Inmate who spent decades in solitary is released

rooster59

Inmate who spent decades in solitary is released

KEVIN McGILL, Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — An American inmate held for decades in solitary confinement was released Friday after pleading no contest to manslaughter and a lesser offense in the 1972 death of a prison guard.

Albert Woodfox is the last inmate of a group known as the "Angola Three" for their decades-long stays in isolation at the Louisiana Penitentiary at Angola and other state prisons.

Prison officials said they were kept in solitary because their Black Panther Party activism would otherwise rile up inmates.

Woodfox consistently maintained his innocence in the killing of guard Brent Miller. He was awaiting a third trial in the case when he was released from custody. Woodfox turned 69 on Friday.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-20

I hope the guard's family are all deceased so they do not read about his release. thumbsup.gif

Shame on you!

I'd rather hear how this old mongrel had no place to sleep after being released and after bedding down for his first night on a wet cold park bench that he is bashed to death after looking sideways at a young thug.l and that the guards family read about that !

The guy twice had his conviction for murder overturned on appeal and eventually pleaded no contest to manslaughter & burglary charges. In the meantime he was held in solitary for nearly 43 years which by most standards of justice is tantamount to torture.

Edited by simple1

The guy twice had his conviction for murder overturned on appeal and eventually pleaded no contest to manslaughter & burglary charges. In the meantime he was held in solitary for nearly 43 years which by most standards of justice is tantamount to torture.

.......meanwhile the victim, a prison guard who was file gently carrying out his duties protecting societies members from these violent scum never ever got to even return home to his wife and kids and kiss them goodbye.

The guy should never have been released, end of story.

Where is the proof that he did it. Answer, There is none , and he pleads not guilty, so why was he kept in jail. I hope that one day it will happen to all you members of the lynch gang !

You should read the article again. He pled "no contest" (not "not guilty") to both manslaghter and a lesser charge.

As an American I can say with absolute certainty that the US justice system is extremely unjust, most of all to African Americans. Those who think that anyone charged with a crime by the US justice system must be guilty are ignorant fools.

As an American I can say with absolute certainty that the US justice system is extremely unjust, most of all to African Americans. Those who think that anyone charged with a crime by the US justice system must be guilty are ignorant fools.

Agree, Ondral, from another American who's seen blacks unfairly treated for yonks. And, having spent some time in gaol as a younger man, I can assure you all guards are not purity personified. In fact, the profession often draws thugs who are given license to unleash their hatred and bias. Just saying.

And to keep a man in solitary for 43 years....despicable!

Where is the proof that he did it. Answer, There is none , and he pleads not guilty, so why was he kept in jail. I hope that one day it will happen to all you members of the lynch gang !

He was convicted of the lesser crime, so there was no evidence of 'intent' or something like that. Check the case and wind your neck in.

Convicted Criminal - Guilty.

simple1...please don't expect the first two respondents to actually read the full story----both are known for wanting to hit the keyboard as fast as possible......& are never known for letting facts get in the way of a recommendation for a good flogging or hanging. Your right 3 of them The first done 29 years and was found not guilty--the guy in question has had his conviction over turn 3 times by the Higher federal court...... mainly because the police will not produce the DNA which would prove guilty or not. The DA keeps counter appealing which keeps him in there.

The three-judge panel found unanimously ----Concluding that it amounted to a violation of the US Constitution, the judges struck down Woodfox’s conviction. The state of Louisiana refused to release him, however, and his guards refused to unshackle him or release him from solitary confinement.[2] On February 12, 2015, Woodfox was re-indicted----WIKI

Isn't it a mad system when 3 judges can say you should be released & a state says no you stay there until we can think up something better & try again......Anyway Lets all hope if we ever get arrested for anything that we didn't do-----the very last thing we would want is to look at the Jury & find those first two respondents sitting there.

*BTW they let him go if he would plead no contest---that means the state can not be sued

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry says the plea deal that resulted in the release of inmate Albert Woodfox is not an admission of guilt--but was "in the best interest of justice." He also issued a statement saying the agreement was reached with the cooperation of Miller's family.

You should read the article again. He pled "no contest" (not "not guilty") to both manslaghter and a lesser charge.

Yeah,and he did 40+ years for manslaughter,most of it in solidary.USA a christian country,i don't think so.

Smacks of irony that lowlife OJ got off then, huh? Unjust the other way if you have money and clout.

After 43 years "no contest" could mean "do whatever, I'm past caring".

All that time in solitary is torture. The US criminal system is criminal and has little to do with justice. It's sad how many idiots assume that the criminal system is always right, never makes mistakes, or practices fraud and abuse on people that do not deserve it. And now I read they are giving people decades of additional time for making posts on facebook.

Good news.to me pity not for ever.

Agree, Ondral, from another American who's seen blacks unfairly treated for yonks. And, having spent some time in gaol as a younger man, I can assure you all guards are not purity personified. In fact, the profession often draws thugs who are given license to unleash their hatred and bias. Just saying.

And to keep a man in solitary for 43 years....despicable!

Am sure that as a young man you were innocent of any crime and the damn police, state, and country were picking on you.