportunity to harrass foreihners and busy places. The fact that they were urine testing as well suggests more about drugs and passport / visa issues.

Believe there was one in RCA in Bangkok as well. Interesting that Zoe ss yellow was chosen, heard about the placd but never been there.