Beware:: Scam at Chiang Mai Airport

ianf

Thanks for the heads-up from the OP. wai2.gif

I always carry a few B10-coins in my car, to pay at the airport or Kad-Suan-Kaew, for parking.

If paying with a B1,000-note, for example at the petrol-station, I always say "nung pan baht" as I hand the note over, it seems to work.

At most proper shops like 7-11, Tesco etc the cashier always acknowledges 1000bt given.

I, too, will announce the bill size if I'm handing over a 1,000 or 500 baht note. Never had a problem with getting the right change.

It's possible I've been given incorrect coins, though. I rarely count them. If they 'look' about right, I just drop them in my pocket.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-5 times a year in Chiang Mai shops try to short-change me (I smile and tell the clerk there's been a mistake - and I get my money back with a smile from the clerk). About twice a year I get too much change back - I always give back the "long-change" because I have heard that the store clerks have to cover losses like this with their own wages.

I have lived here 12 years now, so this makes for a lot of incorrect change given. Most of the time I think it comes down to weak math skills or inattention rather than trying to rip me off.

Edited by Atum

The most sensible advice came from NorthJohn and it's what Hubby and I do. Bangkok Bank has branches every 300 meters in this town, so it's easy to maintain a stock of small bills at home. No need to use the "bank of 7/11" to obtain your small bills.

I just make it a practice to pay for EVERYTHING exactly. Most of the clerks here don't know how to make change anyway.

I wonder how they made change correctly for me 99.9% of the time for over 20 years if that is the case. Perhaps you fell off the bus again Nancy. Are you challenging Donald Trump?

My goodness -- it's nice to know who my Thai Visa fans are. Comparing me to Donald Trump -- really? And what's with ya'll who "Liked" Bill97's inane post? You should be ashamed of yourself, especially if you know me.

As others have pointed out -- it's not unknown for incorrect change to be made here -- or really anywhere else in the world, for that matter. Most people today aren't drilled with arithmetic skills in schools today -- that's as true in my country as it is here in Thailand. It's just good practice anywhere in the world to give clerks correct change and not expect them to act as a bank for you.

The most sensible advice came from NorthJohn and it's what Hubby and I do. Bangkok Bank has branches every 300 meters in this town, so it's easy to maintain a stock of small bills at home. No need to use the "bank of 7/11" to obtain your small bills.

I just make it a practice to pay for EVERYTHING exactly. Most of the clerks here don't know how to make change anyway.

I wonder how they made change correctly for me 99.9% of the time for over 20 years if that is the case. Perhaps you fell off the bus again Nancy. Are you challenging Donald Trump?

My goodness -- it's nice to know who my Thai Visa fans are. Comparing me to Donald Trump -- really? And what's with ya'll who "Liked" Bill97's inane post? You should be ashamed of yourself, especially if you know me.

As others have pointed out -- it's not unknown for incorrect change to be made here -- or really anywhere else in the world, for that matter. Most people today aren't drilled with arithmetic skills in schools today -- that's as true in my country as it is here in Thailand. It's just good practice anywhere in the world to give clerks correct change and not expect them to act as a bank for you.

You get better almost every time. Now expecting change is asking them to act like a bank. Amazing Nancy.

Seems a bit silly to me for the OP to announce a big "scam at Chiang Mai Airport" when apparently he's talking about a single occasion concerning about $0.85.

On occasion, I mistake what bill I'm handing over after dark....either because I'm being a bit negligent (guessing what bill I have by color) and/or simply because my eyesight is lousier these days. But I can't think of a single time in a whole lot of years that I got the impression that any Thai was trying to cheat me out of the correct change. It probably happens....like anywhere....but I'm doubtful it's often.

Or the parking attendant looked in to see if you were with some hot babe (because every man likes to see hot babes), which you weren't, and spaced out what you had given him and he saw a 20-baht note on the counter and that confirmed it for him.

He's a parking attendant, not an astrophysicist from MIT.

Seems a bit silly to me for the OP to announce a big "scam at Chiang Mai Airport" when apparently he's talking about a single occasion concerning about $0.85.

