ride like miss daisy

tomyumchai

hmmmmm, well in my 15 years of being based in the south i have to say (and ive proved it by relocating to the north) that ive never come across a load of sunday riders as there are in pattaya. now im not a fast rider but i do know how to get somewhere before my visa expires and i can probably count the fast riders i knew down there on my manhood.

i think the last straw was riding to koh chang in january where the road captain wouldnt go above 80kph as he seemed to enjoy thais in cars brutally diving into the group in their attempts of making thai visa headlines of another farang to die on a motorcycle.

ive had issues riding in groups with other people as well, like riding from hotel bar A to hotel bar B 500km away but not stopping to see any attractions or points of interest on the way. for the 1st 3 years id ridden most of the way around thailand but hadnt actually seen anything other than the hotel at 'here' or the hotel 'there'.

there were plenty more incidents too and anyone quoting that bikers bullshit "ride out together, return together" or " no man gets left behind" will get told to EFF off from me.

in the end id had enough of riding like miss daisy or waiting 2 hours for people to catch up because the road wasnt straight anymore so i slung me hook and relocated to the north west mountains where i now enjoy an afternoon thrash round the 109, 107, that mental road over chiang dao to doi ang khang + the 1248 and many other roads that require leaning the bike over from vertical, sometimes 2 or 3 times in 5 seconds.......scary!

anyone else in the chiang mai area that likes a rant on a bike .......and can go round a corner without putting your feet down?

we have a great base 'oop on t'107 for jaunts around the top corner of thailand,drop in if yer passin, like smile.png

yes, thats an old photo, ive got all me gear here now.

post-155988-0-79555200-1456076300_thumb.

Edited by tomyumchai

Well I used to ride with HOG out from Pattaya and we used a road captain and a sweeper. Very good riders, the sweeper found my wife & I when I took a wrong turn and got us to the hotel where I got some flack from the other riders, but in a friendly way. The sweeper is not what I will call a Sunday rider, he always rides down to Phuket bike week in one day on his Dyna. OP, nice Sunday riding gear you wear there man, looks about the same as my downtown scooter gear[emoji6]

Well I used to ride with HOG out from Pattaya and we used a road captain and a sweeper. Very good riders, the sweeper found my wife & I when I took a wrong turn and got us to the hotel where I got some flack from the other riders, but in a friendly way. The sweeper is not what I will call a Sunday rider, he always rides down to Phuket bike week in one day on his Dyna. OP, nice Sunday riding gear you wear there man, looks about the same as my downtown scooter gear[emoji6]

yup, i was a bit overdressed compared to the others in sandals and sleeveless t shirts......:)

We ride because we are.. Don't think I would try a group... I would try maybe another rider I knew..and I could respect both his riding skills and critical thinking.

Nice bike is the exhaust stock?

Rhys

Agreed. There is an old saying among Appalachian Trail hikers. Hike your own hike. For us, it is ride your own ride.

David