Should Thailand have tighter gun control laws?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe Thailand needs tighter gun control laws?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most Farangs as far as I know can't own guns legally in Thailand or it is rare.

Most one meets are happy to be here and don't appear to be gun nuts or other wise they would

stay in another country where they could indulge their firearms enthusiasm and wallow in Gun Culture Myth.

Still as soon as any topic related to gun violence comes up on TVF the thread is immediately flooded with the same typical discredited pro-gun rubbish and propaganda. Pure National Rifle Association talking points. This and anything related to Palestine/Israel conflict is proof that the Netspace is partially populated by paid trolls.

Edited by arunsakda

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the last United Nations Survey on Crime Trends, Thailand ranks #3 worldwide for murders by guns, just behind South Africa and Columbia and ahead of the United States. Keep in mind, this represents the total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm.

Also, based on a homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants, Thailand ranks even higher than the United States (5.9 vs. 5). Time for a new survey methinks

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Murders-with-firearms

The Uk has some very serious gun laws that prohibit ownership of most guns and yet it doesn't stop people from being shot. It just means that only the bad guys and some of the police now have guns. Banning them doesn't work.

How can you say that banning them doesn't work. The UK is a very good example that it does work. The UK has a very similar population to Thailand, around 65 million, yet death by gun crime is almost 15 times higher in Thailand..... of course banning something won't mean it's totally eradicated but even you must see that the figures for gun crime in Thailand are far far far higher than the UK.

The problem here is that even if they do ban guns, the law won't be implemented correctly because the police are incompetent and corrupt and the people are used to having guns whereas UK citizens are not. However, you have to start somewhere and a total ban would be the best thing they could do.

America should do the same too.

I am not sure if Thailand needs tighter gun control laws or not, but there is no doubt that Thailand is a dangerous country and for a lot of people a gun is necessary for their protection. Most people live in a Moo Bahn that is well guarded. Why are so many guards needed? Why such high walls? Why such tight security? Why so many CCTV cameras?

The few people whom I know that live outside a Moo Bahn or apartment with security all have guns and most have had to use them to ward off home invasions.

There is also the southern insurgency and I don't know that I would want to live in some of the affected areas and not have the ability to own a weapon for self defense.

The other situation is the absurd political situation which erupts far too frequently. Most people might not have needed to be armed in the past but who knows what the future holds?

Finally, do you trust the military? Do you trust the police to protect you in Thailand?

You must live in a different Thailand to the one I live in.

I know no one, Thai or Farang, who owns a firearm, and I know no one who has needed to fight off a " home invasion".

The Uk has some very serious gun laws that prohibit ownership of most guns and yet it doesn't stop people from being shot. It just means that only the bad guys and some of the police now have guns. Banning them doesn't work.

I think the UK has one of the lowest gun crime rates in the whole world, so it seems to be having a decent affect when put in comparison to countries without strict laws like the US.

In the UK is a policeman is issued with a gun and he fires it he has to account for every bullet. Also, he has to return the gun before he goes off duty to the issuing department and sign it back in

Based on the last United Nations Survey on Crime Trends, Thailand ranks #3 worldwide for murders by guns, just behind South Africa and Columbia and ahead of the United States. Keep in mind, this represents the total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm.

Also, based on a homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants, Thailand ranks even higher than the United States (5.9 vs. 5). Time for a new survey methinks

Nation Master has it in 4th place after South Africa, Colombia and Slovakia. The USA is in 10th place and the UK is in 44th place

Edited by gandalf12

Nation Master has it in 4th place after South Africa, Colombia and Slovakia. The USA is in 10th place and the UK is in 44th place

You're right when looking at the 'per capita' rankings (homicides per million) and not total homicides which I was basing it on. Either way it is still grim stats for the land of smiles. Here's a revised link:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Murders-with-firearms-per-million

laws in Thailand, you have them and do nothing to enforce them. why should gun control be any different.

guns do not kill people, people kill people.

why not eliminate knife's, spoon's, forks, motorcycle's, car's, machete, ice picks, all these items have been used to kill

people on purpose or accidentally.

if you put a loaded gun on a table and no one touches it, it will still be there in a hundred years.

it is people who kill people!!!!!!!!!