Where You Froooooooom?

khall64au

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i am concerned it aint where you come from thats important. It's where your going that life is all about. Chew on that ha now you can all fight over where your going instead of where you come from!

He he ... I guess that is my point :D . It just gets all too hard and repetitive when asked every single day from all nationalities. I joke with the local Thais and tell them I am from Phuket. No problem - but I do add that I was born in Australia.

Anyone else who asks - and I mostly find that far too many have been to Oz and know the city regions reasonably well - keep pressing for a microcosmic locale. This is where it gets difficult for me as I have not been FROM anywhere specific for 25 yrs. And, I may add, people tend to classify you as a particular social 'breed' if they are familiar with the area one "grows-up" in!!! :o

I am not the 18 yr-old who left her home-town and I refuse to be classified by the current socio-economic profile that is now representative of that region... BUT people still tend to do that DON'T THEY?

Therefore, I am from Phuket ..... SO THERE!!! :D

For better or worse, Thailand has yet to jump on the politically correct bandwagon. Thus the question "Where are you from?" contains an implication that notwithstanding how long you have been here, as you don't look Thai, you cannot be "from Thailand". The question is asking primarily for your nationality and ethnicity.

not an argument jd (unless you want to make one).he has nothing better to do. I expressed an opinion.if its not his he does not accept it. You are the one defending it but I think telling people your from phuket sounds ridiculous unless your thai. Just an opinion.I agree with you 100 percent, it sounds ridiculous

it's not a difficult question.

the place you were born or brought up is where you're from.

I just dont get this 'farang calling theirselves Thai' business. :D:D:o

Wow! so .... I was born in the US .... raised in Texas and Maine as well as overseas .... moved here from Colorado where I lived off and on for years ..... have places in ATL and Maine and texas and Co ....

but LIVE in Thailand and have not been in the USA in YEARS .... please game ... where am I from specifically?

Over the past thirty years of my life i have traveled extensively throughout the world writing novels, plays, short stories, auto-biographies, essays, and-occasionally-a bad check.

I often tire of myself and i have a notion that by travel i can add to my personality and so change myself a little. However the one thing that remains constant is the fact that i originate and therfore come from only one place.

This is a sentiment shared by many travelers, jdinasia, for you to say you are from anywhere other than the place you grew up as a child is pathetic. you sound like the kind of person i avoid at all costs whilst on the road.

I cringe at the thought of being an audience to your babble.

All right then, imagine an angry Apache shoving cactus needles beneath your fingernails....

If there is a merciful God, I fully expect to be granted at least a five-year reduction of sentance in purgatory for the suffering so virtuously endured every time i read one of your posts. Should I end up in hel_l, I know who my cell mate will be.

You talk about being well traveled and this is just proof that a bore who travels, is, simply, a well traveled bore. :D

Wow! so .... I was born in the US .... raised in Texas and Maine as well as overseas .... moved here from Colorado where I lived off and on for years ..... have places in ATL and Maine and texas and Co ....

but LIVE in Thailand and have not been in the USA in YEARS .... please game ... where am I from specifically?

Over the past thirty years of my life i have traveled extensively throughout the world writing novels, plays, short stories, auto-biographies, essays, and-occasionally-a bad check.

I often tire of myself and i have a notion that by travel i can add to my personality and so change myself a little. However the one thing that remains constant is the fact that i originate and therfore come from only one place.

This is a sentiment shared by many travelers, jdinasia, for you to say you are from anywhere other than the place you grew up as a child is pathetic. you sound like the kind of person i avoid at all costs whilst on the road.

All right then, imagine an angry Apache shoving cactus needles beneath your fingernails....

If there is a merciful God, I fully expect to be granted at least a five-year reduction of sentance in purgatory for the suffering so virtuously endured every time i read one of your posts. Should I end up in hel_l, I know who my cell mate will be.

You talk about being well traveled and this is just proof that a bore who travels, is, simply, a well traveled bore. :D

Thanks ENoodles/Lacoste :D Coming from you that is a grand compliment :D

Edited by jdinasia

That's it? I gave you more credit than you deserve.

