Wallet Sized Laminated passport copy - where?

LannaGuy

Theres a guy operates at lower ground floor, Kad Suan Kaew, charges 30 Baht for a laminated credit card sized copy of your main passport page. I had some done last week in view of current problems out there. Not easy to describe exactly where, but on a corner position, very close to front entrance of Tops Supermarket.

Theres a guy operates at lower ground floor, Kad Suan Kaew, charges 30 Baht for a laminated credit card sized copy of your main passport page. I had some done last week in view of current problems out there. Not easy to describe exactly where, but on a corner position, very close to front entrance of Tops Supermarket.

From Tops going towards the food court, there is a guy that makes copies in a small corner. Is that who you are talking about? If yes, I didn't know he laminates also. I go to him for copying.

Digressing slightly but I have kept photos on my phone of bio page, cover, and visa (as well as other items like licenses and rental agreement). These can be enlarged on the phone and significantly clearer than a credit card size reduction. Have shown to BIB (twice only, once in Bangkok). They were happy with them for ID as saved them some hassle. Also unless BIB is stroppy maybe does not want to explain later as to how pedantic it was to detain given multiple verifiable I'd initially provided.

Of course....all may change at a whim. You pay your money you take your chance either way (reduced card or photos)

Just be sure to get both facing pages scanned and reduced. Folded over and laminated, with the corners rounded, it makes for a very 'authentic' looking document. If you just leave the back side blank white, it doesn't have the same effect.

i was more thinking having the visa on the back?

I'm not sure if he can put the visa on the back....but probably can. His place is in the basement opposite or kitty corner to the bank of ATM machines on the west wall (or about 50 feet south of the entrance to Topps, to the right of the guy selling all the dvd's).

Just be sure to get both facing pages scanned and reduced. Folded over and laminated, with the corners rounded, it makes for a very 'authentic' looking document. If you just leave the back side blank white, it doesn't have the same effect.

i was more thinking having the visa on the back?

To 'me,' and of course this is just my own personal opinion, when I made my card I wanted it to look like something produced by the government. I wanted it to look 'official.' I have a scanner, computer with PhotoShop, and a laminator, so I was able to experiment with different designs. I tried one with my current visa stamp on the back but it didn't give me the effect that I wanted. (Note that I said the effect that "I" wanted.) This doesn't mean it's any better or worse than any other design. I just felt that it looked more 'official' with the facing page and eagle on the back. It looked 'finished.' Especially after I rounded the corners of the lamination. I have a little clipper made just for that purpose, bought in a stationary shop.

The U.S. Government DOES produce a 'Passport Card,' valid for travel across both the Canadian and Mexican borders as well as flights to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. It's just not valid for entry into other countries. Over 4,000,000 of these have been issued by the US Passport Office. I have one, and in fact, other than the color, it looks like the card that I made from my regular passport.

Edited by FolkGuitar

To 'me,' and of course this is just my own personal opinion, when I made my card I wanted it to look like something produced by the government. I wanted it to look 'official.' I have a scanner, computer with PhotoShop, and a laminator, so I was able to experiment with different designs. I tried one with my current visa stamp on the back but it didn't give me the effect that I wanted. (Note that I said the effect that "I" wanted.) This doesn't mean it's any better or worse than any other design. I just felt that it looked more 'official' with the facing page and eagle on the back. It looked 'finished.' Especially after I rounded the corners of the lamination. I have a little clipper made just for that purpose, bought in a stationary shop.

The U.S. Government DOES produce a 'Passport Card,' valid for travel across both the Canadian and Mexican borders as well as flights to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. It's just not valid for entry into other countries. Over 4,000,000 of these have been issued by the US Passport Office. I have one, and in fact, other than the color, it looks like the card that I made from my regular passport.

The passport card works very well for identification here too. Why did you decide to make your own "homegrown" model when you can just use that as ID here and it actually is officially issued by the US Government? I've used mine at banks, hotels, when checking in for domestic flights, changing currency, etc.

The passport card works very well for identification here too. Why did you decide to make your own "homegrown" model when you can just use that as ID here and it actually is officially issued by the US Government? I've used mine at banks, hotels, when checking in for domestic flights, changing currency, etc.