On occasion, I mistake what bill I'm handing over after dark....either because I'm being a bit negligent (guessing what bill I have by color) and/or simply because my eyesight is lousier these days. But I can't think of a single time in a whole lot of years that I got the impression that any Thai was trying to cheat me out of the correct change. It probably happens....like anywhere....but I'm doubtful it's often.

And probably, like most trusting people, you don't fancy the alternative of trusting no-one, always assuming the worst about people, and watching everyone like a beady-eyed hawk every time you make a transaction.

You get better almost every time. Now expecting change is asking them to act like a bank. Amazing Nancy.

Your claim that you have gotten back correct change in Thailand 99.99% of the time for 20 years says it all, really. Because you really mean that literally, don't you? The reality is that you are very inattentive and/or half asleep when you receive your change. Either that or you can't count past 3. laugh.png

Wow! Being compared to Ronald Chump - now that is a really excellent insult! Keep it up guys - this is fun.

4-5 times a year in Chiang Mai shops try to short-change me (I smile and tell the clerk there's been a mistake - and I get my money back with a smile from the clerk). About twice a year I get too much change back - I always give back the "long-change" because I have heard that the store clerks have to cover losses like this with their own wages.

I have lived here 12 years now, so this makes for a lot of incorrect change given. Most of the time I think it comes down to weak math skills or inattention rather than trying to rip me off.

Reminds me of years ago when my wife was working at McDonalds in Vancouver Canada and they did not have the machines to tell how much change to give back.

Half the kids did not know how to figure the change out. She tried.

She would show them an example like if the bill was $3.97 cents and they were given a $5 bill.

She would take a penny and add it to the figure so it showed $3.98 cents

then she would take another penny and add it to the $3.98 cents so it showed $3.99 cents.

Then she would take another penny and add it to the $3.99 cents so it showed $4

then she would take a dollar bill and add it to the $4 so it showed $5.

In this way they had $1,03 on the counter which was the correct amount of change for a $5 note on a $3,97 cent bill.

Most of them still couldn't figure it out.

Edited by northernjohn

Reminds me of years ago when my wife was working at McDonalds in Vancouver Canada and they did not have the machines did not tell how much change to give back.

Half the kids did not know how to figure the change out. She tried.

She would show them an example like if the bill was $3.97 cents and they were given a $5 bill.

She would take a penny and add it to the figure so it showed $398 cents

then she would take another penny and add it to the $398 cents so it showed $3.99 cents.

Then she would take another penny and add it to the $3,99 cents so it showed $4

then she would take a dollar bill and add it to the $4 so it showed $5. In this way they had $1,03 on the counter which was the correct amount of change for a $5 note on a $3,97 cent bill.

Most of them still couldn't figure it out.

You lost me after you added the first penny. gigglem.gif

So you get correct change 100% of the time, and probably about 95% of the time it is even correct the first time they give it to you.

I'm amazed at how many expats can't be bothered to go into a bank regularly to get a supply of small bills. Instead, they expect the market vendors and small merchants they patronize to be able to supply change when the produce a 1000 baht note, straight out of the ATM machine for payment of a small item like a meal for one for a bit of produce at the market. Come on people, many of those ATM machines are located right outside banks -- you know, stores where you can go to exchange 1000 baht notes for smaller notes without having to buy anything.

But, no I guess the expats, many of whom that I know to be retired are just too busy and expect the Thai shopkeeper to perform this service for them, so they can complain when they're short-changed when giving a 1000 baht note for a 60 baht purchase.

I'm amazed at how many expats can't be bothered to go into a bank regularly to get a supply of small bills. Instead, they expect the market vendors and small merchants they patronize to be able to supply change when the produce a 1000 baht note, straight out of the ATM machine for payment of a small item like a meal for one for a bit of produce at the market. Come on people, many of those ATM machines are located right outside banks -- you know, stores where you can go to exchange 1000 baht notes for smaller notes without having to buy anything.

But, no I guess the expats, many of whom that I know to be retired are just too busy and expect the Thai shopkeeper to perform this service for them, so they can complain when they're short-changed when giving a 1000 baht note for a 60 baht purchase.

I see we're going for a defence of insanity now...