Oh well, another one bites the dust :D

Hopefully you are correct .......

14) Multiple accounts on the Thaivisa Forum are not permitted. Any member found to have more than one account will be suspended. Suspended or Banned members found creating additional accounts will be banned.

And yeppers getting into a flame war with you has 0 appeal .....

as to the topic .....many of us feel this way :D many do not:) Most that don't get Khall's point don't live here ... don't speak the language ... and or are retired :D

Edited by jdinasia

where are you from has always meant where do you live.

not in my book.

Agree,

Semantics aside, your native country. :D

I agree that when you are in another country and it is obvious that you are not a "local" the question "where are you from?" refers to your native counrty.

But that aside, when I am in Thailand I enjoying answering that question with where I have lived and worked for the past 6 years, "Korea". This answer usually brings a delayed response :o as they ponder where Korea is and how a Korean should look. When they tell me that I "don't look Korean" I explain that I was born in the USA, live and work in Korea, but my house is in BKK; however when I retire my answer will be "Burriam."

Hopefully you are correct .......

14) Multiple accounts on the Thaivisa Forum are not permitted. Any member found to have more than one account will be suspended. Suspended or Banned members found creating additional accounts will be banned.

as to the topic .....many of us feel this way :D many do not:) Most that don't get Khall's point don't live here ... don't speak the language ... and or are retired :D

Really? :D

Perhaps an 'I'm an expat, not a tourist, please treat me with the appropriate respect' t shirt would be more suitable?

'most that don't get Khalls' point ...' ... the rest just cannot read :D

I'm sure we can all read, though you, it appears, are unable to write. :D

:o

Edited by jdinasia

I flew my Mother to Singapore back in May and was in a taxi to our Hotel when the driver asked where I was from, I said Thailand and my Mother was very quick to say "No! he is Australian" ( speaking very slowly to this poor taxi driver who speak fluent english) "but he lives in Thailand". My Mother is still a closet redneck and thats why I have only ever flown her to Thailand once.

'most that don't get Khalls' point ...' ... the rest just cannot read :D

I'm sure we can all read, though you, it appears, are unable to write. :D

Sir, I have no desire to converse with someone who has such a limited mental capacity as you do. :D

As for your continued reference to 'multiple accounts', I realy am at a loss to what you are attempting, and failing to convey. :D

I'm from me Mum ...... there..... that's that sorted :D:D

I,m with you this time Thaddeus.

My usual answer is " I,m from mi mams belly " and then wait for an expressive reaction or a verbal one.

I can then ascertain if they have a sense of humour or are serious on life in general.

Talk about a simple question being taken out of context.

It,s a straight forward question and not to complicated and ought to generate positive lighthearted posting not negative B.S.

In my humble opinion of course

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

He he ... I guess that is my point :D . It just gets all too hard and repetitive when asked every single day from all nationalities. I joke with the local Thais and tell them I am from Phuket. No problem - but I do add that I was born in Australia.

Anyone else who asks - and I mostly find that far too many have been to Oz and know the city regions reasonably well - keep pressing for a microcosmic locale. This is where it gets difficult for me as I have not been FROM anywhere specific for 25 yrs. And, I may add, people tend to classify you as a particular social 'breed' if they are familiar with the area one "grows-up" in!!! :o

I am not the 18 yr-old who left her home-town and I refuse to be classified by the current socio-economic profile that is now representative of that region... BUT people still tend to do that DON'T THEY?

Do you plan to remove the "au" from khall64au ? :D:D:D:D

:D

Khall just say you are from planet Earth.

Or someone ask: Where you come from?

Me: I come from Vietnam

You not look like Vietnam guy.

Me: True

So where you from

Me: Vietnam I told you

I not believe you.

Me: OK If I can show you I come from Vietnam you buy me a beer?

Sure!

Me: Shows ticket coming from Vietnam to Thailand

My my, that is a very good point there Mr. Croc! :D

when in thailand,

on the golf course or having a drink and somebody asks 'where you from' i would be polite enough to tell them england and not get into a complex debate, unlike some it seems.

a straight forward question does deserve a straight forward answer, unles you are in politics of course.