British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backpackers & drugs & alcohol are a recipe for disaster ................................................

She has been found .... but may need to go to a detoxification hospital if she's a drug addict.

probably a big night on the booze didn't help. Wasted resources as i'm sure Interpol and RTP have more important work to attend.

im a man but when I was 21 I would not have travelled to somewhere like Thailand alone and for a young girl to do this I think your asking for trouble, hope they find her alive and well.

Why? The fact that you had little spirit of adventure as a younger person does not mean the rest of the World population should avoid a place. I have been living here for 10 years + now and rent houses to tourists, including Families and single females I now have a "bank" of tourists, again including Families and single females who return to us every year for two, three or four months at a time. They have a wonderful time and cannot wait to come back the following year. Oh, and my 21 years Grandson came here and worked for 9 months - he loved it to bits and it certainly took the blinkers off regarding life in general. Yes, people can get in to trouble, particularly if they mix with the wrong company and get themselves into difficult situations, but for the vast majority, good judgement prevails and they have a brilliant time, enjoying all that the Far East has to offer and I don't mean just the dodgy bars and their hostesses.

Yes, happy she has been found safe.

I do not know her circumstances, but one needs to be careful about hallucinogenic drugs down south. If one is prone to melancholy, even a tiny dose can make one extremely paranoid and the effect can last for days (e.g. convinced people are chasing you and want to harm you). I understand that was the case for the last British backpacker who went missing.

Backpackers & drugs & alcohol are a recipe for disaster ................................................

She has been found .... but may need to go to a detoxification hospital if she's a drug addict.

probably a big night on the booze didn't help. Wasted resources as i'm sure Interpol and RTP have more important work to attend.

Just an opinion, but most likely a bad trip and taking some psychadelics that she couldnt handle, and in an environment like thailand made it worse..

u can make some bad decisions in this state as, her reality is non -existent.. only thing most people try to do is drink to come down.. prob explains calling her folks and the paranoia of other reports..

doubt shes a drug addict but made some wrong decisions and scared her family.. idk about not calling her parents in a week. thats kinda a little suspect, which might suggest the latter.. who knows.. we are just speculators from a keyboard with reports from the internet tht probably arent even accurate..

That's quite a leap! Now she's a drug addict who needs hospitalization ?

Nobody, especially her parents said she was as a drug addict. It's possible to become a drug addict in one day??

News report is Thailand she was missing, she mentioned to her parents she was concerned for her welfare, it was reported she was disorientated and now she's show up at the airport she was headed for.

It could have been food poisoning from some bad salmon mousse.

may need to go to a detoxification hospital if she's a drug addict.

Seriously what is wrong with you?

I'm sure Thailand would happily kiss goodbye to all that tourism revenue..

That's quite a leap! Now she's a drug addict who needs hospitalization ?

Nobody, especially her parents said she was as a drug addict. It's possible to become a drug addict in one day??

News report is Thailand she was missing, she mentioned to her parents she was concerned for her welfare, it was reported she was disorientated and now she's show up at the airport she was headed for.

It could have been food poisoning from some bad salmon mousse.

"if she's a drug addict" - ????? I'm aghast at how incredibly ill-informed people are on the issues around drug taking and /or mental health - you'll be accusing her of "injecting pot" next!

Most unlike TV readers to comment when they don't have the full facts.

There is a lot more to this and it is a sad story.

The best thing is -

Now she has been found.

My wife is with her, and taking care of her now.

Waiting for a relative from England to collect her later today.

Best wishes to her! hope she's on the road to mend

I hope she is safe and sound.

On a side note The British newspapers seem to be constantly reporting negative news from Thailand.

I wonder how many Brits are put off coming here with all that negativity.

"The British newspapers seem to be constantly reporting negative news from Thailand." - I wonder why that is?? What are you trying to say? Perhaps you think they shouldn't report anything?

THe British are the second largest group European visitors to Thailand after Russians.

maybe you'd care to list the "negative news" items they have reported.

Begin with this missing girl

then how about the death of a British guy on Koh tao, and the murder of 2 Brits on that island....maybe you'd care to complete the list?

Well, statistically, Thailand is the country that a British

tourist is most likely to die in, so it stands to reason

there should be a fair amount of bad news from all

the Brits that have died in Thailand.....

