Major Police Activity at Zoe Area Tonight

PostmanPat

I scanned the photo page (both sides) of my passport into my computer and reduced it in size with Photoshop to credit card dimensions.

I printed it out, laminated it, rounding the corners so it looked a bit more 'professional,' and have since used it at least three dozen times when asked by police, as well as banks, rental agencies, even airport and bus ticket counters, etc., etc., everywhere OTHER than immigration, and never had a problem being accepted.

Apart from a copy of your passport, you would need a copy of the TM7, visa stamp, 90 day? Anything else to cover all of the bases?

Will all of that info fit on 2 sided reduced page and still be legible?coffee1.gifwai.gif

To date, I've never needed to show anything other than the photo page. However, you may wish to copy and carry more.

To be sure, I haven't run into very many Thai police who can read and understand English. They seem to be satisfied seeing something that looks 'authentic.' I used to carry a photo copies of the relevant passport pages, but stopped that years ago when I switched to the small card. As I said, I've used the card at least 30+ times with police, and more with others that requested a passport. It's never been questioned. I wouldn't try to use it at Immigration, but it seems to work well. Even my bank, which has a sign stating that an 'original passport' must be used, accepts it.

Used to do the same thing when I lived here permanently, without the laminex, nice touch though. Always did the job back then.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now according to this post there is something also happening along Jomtien Beach in Pattaya . It doesn't specifically mention checking for passports but it will be interesting to monitor developments. it seems like lots of police activity all over the place

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896563-saturday-jomtien-beach-swamped-with-police-army-and-officials/

My goodness, I just read the CityNew article. It said the "raid" occurred at 10 pm! Hardly a time of "out-of-hours" drinking and that no drugs, weapons or dangerous items were found on any of the "party-goers" after the 100 police detained everyone. Also, it says they did urine tests (implying the tourists weren't taken to the station, but rather the testing was done on-the-spot) but no one was found to be using illicit drugs (wow!) and said those without a passport were taken to the police station for "processing". It went on to say that no one was found to be on overstay.

My first thought when hearing the news of this raid was "well, everyone knows you shouldn't be out drinking after 12.00 midnight", but I was wrong. This is so excessive. The raid was at 10 pm and no one was found to be in violation of anything.

I wonder how long it will be before they come to raid XXXX's at 10 pm? I've been know to be there at that excessive late hour, still sipping a red wine. Good thing I always wear dresses. It will preserve my modesty when I have to pee in the cup in public. (and I always carry my passport with me -- take that BIB!)

Edit: to remove the name of my local

I'm more concerned about when the day arrives (and it will at this rate) when you're innocently walking along Huay Kaew Road and a pickup truck suddenly pulls up alongside you and somebody gets out and demands that you show them your papersbah.gif

And the apologists will be posting on TV "I just tatttoo'ed my numbers on my arm.. Whats the problem"..

Apologies for the Godwin, but anyone that doesnt recognize the slide in ease of stay, tolerance, value for money, and appreciation of the direct foriegn exchange residents and long stay tourists bring.. Well its denial.. Sure "it doesnt affect me, I am in bed by 9pm and I would never be found out with the riff raff" etc might be a fine excuse, but theres a trend.. And simply sticking your head in the sand doesnt make that trend any the less real.

I wonder how long it will be before they come to raid XXXX's at 10 pm? I've been know to be there at that excessive late hour, still sipping a red wine. Good thing I always wear dresses. It will preserve my modesty when I have to pee in the cup in public. (and I always carry my passport with me -- take that BIB!)

I'm more concerned about when the day arrives (and it will at this rate) when you're innocently walking along Huay Kaew Road and a pickup truck suddenly pulls up alongside you and somebody gets out and demands that you show them your papersbah.gif

And the apologists will be posting on TV "I just tatttoo'ed my numbers on my arm.. Whats the problem"..

Apologies for the Godwin, but anyone that doesnt recognize the slide in ease of stay, tolerance, value for money, and appreciation of the direct foriegn exchange residents and long stay tourists bring.. Well its denial.. Sure "it doesnt affect me, I am in bed by 9pm and I would never be found out with the riff raff" etc might be a fine excuse, but theres a trend.. And simply sticking your head in the sand doesnt make that trend any the less real.

Its quite clear that felangs who stay in Thailand long term are not really wanted here by the authorities .

I was at immigration yesterday and there is a slogan on the wall "Out with the bad and in with the good"

Its quite clear that felangs who stay in Thailand long term are not really wanted here by the authorities .

I was at immigration yesterday and there is a slogan on the wall "Out with the bad and in with the good"

All depends on the definition of "bad" and "good" . Is this something else also open to interpretation and if so whose interpretation.

