Walking Street Sweep Nets 30 Foreigners Without Proper Papers in Pattaya

snoop1130

Perhaps their passport was safe at home, where every good passport should be.

And before any one goes there, there is no law that says passports must be carried on the person at all times, they must instead be easily accessible within reasonable timescales, aka, in a hotel safe within 24 hours etc.

Doesn't fly when you explain that to the officer asking for it wink.png

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snap out of it people. 30 out of many many thousands of tourists were detained and released, it's called collateral damage except there was no real damage. Pattaya is a hot spot for terrorist, criminal and mafia activity so this type of raid is an absolute necessity, or would you rather have the bib running up and down beach Rd chasing lady boys all night?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

What a crock.

Welcome to Thailand. Please all tourists, come to our overpriced strip of bars and then get pulled down the police station on some pathetic archaic law which even the cops can't agree on.

Remind me why I haven't bothered with Walking Street for the last ten years. Is it the overpricing, the violence, the overcrowding, the lack of fire exits, the stiletto-wielding transvestites or the ridiculous hassle from the police. I can't decide which it is.

You left out "overstayer".cheesy.gif

Snap out of it people. 30 out of many many thousands of tourists were detained and released, it's called collateral damage except there was no real damage. Pattaya is a hot spot for terrorist, criminal and mafia activity so this type of raid is an absolute necessity, or would you rather have the bib running up and down beach Rd chasing lady boys all night?

What is it that you don't understand from the poster that was there that this had nothing to do with "transnational crime" but with that club not paying enough tea money. Because they raided the emptiest one. While "the criminals" were surely hiding in all the others.

What is it that you don't understand from the poster that was there that this had nothing to do with "transnational crime" but with that club not paying enough tea money. Because they raided the emptiest one. While "the criminals" were surely hiding in all the others.
You know this poster personally? Didn't think so...

When I go to Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Canada, I am not asked for my passport and never have been except at immigration - where that is relevent.

No harrassing of tourists in pubs bars or restaurants.

Not quite the same here, it seems.

so when was this assurance revoked?blink.png

" Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

"Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification."

I think that everybody must be able to proof his identity in some kind. I have a copy of my passport and visa all the time. Just a photo on my smartphone.

yes I also carry my Thai drivers license at all times.

But in the Pattaya section someone has started a thread today saying the " road was blocked and are checking all drivers paperwork. Also asking farangs for passports. ".

when a police officer stops a motorist the first thing they usually ask for is a drivers license which shows the passport number. I would also reckon that 90% of farangs in Thailand driving a car would have a Thai drivers license. So why were they also asking for passports?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896379-bib-clampdown-cars-pattaya/

It's called extortion.

...and what makes you think you'd be immune?

Iam not a tourist...... or are you now moving the goal posts to now include all foreigners ?

Perha-s in wasn't that clear, but I said "a massive authoritarian clampdown" AND an almost total suspension of tourism = 2 things the former applies to you.

It would appear you don't understand what future events I'm referring to?

I have an idea as to what you are hinting at but until that time comes nobody really knows what will happen afterwards. If it means my employement will cease well then I will happily take the sizable redundancy payout and go home.

n o-one knows - where have you been the last few years????

If they still pay out foreigners - just one dictum and your rights are gone... how about your property? Have you read the general's paper on foreigners?

this little incident on Walking street does 2things - it gives an insight into the authorities attitude to foreigners and thew inconsistencies of enforcement - basically the is a law somewhere to back up any whim they choose....how about owning a house???

Edited by cumgranosalum

If they still pay out foreigners - just one dictum and your rights are gone... how about your property? Have you read the general's paper on foreigners?

this little incident on Walking street does 2things - it gives an insight into the authorities attitude to foreigners and thew inconsistencies of enforcement - basically the is a law somewhere to back up any whim they choose....how about owning a house???

A foreigner could never own a house so not really sure what you on about?

A company could own a house and nothing has changed there.

This raid is nothing new or unusual , has been going on for years .

At least we were not urine tested for drugs as it would have been much worse, especially for those who just arrived and may still have some in their system

Edited by PattayaAl

" Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

"Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification."

I think that everybody must be able to proof his identity in some kind. I have a copy of my passport and visa all the time. Just a photo on my smartphone.

an expat friend of mine verified with the police in Pattaya that a photocopy of the passport and visa is acceptable, but a photo in the phone is not. I have always carried a laminated card with the two required documents back to back. this is the first time I have ever heard of a large number of people being hauled in for this reason, it has been very rare in the past, to my knowledge...

an expat friend of mine verified with the police in Pattaya that a photocopy of the passport and visa is acceptable, but a photo in the phone is not. I have always carried a laminated card with the two required documents back to back. this is the first time I have ever heard of a large number of people being hauled in for this reason, it has been very rare in the past, to my knowledge...

