Tough Media Visa Rules Meant to Discourage 'Inaccurate Reporting'

webfact

Tough Media Visa Rules Meant to Discourage 'Inaccurate Reporting'
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14562173611456217421l.jpg
A crowd of foreign correspondents take photos of former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Feb. 12 at her residence in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — The Thai military government today explained that it placed new restrictions on the application of foreign journalist visas as a measure to crack down on ‘inaccurate reporting’ about Thailand.

The tougher media visa regulation will only target ‘fake reporters’ and those who cause damage to Thailand with their coverage, said Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Don Pramudwinai.

“Many foreign correspondents who live in Thailand are not proper reporters.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456217361

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-23

So are we saying then with this caption above that some of these people in the photo shoot of Yingluck are fake and part of rent a crowd? Or the photo shoot is done by genuine attendees who have correct status of being a corespondent, from all the millions of photos available to use to get that message over , this one was chosen, Is a hidden message in that fact?

By proper reporting they mean printing the rubbish they are told to print instead of the truth.

In 24 years as an accredited d foreign correspondent I have never, by any Thai government, been told what to write.

One veiled threat from Thaksin ("you're not Thai"), and some rather sad appeals from the Ministry to turn my attentions elsewhere is all I have experienced.

Not perfect (where is?) but surely not North Korea.

Off topic posts, posts with derogatory comparisons have been removed as well as the replies:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878797-updated-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

I wish to admire the quality of her butter and red and green oakleaf lettuce. I wonder how her cos lettuce tastes?

She seems to be a fairly competent hydroponic gardener. Good job YS.

Salad days in Lad Phrao.clap2.gif

Does she hold a legitimate verified chanoot or is it on encroached land, does she have the correct farming permit and is she paying all the appropriate taxes and are they up to date?

1. Does she hold a legitimate verified chanoot (sic)? It's in the backyard of her mansion in Lad Phrao

2. Is it on encroached land? No it's on very expensive land.

3. Does she have the correct farming permit? Does she look like a farmer? It's only a hobby.

4. Is she paying all the appropriate taxes and are they up to date? She's a Shinawatra, does that answer your question? thumbsup.gif

Fact is that once again she's in the news pursuing a seemingly harmless pastime (last time it was mushrooms, now lettuces) and still manages to entertain the news organizations and TVF members. She loves the media exposure and probably hands a bunch of greens to all the cameramen present.

Next month we will be able to inspect her tomatoes and onions.post-9891-0-13171700-1456228095_thumb.jp

just last Wednesday it was reported the Japanese government is doing a similar kind of thing. First they threatened journalists with 10 years imprisonment for reporting anything negatively regarding the ongoing Fukushima disaster fallout. (That's why news regarding that has all gone quiet).

Now they have extended these warnings and restrictions to reporting anything negatively about the Japanese economy.blink.png

Japanese TV anchors lose their jobs amid claims of political pressure

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/17/japanese-tv-anchors-lose-their-jobs-amid-claims-of-political-pressure

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Wherever you live in the world, you are required to abide by local laws. Most journalists who work here know that the Thai concept of "freedom of speech" is entirely different from the western concept. Some are not willing to work within that framework, others compromise their journalistic principles in order to have a job. A very common state of affairs.

Could they give examples of the "fake reporters" and inaccurate information that they're trying to ban? To my knowledge the only inaccurate information being published comes from government press releases and polls.

Try reviewing some BBC "reports".

When you have done so come back and tell me those reports were fair, balanced and truthful.

Start your review of the BBC story's with the red mob riots, bombings, shootings,and arson.

edit

removal of typo

Edited by sunnyjim5

Given the Orwellian nature of this regime, "inaccurate reporting" is spot on... coffee1.gif

Enacted on Feb. 18, the new visa rule effectively bans freelance journalists from working in Thailand, as it requires applicants to work “full time as a correspondent of a news agency” and be “employed by a news agency registered with the competent agency of either Thai or foreign government.”

So some guy like Nick Nostitz, who has gone through h3ll to report on the last 10 years of conflict is set for deportation?

The rule also includes a vaguely-worded ban on “work or behavior which indicates possible harm to the public or constituting any disruption to the public order or to the security of the Kingdom.”

Ah, this is the "up to us" clause. Just perfect...

"We don't like you.... Next krap" ...

By proper reporting they mean printing the rubbish they are told to print instead of the truth.

In 24 years as an accredited d foreign correspondent I have never, by any Thai government, been told what to write.

One veiled threat from Thaksin ("you're not Thai"), and some rather sad appeals from the Ministry to turn my attentions elsewhere is all I have experienced.

