Buying nuts at wholesale?

Hal65

An expat with a car took me to a place deep in Naklua (on Sukhumvit) that sells nuts for about half the price of Central (which is not cheap). Almonds were 465 a kilo which is the cheapest I've found.

Anyone know another good place to find cheap nuts, preferably West of Sukhumvit? Almonds and walnuts are my 2 favorites, but any others besides peanuts would be nice also.

Edited by Hal65

Ok, here is the place I know of: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9661497,100.9101569,3a,56.2y,128.4h,85.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw37BsX0A3unIWcUPKAqOpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

They are a bakery products supplier, mainly for commercial businesses (though they sold to us as well)

Edited by Hal65

Question : why are peanuts more expensive in Thailand...a country were they are grown , than in a NW euro country that imports them ?

Probably for the same reason that many things are so expensive in Thailand: too many middle-men, endemic cartel pricing and massive profiteering.

Even buying locally-produced items only, my shopping bill in the UK would be lower than it is here. Factor in a few imported items bought here and the difference is eye-watering.

Question : why are peanuts more expensive in Thailand...a country were they are grown , than in a NW euro country that imports them ?

Probably for the same reason that many things are so expensive in Thailand: too many middle-men, endemic cartel pricing and massive profiteering.

Even buying locally-produced items only, my shopping bill in the UK would be lower than it is here. Factor in a few imported items bought here and the difference is eye-watering.

But even the peanuts sold on the market are expensive and don't have many middle men.

I always bring peanuts to Thailand from europe , it weighs a lot but are cheaper & cleaner and tastier.

Unless of course they put an import ban on it too...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896295-commerce-ministry-announces-8-goods-barred-from-transfer-in-and-out-of-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20160219-1412&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by BuaBS

But even the peanuts sold on the market are expensive and don't have many middle men.

I think you will find that they do have middle-men. And the cartel pricing and profiteering still stand.

I briefly explained earlier in this forum the reason for the high prices on peanuts , but i guess my explanation was to vague.

In Thailand the Crop productions are all handled the same to control prices and its a simple method all crops have to be gathered or processed before be ing sold to the end user, so we have regional rice mills etc.

So the grower grows the peanuts, then they take them to the regional mill / or processor, who after processing relates them to the bulk users, this could be packaging companies or large baking concerns.

Bottom line is the folks who mill or process the products are also the ones who set the prices and they all work as a consortium.

I hope this clears things up

I cook at home a lot and often use red, green or yellow peppers. They're much cheaper to buy back in Britain than they are here, which is crazy when they're grown in Thailand. OTOH, I use a lot of garlic too, and that's very cheap here compared with back home, milder and sweeter too. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

I briefly explained earlier in this forum the reason for the high prices on peanuts , but i guess my explanation was to vague.

In Thailand the Crop productions are all handled the same to control prices and its a simple method all crops have to be gathered or processed before be ing sold to the end user, so we have regional rice mills etc.

So the grower grows the peanuts, then they take them to the regional mill / or processor, who after processing relates them to the bulk users, this could be packaging companies or large baking concerns.

Bottom line is the folks who mill or process the products are also the ones who set the prices and they all work as a consortium.

It does .

And it shows my ignorance about peanuts....I didn't know they had to be processed. Thought they come out of the fields ready in their tusk to be crushed and eaten ( or cooked ).

It does .

And it shows my ignorance about peanuts....I didn't know they had to be processed. Thought they come out of the fields ready in their tusk to be crushed and eaten ( or cooked ).

Peanuts are greed , washed possibly sized and depending on who the end users are going to be might be blanched or roasted. I would guess a lot of them in this country are used to make peanut oil for cooking which would limit the amount of peanuts available to the consumer as a snaCK ITEM , THUS A HIGHER PRICE.

Cartel pricing and profiteering, as I mentioned.

Peanuts are greed , washed possibly sized and depending on who the end users are going to be might be blanched or roasted. I would guess a lot of them in this country are used to make peanut oil for cooking which would limit the amount of peanuts available to the consumer as a snaCK ITEM , THUS A HIGHER PRICE.

Hardly.

Hardly.

just stating the actual facts

Hardly.

Not really. You are stating why you think prices are high but none of it is based on fact. Thais dont use much peanut oil for cooking but peanuts for snacks are quite common (including the steamed sort in their kernels which are also quite expensive). And noodle soup stalls use a lot of crushed peanuts as they are a principle condiment.

There is no shortage of peanuts anywhere that I am aware of and certainly not enough to cause prices here to be double what they are in Europe. The same applies to many other items.

Hardly.

Not really. You are stating why you think prices are high but none of it is based on fact. Thais dont use much peanut oil for cooking but peanuts for snacks are quite common (including the steamed sort in their kernels which are also quite expensive). And noodle soup stalls use a lot of crushed peanuts as they are a principle condiment.

There is no shortage of peanuts anywhere that I am aware of and certainly not enough to cause prices here to be double what they are in Europe. The same applies to many other items.

No ..I'm stating the actual facts, you just don't want to believe them. You are correct Thai's don't use much Peanut oil..i never said they did i said they manufactured it.. and they EXPORT it. what you see used in snacks and noodle stalls are remnant Peanuts or anther words a lower quality. since so much is used for exporting processed peanut oil the prices are high. Simple marketing. Do your research!!!!