Aussie survives Phuket balcony fall

snoop1130

Aussie survives Phuket balcony fall
Winai Sarot

post-249866-0-63633700-1456235319_thumb.

PHUKET: -- A conscious Australian tourist was rushed to hospital after falling from the third-floor balcony of a Patong hotel just after midnight today.

“Jonann Petschauer, 65, fell off the balcony attached to his room and through a glass ceiling at Charm Resort Phuket,” said Lt Col Anukul Nuket of the Patong Police.

Mr Petschauer was on holiday with Jacqi Lillian Spencer, 52. They were scheduled to check out of the hotel on Friday.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Aussie-survives-Phuket-balcony-fall/63232?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-02-23

How is it that so many foreigners fall off balconies in Phuket and Pattaya ? What is going on ?

That's also something I would like to understand. How come this happens so frequently here?

Well now we got a survivor for once who could shed some light onto this mystery.

How is it that so many foreigners fall off balconies in Phuket and Pattaya ? What is going on ?

Drunk.

Combined with low or insecure balcony protection guard rails ...

You , of course are correct!

ALL balconies should be be fully enclosed with a fine steel mesh smile.png

Drunk.

Mandatory helimesh or in this case balcomesh.

post-119133-0-25450800-1456238530_thumb.

Drunk.

And a dose of incredible stupidity....it seems this guy was not even with a 20 something Thai waif....in Phuket with a 52 year old expat woman AND drunk.....man those are some bad life choices.

It is strange though that there are so many falls from balconies in Thailand. You never hear of such incidents in other countries to the same extent. Something is obviously unique in Thailand that the rest of the world does not have, not sure what that is though.

Drunk.

Yes, the mesh safety netting would be good, combined with trampoline nets surrounding the building to reduce fall impact!!

I guess the height of the average Caucasian or Westerner makes us vulnerable to tipping over and falling over those low balcony railings. I am only 5' 7" so I have told all my friends here in the States that if you ever read about me falling off a balcony, don't believe it. Of course there won't be much they can do about it.

Drunk.

Don't forget the razor wire!

That's also something I would like to understand. How come this happens so frequently here?

Well now we got a survivor for once who could shed some light onto this mystery.

Glad this bloke survived.

If you look at the height of the average Thai balcony railing, it is low compared to the west. While it may be above hip height for most Thais, for me (6'1'') it actually comes to mid hip height. Most westerners are taller than their Thai counterparts.

Now if you are a little drunk, or simply lose your balance, hitting the balcony has the effect of catapulting the heavier, top half of you forward and over (centre of gravity and all that stuff)

Of course none of these simple observations will make a difference to those on TV who believe every single death of a westerner is caused by a Thai.

Who could blame the poor bugger. Stuck in Thailand with a 50 + farang woman. Yes, get another six pack, and head to the balcony to see what he is missing. Low rail had him tricked but. At least now, the thai nurses are looking after him.