I chose not to carry the officially issued card for two reasons.

One, because it has an RFID chip in it, and I'd need to keep it in its foil wrapper for security,

and two, because it's twice as thick as the one I made, and so takes up more room in my wallet.

My home-made one has never been refused, so it's not a problem.

Guest siamjourney

I would think having a copy of the picture page of your passport with your 90 day expiration date page on the back would be useful. The visa page is nice to have but you couldn't have the 90 day expiration page if you didn't already have a valid visa to begin with. I may be wrong as to what they are looking for.

They are worried about people overstaying so I think it's vital to be able to present something showing that you have not overstayed if asked. I agree with FolkGuitar that a nice presentation is best but I think having anything is much better than having nothing.

Having your current visa on the back is a must. If BiB can see your ID and some sort of evidence that you are here legitimately, it should save you a trip to the police station with your passport at a later date....unless you've been bad, of course whistling.gif

I posted in another thread that this is what I have done. I printed four copies - one in wallet, one in truck, one on scooter and a spare. The copy shop I used at that time (near to Kad Kom market) charged me 40 baht to trim and laminate all four copies.

Guest siamjourney
Rob8891,

You don't copy the page showing your 90 day overstay date? I'm sure your right about having to have the visa page but if they are looking for people overstaying the visa page doesn't indicate that. Maybe I'll do an extra laminate with that page to go with my current pix/visa laminate.

If you are going to the trouble don't you reckon your entry stamp and visa would be a better use of the other side?

I'm not sure if he can put the visa on the back....but probably can. His place is in the basement opposite or kitty corner to the bank of ATM machines on the west wall (or about 50 feet south of the entrance to Topps, to the right of the guy selling all the dvd's).

You think adding second photocopy to the mix would be beyond him.?

Rob8891,

You don't copy the page showing your 90 day overstay date? I'm sure your right about having to have the visa page but if they are looking for people overstaying the visa page doesn't indicate that. Maybe I'll do an extra laminate with that page to go with my current pix/visa laminate.

Correct, the stamps are annotated with the visa type. Both entry and exit by

If you are going to the trouble don't you reckon your entry stamp and visa would be a better use of the other side?

To date, I've never had a problem with what I made. I've been asked to show it dozens of times and no one has asked for more.

I doubt it would 'hurt' to have the entry stamp, but I've never been asked for it.

As I said, I was shooting for a certain 'look' more than having all the information. So far, that's proved to be sufficient. If, in the future I am asked for more, I can always provide it. No big deal.

I carry a laminated credit card size copy of the photo / data page of my passport (valid for 10 years from issue) visa, stamp pages are on my phone, all pages either have the passport number printed or punched on them. I have never had any problems.

Edited by Bantex

I rather like the idea of having a photo of the visa and 90-day info on the phone. I think I'll do that as well.

Although I've never been asked for it, it certainly doesn't hurt to have it, especially as it takes no room this way.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Some pretty elegant solutions. All I do is do a 50% reduction on my printer of the photo half of the passport ID page and the annual extension page and fold them up in the wallet. It works. No big deal. But then I don't boogie boogie at Zoe in Yellow ! And I don't get stopped on the road! Must be the halo I wear! 555!

My Thai DL has always sufficed. I've used my passport card a few times and no one questioned it. I've shown it to other American expats and the response has always been, "What's that?"

It's always been my belief that if a document 'looks' authentic, no one questions it.

Imagine if someone walked up to you and presented a wallet with an FBI badge and ID card. I know that I wouldn't know a real one from a fake. What does a real FBI identification card look like?

Some of the cards sold on Khaosan Rd look more authentic than the valid drivers license that I receive from my home state in the US simply because I get it via the mail. It looks like something just banged together on a computer and printed out. It's not even laminated. There is no photo on it, and even a State Trooper didn't accept it when I was stopped a few years ago. When I explained that I live abroad and get it through the mail, he called in to his HQ for confirmation. It didn't look authentic so he didn't believe it. And that was a real drivers license!

If I had shown him my Japanese drivers license and a IDP, he would have accepted that even though he wouldn't be able to read a single word on it (It could have been my University ID card and he wouldn't have known) but because it looked 'authentic' it would have been accepted.