Top Ten

TOP 10 Eateries on Ko Samui  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All,

as a reader has asked for the top ten eateries on samui I started this poll - please help!

May be I cant get it right at first hand, but combining our knowledge we should get something substantial and useful.

The poll I have constructed, is more or less, at random.

But with you adding your choice and vote we may get somewhere.

With your suggestions and help a much better poll can be started!

Maybe the poll has to be divided between "Top Choice" and "Top ten Value for Money" and "best Western/Jap." and "Best Thai"

Thanx for your input!!!!!!!!!

I shall vote in your poll.

The previous thread was "what is your favorite restaurant/s on Samui?"

There are now hundreds listed there.

Might be interesting info if enough people did this poll so we could sus out which are the top ten favorites.

My votes goes up in the poll right now.

Cheers

See roo, southbot got it, that is what it is all about - I had to start somewhere - ONLY top ten please - new suggestions, can start a new one or ask the Admin for help to rearrange the poll...would certainly be interesting, especiallyit's (sort of independent) from the consumers view, no advert stuff....

Matbe we even get a good mix across the board??

Anyone?

Most of those restaurants in the Poll are average at best.

Fuji is certainly not the best restaurant, the cliff?????? Nice view, but the food? Nothing to write home about.

Magic light, isn't that a hooker bar? So they have a restaurant too, am I missing out on Samui's best food here?

Can't see the point in this poll, we have a sticky already.

Well, I did let the Chains and Franchises out, because we are all aware of their universal quality of standarization.

Average or not, this I thought to have suggested as well, top, 2nd, 3rd or one star, 2, 3.... give it a go!

For Example:

"Japanese Restaurants"

Hagi ***

Yamamoto**

XXX *

"Thai"

XXX ***

XXX **

XXX*

"Italian"

Prego ***

Laras Dream **

Il Moulino *

"International"

Poppies ***

The Cliff **

Colibri *

Yep, ot a mesage which said, this poll doesn't semm too popular, well get's at least some white noise from the distance.........ahhhh well...

Guess either everyone has a fixed eatery, or there is too little general experience...

Sorry for the person which ever did ask for the "topten" can't really extract that for you by a poll, it seems...

I know where to eat and who's who.

Well, I did let the Chains and Franchises out, because we are all aware of their universal quality of standarization.

Average or not, this I thought to have suggested as well, top, 2nd, 3rd or one star, 2, 3.... give it a go!

For Example:

"Japanese Restaurants"

Hagi ***

Yamamoto**

XXX *

"Thai"

XXX ***

XXX **

XXX*

"Italian"

Prego ***

Laras Dream **

Il Moulino *

"International"

Poppies ***

The Cliff **

Colibri *

Yep, ot a mesage which said, this poll doesn't semm too popular, well get's at least some white noise from the distance.........ahhhh well...

Guess either everyone has a fixed eatery, or there is too little general experience...

Sorry for the person which ever did ask for the "topten" can't really extract that for you by a poll, it seems...

I know where to eat and who's who.

<edit>just went back and read the op again. nevermind</edit>

Edited by t.s

LOL at whore bars included in the poll

There are two places called Magic Light - one is a bar and the other a restaurant which has been around for years.

See, Thai Bairn knows... at least one!

If the place (Magic Light Spagetteria) has been around for a long time, the food gotta be palatable at least... I haven't seen any Belly Dancer, hooker or "whore" around there, never ever and the females eating there with caucasian males... I wouldn't categorise, because it's none of my business, nor am I jealous of any female companion, eating with soemone I don't now and probably will never ever see again in my life...

Don't know what joints some of these people, writing such nonsense, go for lunch or dinner...

Comparing the beach traders and their 'barbies' with a restaurant is out of my grip.

At least we know: "The Spa" in Lamai serves the "best Food" on the island...

for my taste, people are talking about , fasting, not eating, colon irrigation, digestion and poo all the time... it's not an environment where i go to enjoy the food in front of me.....never saw more overweight, obese people in one spot at a time......:o

The Cliff has nothing, except a view, to "write home about"...now we know!

Fuji isn't worth mentioning as a Restaurant...I wonder?

Whoever asked for the "Top Ten" may still not know what the "Top Ten" are, but that there is quite a bunch of people out there on this island, who do live here, but obviousely don't give a hoot about good eateries, or "good" applies only where "my mate is the proprietor"...probably the wrong place to ask questions like this!

@womble: O.K. see your point, but then WHAT IS the BEST Restaurant in YOUR OPINION?

Thats what this thread is about!

@poorfarang: Sorry, missed the point as well, it's maybe one of the Copy Cat stories, there might be such an establishment on 'mui, but it's about RESTAURANTS, not Girlie Bars with similiar Names!

Sorry mate, looks like you have to find out yor self!

here a link to Samui Dining Guide:

Thanks for the support Suegha, but see where this thing is going to....?

Still think it's worth a try.

