Two Thai girls seriously injured in horrific fairground accident

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No competent folks setting it up, I reckon. It's like those times when you return home and see some repairman in shower shoes and shorts repairing the lift in your 20 storey apartment building.

I can top that. A repairman came around to fix my shower unit last week. He was standing in the shower tray with the cover off the unit and the water running. Where the cable connected to the live terminal it was sparking and popping,, note he was standing in the running water, cover off and power on! I screamed at him to stop,, complete buffoon.

It's always going to a problem where anyone with a screwdriver in their pocket can call themselves an electrician / plumber / builder and charge for dodgy and unsafe work.

Regulation and education is the only solution and we are long way from that.

I hope that the girls recover after such an horrific ordeal and that someone actually looks at the case rather then runs away and diverts attention to save face..

A catastrophe just waiting to happen, and no doubt, no such thing as OSH or safety inspections in this country. 'It is Thailand, nothing like that ever happens here."

Here we go again. Only in Thailand these things happens. 1zgarz5.gif

Better then check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_European_amusement_parks

This is Europe: of cours nothing like that can ever happen here.

Accidents can happen all over the world, well done. But surely you are not seriously suggesting that standards in Thailand are on a par with Europe for health and safety?

It's not Thai bashing to state the truth. Thailand needs to regulate and educate on health and safety as it's standards are very low, even for SE Asia.

No competent folks setting it up, I reckon. It's like those times when you return home and see some repairman in shower shoes and shorts repairing the lift in your 20 storey apartment building.

And why no officials tasked to check the equipment before it starts taking riders?

Lol. Are you asking this in earnest? Those fair rides are just a formula for disaster and accidents.

Wishing the girls a speedy recovery, terrible stuff. Also sad to see the usual "Thais are stupid, foreigners are demi-gods" posts, but hardly surprising.

not about that it's about regulation and health and safety and if you think Thailand has equal to farangland you are living in dreamland so carry on as if you were and jump on those fairground rides

Scary stuff. I hope the girls recover. Time to close these rides. sad.pngcoffee1.gif

I suspect the FAA give a negative report on the Thai's "AMO" that is self regulated and only on spot inspections from America Regulators discovered "Maintenance Snags" being deferred "Parts on Order"...will change once we get parts... it cost little in way of lives verses cost of operation...have "traceable parts" in America..parts have serial numbers and batch numbers..if a part fails it is the manufacturer not the operator that is at fault.

A closer inspection of rides in future..from Elephant to Mechanic dependent inspections... again Thailand only fixes when broken...no preventative maintenance...feed elephants before rides and only use approved shear tested bolts...known by markings..tri-angle..close tolerance to cross on bolt head to mark hi-sheer strength.

Ride or fly at your own risk...Experimental flight only?... example Bus companies "Post "Drivers on Accident free days" or post lastest inspections on circus rides and creditable operators...

A big request lets hope it starts here...

AME..n Health Engineer... preventative..like in health...oz prevention = lb or cure.

Ron

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, again.

And why no officials tasked to check the equipment before it starts taking riders?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif You obviously haven't been here long, have you!!!! 55555

I nearly wet my pants laughing!!

Wishing the girls a speedy recovery, terrible stuff. Also sad to see the usual "Thais are stupid, foreigners are demi-gods" posts, but hardly surprising.

Come on, mate, Coreano Ozzie... How much evidence does a person need to make a sound judgement as to the general competence in a place?

Look on expat boards for Japan. You'll not find the same degree of discontent with local Japanese competence and care. Same for Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, even Malaysia, and surprise Indonesia!

Why the Thais in particular draw a lot of negative comment is their (in general) fairly unique arrogance and incompetence. On average, Thais will not take well to non-Thais teaching them to improve. To contrast, by comparison, on average, Japanese are most often quite competent. Indonesians, on average, by comparison, are less arrogant.

Thais open themselves to such constant negativity because so many of us (all?) have encountered enough of these interactions to form a general impression. Most foreigners probably do not think they are demi gods or brilliant, but it is likely that many of us have things to teach and better ways of doing 'some' things.

You act forever arrogant and yet always muck up, and you will have created a image for yourself that is difficult to overcome.

Don't blame us please

Edit: these things are true across all levels of education and socioeconomic status in Thailand. It's fairly apparent to anyone not trying to avoid the truth that Thailand is an acutely nationalist place. Much of that nationalism comes through in this format: "don't tell me, foreigner, I know how to do that already."

Edited by PaullyW

An accident occurs --------------cue the Thai bashing comment.

To read some of these comments one would believe such occurrences never occur in the West ------------------------

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/02/alton-towers-rollercoaster-accident-four-seriously-hurt-as-carriages-collide

Read the link and indulge in some "farang" bashing smile.png

Why not check the quantity of each countries accident rate first before accusing of Thai bashing?

Why don't you provide the figures if you wish to make a point ?

You've already made a fool of yourself...stop digging! Road deaths here are much worse than the rest of the world....or do you need figures sent to you to believe it?

"A carnival ride collapsed..."

I take it that there is no Thai version of: "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey".

The brakes failed.

------------------------------------------

I tried to teach them many, many times the uses of a torque wrench, as part of my job.

Example: Rebuilding a 6.2 liter truck diesel engine........USE a torque wrench.....Pffff Farang! No need!

The entire concept made them look at me like I had corn growing out of my ears.

Head gasket leaked = water in the combustion chamber = bent piston rod = starting all over again from scratch..... = "Please Sir, you are clever. Show me torque wrench?"

Try explaining a torque-resistant nut to them (it's tapered on one end as well as slightly oval shaped = it DOES NOT get loose with out extreme, deliberate effort)..... Nah, these nuts from Somchai's shop will be just fine.

I tell them, that yes, it will indeed work for a few months, and then it will fall apart.......I get more blank stares.

I gave up on trying, and I tried off & on for a decade. This was all with the RTA too..... that pillar of society.

I have never been in favour of these fairground rides. They are assembled by labourers, many of whom are uneducated and rarely trained properly, having to assemble and pack up the equipment as quickly as possible without safety checks by a qualified engineer before being used. Very dangerous , especially with Thailands safety record.

'Health and safety' and 'Thailand' has never and, dare I say, will never, appear in the same sentence.