You apparently have not been stopped at a roadblock or in a bar when the army is in control. ONLY a passport will do.

I have. Several times. Especially on motorcycle rides along the border regions (military road blocks everywhere!) as well as here in town near Thapae Gate when there was a stronger military presence here in town. Never had a problem using my little card. I've used it with police, army, banks, rentals, airports and trains.... Never a second glance with it.

While it's true that I probably won't be scooped up in a bar-room raid, I do run in to the very same situations that other folks do. They just don't seem to turn into the dramas I read about here. Does make me wonder...

To date, I've never needed to show anything other than the photo page. However, you may wish to copy and carry more.

To be sure, I haven't run into very many Thai police who can read and understand English. They seem to be satisfied seeing something that looks 'authentic.' I used to carry a photo copies of the relevant passport pages, but stopped that years ago when I switched to the small card. As I said, I've used the card at least 30+ times with police, and more with others that requested a passport. It's never been questioned. I wouldn't try to use it at Immigration, but it seems to work well. Even my bank, which has a sign stating that an 'original passport' must be used, accepts it.

Used to do the same thing when I lived here permanently, without the laminex, nice touch though. Always did the job back then.

I've live here for 15 years. Never had a problem with it. I ran a business here for 10 years before I retired. I was ALWAYS dealing with the local bureaucracy. And while it's true that I needed to use my regular passport for issuance of my business documents and work permit, I just used the small card when re-visiting the offices for other needs. That was always accepted.

For the tl:dr brigade... you have two choices - carry or don't carry your passport.

If you choose the latter option; you may be "detained" (which will feel like being arrested) until such a point as someone else produces your passport for you.

You must understand that simply being detained and actually being arrested are two very different situations .

Once you have been arrested, your crime is logged and you have to attend a Court hearing for your crime .

Simply being detained means you just have to show your passport and you are free to go and you wont have to attend Court .

Everyone in Thailand is required to show I.D upon demand, even Thai people .

The question is : Do you get prosecuted simply for not carrying your passport around at all times ?

This isnt about whether you get held until you produce, its about whether you get prosecuted or not

Being arrested does not always end up with a court appearance.

The court appearance only comes about if they charge you for a particular offence.

It is quite possible they could arrest you for something, then later release you when they realise they do not have sufficient evidence to press charges.

Between 'apologists' and 'circus pants' we need to start a 'Cliche Club' on ThaiVisa!

Let's assume for a moment that you are correct, and I'm NOT saying you're wrong; there is a 'trend' negatively affecting foreign residents and long-stay tourists.

What will you do about it?

Was at Spicy in Chiang Mai last night, 20 customers at 11:30pm. Enter the cops, about 20 of them along with 15 tourist police girls who looked like volunteers. Megaphone announced everyone was requested to show passports, one cop had an assault rifle. Overkill. More cops than customers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

unreal... i've only been to Spicy a few times the past few months, but never anything happened like this. Sure, there were cops, but not like this. Before they came around 1 am and there were only a few.... and not carrying assault rifles. What is going on with Chiang Mai and Pattaya with all these raids? Does Thailand want no tourists or what?

For the tl:dr brigade... you have two choices - carry or don't carry your passport.

If you choose the latter option; you may be "detained" (which will feel like being arrested) until such a point as someone else produces your passport for you.

You must understand that simply being detained and actually being arrested are two very different situations .

Once you have been arrested, your crime is logged and you have to attend a Court hearing for your crime .

Simply being detained means you just have to show your passport and you are free to go and you wont have to attend Court .

The question is : Do you get prosecuted simply for not carrying your passport around at all times ?

This isnt about whether you get held until you produce, its about whether you get prosecuted or not

The court appearance only comes about if they charge you for a particular offence.

It is quite possible they could arrest you for something, then later release you when they realise they do not have sufficient evidence to press charges.

In this situation that we are talking about, not being in possession of your passport , its a clear cut case .

If you were to get arrested for not showing the Police your passport , then thats all the evidence there .

There is no way that you can plead not guilty and therefore the case wouldnt get dropped, thats indeed if they did arrest you for not having your passport on you

In this situation that we are talking about, not being in possession of your passport , its a clear cut case .

If you were to get arrested for not showing the Police your passport , then thats all the evidence there .

There is no way that you can plead not guilty and therefore the case wouldnt get dropped, thats indeed if they did arrest you for not having your passport on you

I am pretty sure it would not end up in a court case.

O.k., so they arrest you for not being in possession of your passport. This does not mean that they will immediately press charges, if they did there would be a court date set.