A whole new day is dawning. Its going to another level. You would be surprised world wide how different countries are controlling the media. Then you have the Faux News style of reporting in your face right wing nut jobs. They all have an agenda countries and media alike. Some separately others hand in hand.

those who cause damage to Thailand with their coverage

Such supposed damage comes from reaction to the news report, meaning it is after-the-fact. What these restrictions require is that the reporter self-censor his report according to perceived and broad criteria. The reporter is further pressured by the requirement that all reporting must be done while the reporter is physically in Thailand, ie., cannot avoid arrest.

Prayut has often commented that when the news media does not report in a manner that brings happiness to the Thai people, it is damaging to the nation. With free and unaccountable interpretation of damage the Prayut government can mold news reporting to whatever message it wants to deliver to the Thai people. Including misleading and untruthful messages so long as they bring happiness to the people.

Could they give examples of the "fake reporters" and inaccurate information that they're trying to ban? To my knowledge the only inaccurate information being published comes from government press releases and polls.

Try reviewing some BBC "reports".

When you have done so come back and tell me those reports were fair, balanced and truthful.

Start your review of the BBC story's with the red mob riots, bombings, shootings,and arson.

edit

removal of typo

I won't get into an argument of what stories are fair and balanced, which is subjective.

It appears you can't give examples of fake reporters or inaccurate information.

Great, never told what to write, unfortunately there has on many occasions the big fella has told the press to stop asking certain questions, and had a hissy fit while making veiled threats and "inviting" editor's in for a chat/ attitude adjustment.

The Aussie guy from Phuket news knows well just what the Thai Navy is like, threats of legal action for reprinting a Reuters article on human trafficking.

and there another 2 well known investigative journalist's facing legal action for publishing story's that is not quite flowers n butterfly's but tell the truth about Thailand,

Then there's the sister of Hannah (Kho Tao) victim, being told that The Thai bib might come after her for defamation and the computer crimes act, saying things that were critical of the BIB and the judicial system.

So these people may have been told what they can write, but if Thailand doesn't like it then they most defiantly make sure that you and everyone else knows they will come after you, so sorry friend but I and many others could see that as a form of censorship and intimidation.

I wish to admire the quality of her butter and red and green oakleaf lettuce. I wonder how her cos lettuce tastes?

She seems to be a fairly competent hydroponic gardener. Good job YS.

Salad days in Lad Phrao.clap2.gif

Does she hold a legitimate verified chanoot or is it on encroached land, does she have the correct farming permit and is she paying all the appropriate taxes and are they up to date?

1. Does she hold a legitimate verified chanoot (sic)?
It's in the backyard of her mansion in Lad Phrao

2. Is it on encroached land? No it's on very expensive land.

3. Does she have the correct farming permit? Does she look like a farmer? It's only a hobby.

4. Is she paying all the appropriate taxes and are they up to date? She's a Shinawatra, does that answer your question? thumbsup.gif

Fact is that once again she's in the news pursuing a seemingly harmless pastime (last time it was mushrooms, now lettuces) and still manages to entertain the news organizations and TVF members. She loves the media exposure and probably hands a bunch of greens to all the cameramen present.

Next month we will be able to inspect her tomatoes and onions.attachicon.gifveg.jpg

(Quote)

I think I prefer melons to tomatoes and onions.

Edited by joebrown

Looks like Thomas Fuller of the NYT got out just in time.

If he knew he was going I wonder if that article was a parting shot?ph34r.png

But what is to stop any of these journalists who don't hold back anything in their articles from returning from time to time on a tourist visa, gathering their information clandestinely and then returning to their own countries and exposing the latest?

Unless it's going to be like North Korea where even you are put under the spotlight when applying for a tourist Visa to visit there just because your job is as a journalist?facepalm.gif

Edited by midas

just last Wednesday it was reported the Japanese government is doing a similar kind of thing. First they threatened journalists with 10 years imprisonment for reporting anything negatively regarding the ongoing Fukushima disaster fallout. (That's why news regarding that has all gone quiet).

Now they have extended these warnings and restrictions to reporting anything negatively about the Japanese economy.blink.png

Japanese TV anchors lose their jobs amid claims of political pressure

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/17/japanese-tv-anchors-lose-their-jobs-amid-claims-of-political-pressure

What has that to do with Thailand?

You're just doing the usual junta fanboy thing by giving an example of it happening elsewhere, therefore there's nothing wrong with them doing it here.

Wherever you live in the world, you are required to abide by local laws. Most journalists who work here know that the Thai concept of "freedom of speech" is entirely different from the western concept. Some are not willing to work within that framework, others compromise their journalistic principles in order to have a job. A very common state of affairs.

Freedom of speech is what it is. Concept doesn't come into it. Like democracy, you either have it or you don't.