Keep in mind that creep who raped the Dutch girl (and his friends), remember the Dad made a video (?) is still lurking in Ao Nang. Prime target for that POS.

I liked that video, The evil man from Krabi. The Dad looked

like a bit of a scrapper, would be surprised if the Thai guy

is still alive...

Most unlike TV readers to comment when they don't have the full facts.

There is a lot more to this and it is a sad story.

The best thing is -

Now she has been found.

My wife is with her, and taking care of her now.

Waiting for a relative from England to collect her later today.

It's good she is found safe & unharmed.

Always serious concerns when traveling alone and especially on the islands.

We don't know the full story as you said ... it's only speculation, but the news was sketchy at best .....

We all wish her a good recovery and the family get safely home.

good luck.

What I don't get is why people are stupid enough to let their kids come backpacking in this hovel in the 1st place..... Helllloooo read a newspaper or is there world wide media ban on reporting about Thailand's death toll of forieners?....

Kids, she is 21.......Stupid

ironically, a 21 year old white girl is a child for many here, but a thai counterpart the same age is fair game.

There but for the Grace go we ....

Amazing, innit?

Edited by HooHaa

She should be charged for wasting my time and that of the police.

Apologies on tv soon. "she solly" (sic). I do hope she was not drugged like doc here suggested. Drugging people is low. Friend of mine had a spiked drink 20 years ago in nightclub and she felt anxious for many months after.

Funny how some think that anyone who has a misguided dabble with a substance or two is automatically a drug addict - but getting pissed every day is fine.

You beat me to it. Was just about to post similar if not identical statements.

As an aside, not so very long ago she would have had to have made a serious effort to make a simple phone call, checking in only weekly might have given her a chance to recover in what ever way necessary before calling home.

I think the expectation of instant and regular communications by internet has helped this kind of story become the public spectacle it is.

The Internet parental panic phenomenon is the modern day equivalent of your mother calling your friends house in the middle of the night and hearing about it in school the next day after you were found passed out in the porch swing.

This is not to say it can't be a great thing, however there is also a certain element of crying wolf.

That said when things go wrong, here and everywhere, they can go really wrong.

What is with the whistling? The police officer said she was found whistling in Black Canyon. What is the significance?

I do believe she was blowing into a "safety" whislte, which incidentally goes by another name I have no desire to introduce into the conversation.

I don't think she was performing the Andy Griffith show theme.

From a distance it must have been quite show.

Edited by HooHaa

Krabi Local, could you contact me privately, I'd like some more information if I may to use (anonymously) in my ebook about tips for traveling to and living in Thailand.

Any place is dangerous, and Thailand is on-the-whole one of the safer destinations if you keep your wits about you. The problem is that any place you're not familiar with can be deadly and, especially when you're in a holiday mood you tend to relax your guard and do stupid things sometimes.

I'm extremely relieved that Grace was found. Contrary to what many posters here have written (many of which are unnecessarily cruel comments), disaster can strike anyone at any time. My daughter (same age) got struck with encephalitis when in Malaysia (probably picked it up on the plane!), luckily she got home in time Actually, I found her catatonic, outdoors, and rushed her to hospital. She ended up in hospital on her next trip overseas, she passed out in a shopping center and was rushed to the local A&E. Very unlucky. I thought it was a relapse of encephalitis. Similar symptoms but completely unrelated. It turns out she'd been drinking too much water (just water, can you believe it!?). Low sodium levels in your blood causes disorientation and seizures. It can be deadly if not treated correctly.

I've also had some close shaves that could easily have ended up in disaster. And I know several friends who've ended up seriously ill (in one case dead) for anything from a stupid lapse of judgement to water on the road to some other idiot driving too fast on the road to a dog coming out of nowhere to bite you on the leg.

And we're not all psychologically balanced either. Going on a trip can bring things to the surface that is kind of manageable at home (because of routines, habits, familiar surroundings, etc.) Heck, I'm a stable person, but I've occasionally flipped and got into potentially dangerous (or illegal) situations. Sometimes it could just be a bad day. Sometimes it's a case of 'male' pre-menstrual disorder. So imagine how difficult it must be for a young woman (or guy) on an exciting adventure in unfamiliar surroundings (in a language you can't read or understand), and when things go wrong and start to unravel...?