Changing from Elite to Non-O with WP

Currently I'm on an elite visa and still have 3.5 years left. However, I recently invested in a restaurant which turned out to have huge potential here in Thailand. I am the director and hold 49% of the shares and I would like to work in it as well. Obviously I can't apply for a WP on my Elite visa.

I am also the legal father (I posses a rap rong boot) of my 3 yr old daughter. I am not legally married.

My plan is the apply for a single entry O visa with the birth certificate of my child. Then apply for a year extension based of being the parent of the Thai child. I have a few million in a Thai bank for almost 2 years now.

Then when I get the year extension, apply for a work permit.

Is this possible? Or should I apply for a B visa instead?

Also, when I enter Thailand on a single entry O visa, and they ask me if I work in Thailand, can I say I will apply for a work permit later? Or is that not a smart thing to do? I have the same question for when I apply for the year extension.

Im a little paranoid when it comes to immigration because I have been denied entry once on the suspicion of working illegally in Thailand and not having enough funds on me.And that isn't a pleasant experience, especially when you have a family and multiple properties here...

• Like 1

I assume the transliteration you posted means you have documents to prove you are the legal father of your child by way of legitimization. You will need that to apply for the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You should be able to get a work permit with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. But there are a few work permit offices that may not want to do it and insist you need a non-b visa. You should check with your local office before going forward with your plans.

When you enter the country with a non-o visa you will not be asked if you are working or if you have a work permit.

You should talk to the Thai Elite staff about what you plan on doing. Assisting with a work permit and etc is part of the services they state you get with your membership. You will still be entitled to the services you get from your membership even after you stop using the PE visa.

• Like 1

I don't think you can work on a non-O that has been granted for being a parent - only as the spouse of a Thai. Regardless, recently at immigration in Chaengwattana they have questioned a number of my married staff why they want non-O visas and not non-B's (now you need 4 Thai employees for the non-O rather than the 2 as before). So I would suggest if you need a visa to work in the restaurant you effectively own and run - then go with the Non-B.

Note if you are arriving with a Non-B you will not have your work permit it has to be applied for later. Plus to get a Non-B locally you need to have a WP3 as supporting documents

I don't think you can work on a non-O that has been granted for being a parent - only as the spouse of a Thai. Regardless, recently at immigration in Chaengwattana they have questioned a number of my married staff why they want non-O visas and not non-B's (now you need 4 Thai employees for the non-O rather than the 2 as before). So I would suggest if you need a visa to work in the restaurant you effectively own and run - then go with the Non-B.

Note if you are arriving with a Non-B you will not have your work permit it has to be applied for later. Plus to get a Non-B locally you need to have a WP3 as supporting documents

He can get the work permit with a non-o visa or an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. The child's birth certificate will be needed with the application to confirm what the the non-o visa was issued for.

Just because immigration is asking about extensions based upon marriage does not mean it is not allowed. Proof of income from working is even mentioned in the clause of the police order for extensions based upon marriage or being a parent.

• Like 1

You got your stay here guaranteed for another 3.5yrs. The restaurant got potencial but nothing is guaranteed. I would stay w the elite visa. I know one of the benefits of the elite visa is that they assist you getting a work permit. Try giving them a call.

• Like 1

> Obviously I can't apply for a WP on my Elite visa.

Is it so? I was under a strong impression that it's possible to get a Work Permit with the Thai Elite visa. It doesn't come automatically along with the visa, you have to qualify (e.g. registered company capital, 4 Thai employees), but you don't need to get another visa type and throw away the TE visa. In fact, promotional materials for Thai Elite state that their staff will assist you in obtaining the Work Permit. Double check with them.

Edited by twwy123

non problem to get a work permit with a non-o if the non -o is take care for child with Thai nationality

but consider that as Caca4u told also

You got your stay here guaranteed for another 3.5 years. The restaurant probably has got potential you not know what the future brings and nothing is guaranteed.

I also recall that elite visa has some extras too therefore I would stay with the elite visa. I know one of the benefits of the elite visa is that they assist you getting a work permit. Give them a call.

> Obviously I can't apply for a WP on my Elite visa.

Is it so? I was under a strong impression that it's possible to get a Work Permit with the Thai Elite visa. It doesn't come automatically along with the visa, you have to qualify (e.g. registered company capital, 4 Thai employees), but you don't need to get another visa type and throw away the TE visa. In fact, promotional materials for Thai Elite state that their staff will assist you in obtaining the Work Permit. Double check with them.

I have been in contact with them regarding a work permit a few months ago. They made it clear I would need another visa. We discussed the basics of getting a B visa. Until then they havent done much more than advise. And I did not get the impression they would do more that that. It's impossible to legally work on the PE visa.

I contacted them again yesterday regarding my current plans and clearly asked them how far their services reach.

Edited by DeeMak9