Edited by Samuian

LOL at whore bars included in the poll

There are two places called Magic Light - one is a bar and the other a restaurant which has been around for years.

See, Thai Bairn knows... at least one!

If the place (Magic Light Spagetteria) has been around for a long time, the food gotta be palatable at least... I haven't seen any Belly Dancer, hooker or "whore" around there, never ever and the females eating there with caucasian males... I wouldn't categorise, because it's none of my business, nor am I jealous of any female companion, eating with soemone I don't now and probably will never ever see again in my life...

Don't know what joints some of these people, writing such nonsense, go for lunch or dinner...

Comparing the beach traders and their 'barbies' with a restaurant is out of my grip.

At least we know: "The Spa" in Lamai serves the "best Food" on the island...

for my taste, people are talking about , fasting, not eating, colon irrigation, digestion and poo all the time... it's not an environment where i go to enjoy the food in front of me.....never saw more overweight, obese people in one spot at a time......:o

The Cliff has nothing, except a view, to "write home about"...now we know!

Fuji isn't worth mentioning as a Restaurant...I wonder?

Whoever asked for the "Top Ten" may still not know what the "Top Ten" are, but that there is quite a bunch of people out there on this island, who do live here, but obviousely don't give a hoot about good eateries, or "good" applies only where "my mate is the proprietor"...probably the wrong place to ask questions like this!

@womble: O.K. see your point, but then WHAT IS the BEST Restaurant in YOUR OPINION?

Thats what this thread is about!

@poorfarang: Sorry, missed the point as well, it's maybe one of the Copy Cat stories, there might be such an establishment on 'mui, but it's about RESTAURANTS, not Girlie Bars with similiar Names!

Sorry mate, looks like you have to find out yor self!

here a link to Samui Dining Guide:

Thanks for the support Suegha, but see where this thing is going to....?

Still think it's worth a try.

Hey Mate........thanks for trying

I see now that its not easy to deal with this topic........hmm It would be nice to have a list of GOOD RESTAURANTS, who are not in the guide books, just for local food lovers like me....

Well, I will have to do my own recearch each time Im on the Island.......thanks again.

Well we already made that thread.

Its pinned at the top of the forum and has TONS of great places to eat. Just no need to rehash them all in a new thread to make a top 10 list.

And Fuji rocks!

Yes I read your thread and I also replied.........and I like the way you challenge the restuarants.... my problem is , I dont live on Samui, so its hard to remember names and soi's.........but I would love to go all those places you already went , and gave good comments...just not easy to keep in my 'damaged memory"...........thats why I thourght more than me would like to get such a easy to print list of great restaurants, without all the inbetween comments..........

But I still would like to give the "samuian " the credit of trying......to make such a list......except he already choosed the top ten "nominies".........that wasnt really my point........anyway we all want the same : GOOD FOOD....so keep eating and please, please continue to tell us about your food experiences.......good reading and as you can see, lots of people have read your comments...... :o

I understand now.

Def. good intentions here.

What we need to do is scan in a map of samui and mark down some locations of decent places. Then we can post it for download and you can try it all out.

Maybe i will whip something up tommorrow and post some of my fav's on it and ask others to contribute as well.

Good idea.

I understand now.

Def. good intentions here.

What we need to do is scan in a map of samui and mark down some locations of decent places. Then we can post it for download and you can try it all out.

Maybe i will whip something up tommorrow and post some of my fav's on it and ask others to contribute as well.

Good idea.

That would be great............looking forward to see what you can do about the map.........

cheers

Thanx, "Master of the Court" and all the others for their input...!

it is so, the more we share our frist hand experience, the more we are able to enjoy our lifes, isn't it?

The poll has so far only 7 Votes, but itshows already something..

To be fair, we should give the places rankings, one doesn't want 'posh' places, others love to go and wine and dine in style, me too once in a while.

A posh place doesn't have to have bad food, a cheap road side stall doesn't have to have graet food....

But together we are able to share and others who are not living here can rely on first ahnd inforamtion.

lets keep it goin'....

Besides in Mae Nam, there is a road side Restaurant called "Idea", it's Thai, hot food very reasonable priced, nice decor, quick and friendly service, the 'guy' speaks reasonable english as well.

Mae Nam, direction Ban Thai (Nathon) approx. 150-200 m. BEFORE the last 7/11 on the right hand side.

After sunset the decoration should 'ring a bell'.

A couple of stone tables, some umbrellas and to the right one of these thai-style bamboo sala's - kind a Gazebo.

clean toilet too!

Thanx, "Master of the Court" and all the others for their input...!

it is so, the more we share our frist hand experience, the more we are able to enjoy our lifes, isn't it?

The poll has so far only 7 Votes, but itshows already something..

To be fair, we should give the places rankings, one doesn't want 'posh' places, others love to go and wine and dine in style, me too once in a while.

A posh place doesn't have to have bad food, a cheap road side stall doesn't have to have graet food....