So eventually you manage to get your passport to the police station, via your wife, friend or whoever, once they inspect it and acknowledge everything in your passport is correct, they will then release you without charges.

Between 'apologists' and 'circus pants' we need to start a 'Cliche Club' on ThaiVisa!

Let's assume for a moment that you are correct, and I'm NOT saying you're wrong; there is a 'trend' negatively affecting foreign residents and long-stay tourists.

I just flew to the UK (near my brother), arranged a low key (read cheap and secure) place to live as a base, opened a corporation which will make remote income enough to fund the experiment and will be returning in maybe May depending on cold and weather... From that I will probably look to set up a villa somewhere in spain within a year thats again small and secure, easy to lock down, and commute between the 2. Spains not exactly my first choice but I am concious my mums not getting any younger and I probably need to be closer rather than heading NZ / Oz / South America, all of which are on my 'maybe' list.

I am currently puzzling how to fly my dog back to the UK without him spending 4 months in quarantine.. I am not leaving my dog. End of discussion on that.

Its vague at the moment, but is a huge shift from my previous plan of using 5 rai to build a 'forever home' and 8 or so small retirement type pool houses just south of the city.. But hey, Thailand doesnt want me to remit 25 + mil or so into the country, their call.. Plenty of places I can live, I have ample assets to live anywhere I want, the jumping through hoops to be tolerated is getting old. One time a year visas and dont ever work here ?? OK that I can do.. TM28's and every time I stay in a hotel or fly in and out ?? forgedaboutit !!

"I am pretty sure it would not end up in a court case.

O.k., so they arrest you for not being in possession of your passport. This does not mean that they will immediately press charges, if they did there would be a court date set.

So eventually you manage to get your passport to the police station, via your wife, friend or whoever, once they inspect it and acknowledge everything in your passport is correct, they will then release you without charges."

No, if they would have arrested you for not having your passport on your person, then they would have charged you with that offence and you wouldnt have beev released, even if someone did go and get your passport.

Why would they arrest you for not having your passport on you, if that isnt an offence ?

I think you're right, only a matter of time.

I was also thinking of Spain, but Spanish property just got 10% more expensive in the last month (Pound/Euro).

So eventually you manage to get your passport to the police station, via your wife, friend or whoever, once they inspect it and acknowledge everything in your passport is correct, they will then release you without charges."

No, if they would have arrested you for not having your passport on your person, then they would have charged you with that offence and you wouldnt have beev released, even if someone did go and get your passport.

Why would they arrest you for not having your passport on you, if that isnt an offence ?

So you are telling me, that everyone who gets arrested is charged and ends up in court ?

Utter nonsense.

If it were to go to court, the judge would seriously ask the question: Why did you waste the time and money to bring this case to court.

The police may suggest, illegally, you pay their fine inside the station, and we all know where that money ends up. But I can tell you, categorically, they will not put it through the court system.

I think you're right, only a matter of time.

I was also thinking of Spain, but Spanish property just got 10% more expensive in the last month (Pound/Euro).

Well cost isnt the issue.. And I am mostly Gold and USD.. Spain has some ghastly areas but I remember Estepona being nice.. My old fella has a couple of homes in Morocco one at the beach, one in the mountains, so far south makes for easy family hops. Some of Portugal appealing and cheap.

Theres a huge wide world out there, and I am not giving up on life here 100% yet, but I have recently decided to establish a life outside of the country and have totally reversed the idea of remitting 10s of millions THB into a project here. Maybe the insurance policy wont need cashing, so I am out 10 or 20 grand over then next year or two, while visiting my folks, having a summer in Europe, etc.. boo hoo.. Thailand will still be here should I decide not to go. Not feeling trapped or over committed is well worth the cost of that insurance.

Honestly my biggest hangup right now in this mix is my dog.. The missus can tag along if she wants, if shes not happy outside of Thailand, well up to her.. But I will not ever abandon my dog like you see expats doing so often. Gets even harder when I would rather do it 50/50 for a year or two..

So you are telling me, that everyone who gets arrested is charged and ends up in court ?

Utter nonsense.

If it were to go to court, the judge would seriously ask the question: Why did you waste the time and money to bring this case to court.

The police may suggest, illegally, you pay their fine inside the station, and we all know where that money ends up. But I can tell you, categorically, they will not put it through the court system.

ERRRmmm, no, Im saying that they dont get arrested in the first place

I believe the correct wording is that you're "detained" by the police until someone can bring your passport to them.

Nancy is correct. In CM you ate detained at the police station until someone brings in your passport. Several of my friends have played this game.

My passport is locked in a safe that is in a condo that I keep locked when I'm not in it. The safe requires a key and combination that only I have. If I'm taken in for not having the passport with me it will be a problem.