I've been here a few months now and never had trouble getting change or keeping it in my wallet for that matter. Not sure why anyone needs to go anywhere to get change unless the only amount you spend is 20 Baht in every visit. If I pay a market vendor with 1,000 Baht - they simply shout for change to another stall if they don't have it themselves. Heck, I was on Doi Suthep yesterday and an old lady and her cart had no problems issuing change. I do occasionally round off the bill with a tuk-tuk driver or songthaew driver but I don't think I'll lose any sleep over the occasional 10 Baht here or there... though maybe someone should implement a phone line for that too.

I've never been short changed here either. My mental arithmetic's good enough that I can usually calculate what I owe faster than the shopkeeper can with their calculator or till and working out change is no harder.

I went to the KFC yesterday in Prominada and got the 145 Baht KFC meal .

I paid for it and She only gave me 365 Baht change .

I told her that I gave her a 1000 Baht note .

She said that I didnt and that I only gave her a 500 Baht note .

After thinking for a while , I remembered that I only had a 500 Baht note

So, I apologised

Well here is a little different take on "correct" change although this happened in Bangkok, not Chiang Mai. I pulled into the ESSO station and told them to fill it up, in Thai of course. The bill came to B 800 and I gave her a 1000 bhat note. She gave me B 300 in change! The nerve of her giving me incorrect change! My wife was with me and she explained to the girl that she gave me B 100 to much. She was all smiles getting the 100 bhat back.

My wife had the reverse happen - a tourist paid with a 100 baht note and received change for 100 baht and then came back and complained that she had been short changed from 1000 baht

My wife showed her the cash draw which contained nothing larger than a 500 baht note. The woman was still adamant that my wife should give her 900 baht so my wife showed her the security camera that was pointed at the cash draw and said she would happily review the footage with the woman and if my wife was mistaken then she would return the "missing" 900 baht

At this point the woman just walked away without an apology

Seems like scammers exist on both sides of the counter

When your A farang it's business as usual.Get use to it or do what I do.I go to A bank and get 3000-6000 baht at A time of small baht.Then I usually take 2000-4000 baht with me where ever I go.Then I give the correct change.

So, in order to avoid being caught without a twenty baht bill, your suggestion is that I should change somewhere between three and six thousand baht in larger bills into somewhere between 150 and 300 twenty baht bills, and that I should then carry somewhere between 100 and 200 of those where ever I go in order to protect myself from the "business as usual"?

Thanks for the tip, I have to admit that's never occurred to me!

This forum is full of people living in fear of being diddled out of small change, who go to extreme lengths to ensure that they are never taken for a fool, whilst at the time making themselves look stupid and petty to everyone around them. The fact that someone is so concerned of allegedly being short-changed 30 baht that he feels compelled to write a scam-alert post only serves to prove my point. The choice of words says a lot about the sense of paranoia so many expats have. Nigerians don't scam people out of 30 baht. Confidence tricksters don't connive ways to deprive you of small change. Being short-changed by 30 baht is just that. It's not a scam, it's petty theft. But since these guys are so entrenched in their paranoia those are the words they choose. 30 baht scam. That's funny.

As expected, no shortage of paranoid replies. "When your (sic) A farang it's business as usual". "This scam is everywhere now".

The daftest reply was "Why did you give him 50 baht in the first place?". Is 50 baht such a high denomination that he finds it so incredible that people carry them around or is it that he always has the correct money in order to prevent this ever happening? The obsession so many people here have over small change is fascinating, and the lengths they will go to, like making sure they always have small change is hilarious. If this wasn't TVCM, nobody would believe this stuff. Keep 'em coming.

To the OP - A complaints procedure at the airport!? If there is, and you plan on going along could you please let me know, I'd like to be in on that one.

It's got nothing to do with the money. To me I don't care if it's a thousand or 30 baht. I live my life honestly. I hate cheats and scammers. I hate liars. I don't care if they are Thai or Brits or Martians. A cheat is a cheat.

Buy a Nissan March. it has a small nook in the drivers door, which in mine is full of 5 and 10 baht coins.I've always got the right money

No more struggling to get the wallet out or having to check the change, added years to my life.Only reason I bought itcoffee1.gif

When your A farang it's business as usual.Get use to it or do what I do.I go to A bank and get 3000-6000 baht at A time of small baht.Then I usually take 2000-4000 baht with me where ever I go.Then I give the correct change.