But together we are able to share and others who are not living here can rely on first ahnd inforamtion.

lets keep it goin'....

Besides in Mae Nam, there is a road side Restaurant called "Idea", it's Thai, hot food very reasonable priced, nice decor, quick and friendly service, the 'guy' speaks reasonable english as well.

Mae Nam, direction Ban Thai (Nathon) approx. 150-200 m. BEFORE the last 7/11 on the right hand side.

After sunset the decoration should 'ring a bell'.

A couple of stone tables, some umbrellas and to the right one of these thai-style bamboo sala's - kind a Gazebo.

clean toilet too!

You are absolutely right "Samuian" just "poorfalang" already made the thread.......so how can we organize it so we have a list of BEST restaurants.........sorry, I have trouble with the pc for dummies :o

Poorfarang. Good idea. I was not having a pop at you on the Brian Ferry topic. I never go to farang posh restaraunts. Get much better authentic food and value at the small Thai food places.

HEY..whats the name of the thaidish with minced pork or chicken and basil with lots of sliced small chillis.......and where is the best place to eat that dish ??

"pat kraprao moo sab" - usually any thai-kitchen. (moo for pork, gai for chicken)

try the "Sun-Isaan" ...

chaweng, coming from the main ringroad into the "Soi Talaad Dao" (the one leading to Talaad Leam Din, the Lake and finally to the Reggea Pub)

its just a couple a hundred yards up from the ring road, on the right, half way before the market, to the left a wee bit further up, is a farang place.

Country style place, it's only the (Entrance) gate visible from the road, it's hard to figure out that this is in fact a restaurant, very busy in the evenings, after sunset.

It' has great North Eastern (Eesarn) Food, very reasonable prices, but NOT easy to find! Parking inside.

Check it out, a delight for any thai food lover!

Edited by Samuian

You can get that dish at almost any little market as well.

I went back to the reccomended Khao man gai place and was disapointed again. Good food, kind staff, but SO MANY FLIES. Its like a fly breeding ground. At anytime I could see at least 40 -50 flies (not joking here)

I had to constantly wave my hand around to keep them away. I cant reccomend this place to anynbody for this reason.

Anybody else know of a good ran ahan khao man gai?

Mae Nam, comin' from Bhoput the last 7/11 on the right, just before the "Soi Seafan Resort" exactly next to it, to the right is a tiny Kao Man Gai shop... check it out, looks clean and so far haven't spotted any flies! (Usually sold out after lunch time!)

It's the setback with Road side stalls, if not kept really clean, fly invasion!

And the open air eatery just before the set of traffic lights in Bhoput/MainRoad/Fishermans Village,

comin from Chaweng just after the the intersection on the left...cheap, thai and good!

(No Kao Man Gai, though)

Edited by Samuian

You can get that dish at almost any little market as well.

I went back to the reccomended Khao man gai place and was disapointed again. Good food, kind staff, but SO MANY FLIES. Its like a fly breeding ground. At anytime I could see at least 40 -50 flies (not joking here)

I had to constantly wave my hand around to keep them away. I cant reccomend this place to anynbody for this reason.

yes I know , its a very common dish.........just couldnt remember the name anymore and at the same time, I like to hear where to buy the best one.........do you have any suggestions, Poorfalang ?

Thanks Samuian, I will check it out in Dec.......

And the open air eatery just before the set of traffic lights in Bhoput/MainRoad/Fishermans Village,

comin from Chaweng just after the the intersection on the left...cheap, thai and good!

(No Kao Man Gai, though)

I love that place as well. Great food. I always load up on Gang Som and nam prik. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Really good place. The name is something like 'Pee Chet' or something similar.

I will try and find a blank samui map sometime soon and start marking these places down.

(No Kao Man Gai, though)

I love that place as well. Great food. I always load up on Gang Som and nam prik. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Really good place. The name is something like 'Pee Chet' or something similar.

I will try and find a blank samui map sometime soon and start marking these places down.

my teeth are drypping already........................ :o

If you turn towards Bophut village at the traffic lights, and then turn right towards Big Buddha, directly on that right hand corner you have the best Kow Man Gai on the island.

The Best Kwai tio (noodle soup) moo daeng can be found in Maenam opposite Twins rest. name is Pah Yah, and son Montri, and I guess the second would be Jeh Tok in Bophut opposite what used to be called the appartments.

Behind Thai Farmers for Duck noodles in Nathon and also the green restaurant for almost anything in Nathon main strip opposite that place that seels all the gear for Bungalows and household stuff with Banduhr written on the side of the building. Recommend Kow phat moo daeng there.

For a nice place to eat near or on the beach, Cafe Taleh in Maenam

As for the indian in Bophut, all their curries are the same....they put sweet milk in to make the sauces richer. My mate went in the kitchen to see why they all taste the same. Big Joes is Better and the one in Maenam is quite good evidently. At least more authentic.