However in almost ten years of living in Thailand, and visits in the five years before, I have only been stopped by the police and asked for my passport once--during a police ID check in a student bar in Khon Kaen fourteen years ago. They accepted the paper copy I had with me.

It probably helps that I'm older and "respectable" (boring) in appearance. It allows me to get away with more. I'll continue to leave my passport in my safe and carry a paper copy and my Thai motorbike license.

So when someone is not free to leave, taken to a police station against their will, and held at a police officers discretion..

What is that ?? 'invited for talks' ??

Get real..

According to a bar owning friend of mine there is a general crack down on bars from now until the 24th. It seems that quite apart from customers the bar owners are being checked to ensure that they are complying with regulations. So it seems that the central city & entertainment areas could be seeing more raids for a short time.

Why the 24th?

I've noticed in the Nimmanhamin area a small increase in police visibility this past week, more drive by's and they entered Dayli last Wednesday to check the ID's at a table of young Thai people (I assumed for underage drinkers, apparently everyone was of age). However even in the bad old days in the year following the coup I didn't see anything as bad as what happened at the Zoe area.

the more i read, the more i get depressed.

is thailand even worth being in anymore?

It is... to many of us. And not depressing. It is what it is.

It's not going to change to suit your desires nor mine. Learn to deal with it in a positive manner and you'll be a lot happier. This does NOT mean you have to ignore what is going on. It means you need to learn how to accept it for what it is.

So when someone is not free to leave, taken to a police station against their will, and held at a police officers discretion..

What is that ?? 'invited for talks' ??

Get real..

That is classified as being "detained?

I just flew to the UK (near my brother), arranged a low key (read cheap and secure) place to live as a base, opened a corporation which will make remote income enough to fund the experiment and will be returning in maybe May depending on cold and weather... From that I will probably look to set up a villa somewhere in spain within a year thats again small and secure, easy to lock down, and commute between the 2. Spains not exactly my first choice but I am concious my mums not getting any younger and I probably need to be closer rather than heading NZ / Oz / South America, all of which are on my 'maybe' list.

I am currently puzzling how to fly my dog back to the UK without him spending 4 months in quarantine.. I am not leaving my dog. End of discussion on that.

Its vague at the moment, but is a huge shift from my previous plan of using 5 rai to build a 'forever home' and 8 or so small retirement type pool houses just south of the city.. But hey, Thailand doesnt want me to remit 25 + mil or so into the country, their call.. Plenty of places I can live, I have ample assets to live anywhere I want, the jumping through hoops to be tolerated is getting old. One time a year visas and dont ever work here ?? OK that I can do.. TM28's and every time I stay in a hotel or fly in and out ?? forgedaboutit !!

A very workable plan for those who feel the need to leave. I hope it works out for you.

Personally, I don't feel any such pressure (i.e. the trend to which you refer,) and find no reason for personal planning along these lines. My parents are long gone, and there is no particular incentive to return to the States. I find retirement living quite comfortable here in Chiang Mai. If, in the future, life does become less enjoyable because of new or more stringent restrictions, we are free to pick up and go. The cat already has her microchip in place from several international trips, so even she wouldn't be a problem. I just don't see that happening, though.

My question is, why Zoe? I've never been there but know where it is.

Did police "undercover intelligence " suggest it could be a hot bed for criminal activity hence the assault rifles

and requiring 100 men to carry out the raid.If so they must have been disappointed at finding only people having a night out

and who will probaly never return.I guess the finding of a few without passports was a "face saver" but you could do that in a shopping mall.

Sort of draws comparisons with the "weapons of mass destruction" invasion of Iraq.

Maybe someone captured it all on their phone in which case it will a great promotion for hassle free tourism to Thailand.

Edited by Sparkles

My question is why Zoe? I've never been there but know where it is.

It's usually to do with 'tea money' or who owns it.

Not to mention the bouncers there are pretty vicious, it's been closed before after they beat up a foreigner.

It's also a hangout for hookers ...... all 'the lounge' girls moved over there a while back.

Pick your reason!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Just wait until the 20th of March - I believe is the date - when the new Immigration crackdown goes into force. What's happening now will be nothing compared to what's about to happen.

What is this sorcery of which you speak?

I may have been asleep and missed something, would be grateful if you could expand please.

Just wait until the 20th of March - I believe is the date - when the new Immigration crackdown goes into force. What's happening now will be nothing compared to what's about to happen.

What is this sorcery of which you speak?

I may have been asleep and missed something, would be grateful if you could expand please.

You and other need to weak up. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/895943-overstaying-foreigners-will-face-ban-from-re-entering-thailand/