So, in order to avoid being caught without a twenty baht bill, your suggestion is that I should change somewhere between three and six thousand baht in larger bills into somewhere between 150 and 300 twenty baht bills, and that I should then carry somewhere between 100 and 200 of those where ever I go in order to protect myself from the "business as usual"?

Thanks for the tip, I have to admit that's never occurred to me!

This forum is full of people living in fear of being diddled out of small change, who go to extreme lengths to ensure that they are never taken for a fool, whilst at the time making themselves look stupid and petty to everyone around them. The fact that someone is so concerned of allegedly being short-changed 30 baht that he feels compelled to write a scam-alert post only serves to prove my point. The choice of words says a lot about the sense of paranoia so many expats have. Nigerians don't scam people out of 30 baht. Confidence tricksters don't connive ways to deprive you of small change. Being short-changed by 30 baht is just that. It's not a scam, it's petty theft. But since these guys are so entrenched in their paranoia those are the words they choose. 30 baht scam. That's funny.

As expected, no shortage of paranoid replies. "When your (sic) A farang it's business as usual". "This scam is everywhere now".

The daftest reply was "Why did you give him 50 baht in the first place?". Is 50 baht such a high denomination that he finds it so incredible that people carry them around or is it that he always has the correct money in order to prevent this ever happening? The obsession so many people here have over small change is fascinating, and the lengths they will go to, like making sure they always have small change is hilarious. If this wasn't TVCM, nobody would believe this stuff. Keep 'em coming.

To the OP - A complaints procedure at the airport!? If there is, and you plan on going along could you please let me know, I'd like to be in on that one.

It's got nothing to do with the money. To me I don't care if it's a thousand or 30 baht. I live my life honestly. I hate cheats and scammers. I hate liars. I don't care if they are Thai or Brits or Martians. A cheat is a cheat.

We figured that out already by virtue of the fact that you started this topic. The fact that you just used the word 'hate' twice, 'cheat' 3 times and that you still consider this to be a Scam, shows the depth of your feeling. Well done.

As my Mother used to say "So long as you're happy, that's all that matters".

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

So you get correct change 100% of the time, and probably about 95% of the time it is even correct the first time they give it to you.

According to your brilliant math/logic I get the wrong change about 5% of the time, but since I catch it every time it's no problem. Oh God! clap2.gif

I always carry a few B10-coins in my car, to pay at the airport or Kad-Suan-Kaew, for parking.

If paying with a B1,000-note, for example at the petrol-station, I always say "nung pan baht" as I hand the note over, it seems to work.

At most proper shops like 7-11, Tesco etc the cashier always acknowledges 1000bt given.

Oh no they don`t.

I`ve had s**t tried on me several times at 7/11s, Tesco Lotus, Big C, petrol stations and MacDonalds. Handed over a 1000 baht note for items costing 100 baht up to 200 baht. Cashier counts the change out in 100 baht notes and a few loose coins, no 500 baht note in the change, throws the bundle of 100 baht notes with some coins into my hand and rushes off quick. Check my change and it`s 100 baht short. This has happened to me on several occasions and I`ve caught onto this now. I don`t trust any of these lying, cheating busters and always on the alert at these places.

Oh no they don`t.

I`ve had s**t tried on me several times at 7/11s, Tesco Lotus, Big C, petrol stations and MacDonalds. Handed over a 1000 baht note for items costing 100 baht up to 200 baht. Cashier counts the change out in 100 baht notes and a few loose coins, no 500 baht note in the change, throws the bundle of 100 baht notes with some coins into my hand and rushes off quick. Check my change and it`s 100 baht short. This has happened to me on several occasions and I`ve caught onto this now. I don`t trust any of these lying, cheating busters and always on the alert at these places.

You need to go home, the place is not safe for YOU.

Ian f : What kind of car were you driving ?

How many wheels did it have ?

Ian hasnt answered, the only reason that I ask because it does costs 50 Baht to park a larger car .

Small cars are 20 Baht and bigger cars are 50 Baht to park

I'm not doubting you but I'm curious where this two tier pricing system is. We have a Honda CRV which may or may not be considered a "large" car but we never had to pay more then a small car. At least I don't think we have. I know when we take it, the CRV, to the local car wash they charge a bit more then our Jazz and on the express way large truck are charged more then cars.

Edited by Spaniel