And I was one of those in the raid and telling you photo in phone was acceptable. Your knowledge and one of your friend is rather limited . Each raid gets about this many if not more and then may be 1 is found to be on over stay ;) if cops get lucky as those who can not afford visa do not drink in clubs where beer is 180 baht

One of the more frustrating things about the functioning of this government is that rules come and go depending on which way the wind is blowing and which city you are in. Last year, it was announced in Chiang Mai that you did not have to carry your passport with you at all times. It seems to be different in Pattaya.

As much control is centralized in Bangkok, it would seem that a rules about things like immigration could be made and then promulgated to the Provinces, no?

Some suggested clarifications:

When, exactly do you have to have your original passport on your person?

Will photocopies of the face page, your last visa page, and 90-day slip suffice in other times

Is Thai Driver License ever enough identification?

Carrying Your Passport in Thailand

http://www.thaizer.com/basics/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/

JANUARY 25, 2013 BY ROY CAVANAGH

There appears to be a lot of confusion about whether or not you are legally obliged to carry your passport with you at all times when you are in Thailand. I’ve personally read and heard different things over the years in Thailand and different people have their own interpretations of the legal requirements.

Is there a law which says you must carry your passport at all times when in Thailand?
Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

You know this poster personally? Didn't think so...

Hey don't think too much, this is Thailand. Thinking too much can cause serious health issues. I'm the best example.

Now the fact that I don't know the poster personally and the fact that me or some friends of mine have "interacted" with the valued members of the RTP, so we know how "business is conducted in Thailand", are two different things.

But hey, let's use reverse logic. He does not know what he is talking about. Therefore the police must have been tipped off to choose that particular one club. Perhaps they were using the same source as the one for the pensioneer bridge players and that informant must have brought to their attention that illegal activity (Aliens not carrying passports) is taking place.

Anyways, I just want to congratulate and say I am proud by the actions they are taking to combat "transnational crime", and to just say.....don't worry, we know the economy has affected your pockets, but tomorrow is another day.

Edited by lkv

At least we were not urine tested for drugs as it would have been much worse, especially for those who just arrived and may still have some in their system

On Stickboy site it seems RCA was raided last night and everyone was urine tested, people smashed windows trying to escape and lots of injuries. Has a video of a semi-riot.

That's pretty unusual.

I think people need to bear in mind that sometime in the not so distant future Thailand is likely to have a massive authoritarian clampdown and an almost total suspension of tourism...the authorities know this and it looks s if they re getting prepared to clam-down on ALL threats to stability whether internal or external. We are going to see a progressive clampdown aimed at the media and all foreigners.

cum,

Well, according to Alex Jones, this will be happening soon in USA.

Didn't realise Thailand too.

Curious tho, as to how you know this.

What a crock.

Welcome to Thailand. Please all tourists, come to our overpriced strip of bars and then get pulled down the police station on some pathetic archaic law which even the cops can't agree on.

Remind me why I haven't bothered with Walking Street for the last ten years. Is it the overpricing, the violence, the overcrowding, the lack of fire exits, the stiletto-wielding transvestites or the ridiculous hassle from the police. I can't decide which it is.

and don't forget the shit music

I for one would never carry my passport around with me...but the best tip is to go to any photo copying shop and get them to minimalise your relevant passport and visa pages then laminate this so you can carry this around with you either in your wallet or sky rocket..cost about 150 baht!

What a crock.

Yep mate-------- all of those----- and probably a few morecoffee1.gif

I for one would never carry my passport around with me...but the best tip is to go to any photo copying shop and get them to minimalise your relevant passport and visa pages then laminate this so you can carry this around with you either in your wallet or sky rocket..cost about 150 baht!

I have all my relevant details of my PP that I have printed on one side of a sheet of A4 and neatly folded up in my wallet---- Cost '0'------ and I can change it to add my latest 90 Day----easy----- why do some of you guys have to go to all the trouble just to get something fancycoffee1.gif

Good! If they don't have a passport you got to wonder why!

Because we are constantly reminded NOT to carry a passport due to the high crime rate in these areas.

Tourists probably don't know that a copy of their papers is acceptable.

They also don't know where to make a copy, would be nice if the immigration gave us one (with a watermark) and told us to keep it with us ALL the time. They could also print our stay-address on it so the police can see that info as well.

If we make our own copy's it's very easy to photoshop them and that sure will happen. There will even be company's on kao san road to do it for us i guess.

What a crock.

and don't forget the shit music

Lam Morrison.....................hahahaha.

On Stickboy site it seems RCA was raided last night and everyone was urine tested, people smashed windows trying to escape and lots of injuries. Has a video of a semi-riot.

That's pretty unusual.

Was a nightclub/entertainment complex raided in Chiang Mai yesterday for same reasons.

Urine and passports.

Another nail in the coffin for Thai tourism,

cause you're gonna go back to a country that takes you off their streets & questions you, for not carrying the most important document you have whilst on holiday.

We all know the next one, people turning up at the airport for their return flights home, passport less, either lost or stolen, as they didn't want to get picked up by the police again.

Laughable really.