Where You Froooooooom?

khall64au

I don't know about anyone else but I have a problem when someone asks me "where you from?"... I've not lived in any one place for more than a few years since I was a teenager - I'm not really sure where I'm from, anymore! :o

Especially these days, since I have lived on Phuket for 4 years, and somewhere else a few yrs before that.... and then several other locales a few yrs each, etc.

So, these days - I just say I am from PHUKET! Is there anything wrong with that? The Thai locals laugh and accept it - no worries! :D Some farangs have a problem with it ... but - up to them!

It's ok to be FROM where you are in the moment... Right??? :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about anyone else but I have a problem when someone asks me "where you from?"... I've not lived in any one place for more than a few years since I was a teenager - I'm not really sure where I'm from, anymore! :o

Especially these days, since I have lived on Phuket for 4 years, and somewhere else a few yrs before that.... and then several other locales a few yrs each, etc.

So, these days - I just say I am from PHUKET! Is there anything wrong with that? The Thai locals laugh and accept it - no worries! :D Some farangs have a problem with it ... but - up to them!

No, its not ok to be from where you are at the moment Khall. :D

I am sure you understand what people are really asking you. They just want to know what nationality you are. What your native country is.

Edited by TRIPxCORE

I tell everyone who asks me this question that I am from 'Limbo Land'

Why?

Well I may be English but its been so long since I was there that I can no longer make any claims to having anything in common with the country and culture anymore and as I am not allowed to stay 'love you loooong time' anywhere else either then that leaves me in a land called Limbo.

Born in the French Sector of Berlin, Germany. Moved to USA at age 12 and then enlisted in the U.S. Army, at an early age, which of course took me all over the world for my 20 years, with even a 14 month visit to sunny Vietnam earning me the right to wear a CIB (the old-timers will understand)

Upon retirement moved to Italy where I founded Abacom and Abacus, one of the first ISP's in Europe in the early 90's. Also published two Base Newspapers for the military in the Med and was the sole cellular agent/provider for all U.S Naval Forces in the Med when cell phones where the size of suitcases. This in addition to working on and off for MCI Worldcom. Lived in Europe 10 years until I passed through Thailand on a 4 day layover and met Mrs. Mouse. Moved her to Europe 8 years ago and then decided she would be better off at home and I would adjust easier. Sold all and came here 8 years ago and never looked back. She kept her promise and gave me the football team of kids and I fulfill most of her dreams in exchange. Life is good! Visit our family website at: http://www.family.michelonia.com

But, do not forget for the sun to shine, it also has to rain sometimes. And in LOS there is even the "Rainy Season"

Wow! Looking back, I guess I got carried away and practically listed my life's resume. All he asked for is where I came from. MY MOMMY!

I like to joke as I say, "I'm from Chiang Mai!" When I lived on the beach in Hua Hin, I wanted to tell some cocky Bangkokian, "I'm from Hua Hin, and you, sir, are a stranger here."

If pressed further, I say I'm a Texan. :o But the sharp listeners don't hear a Texas accent, and I have to admit my birthplace is Chicago and I didn't leave the area for almost 19 years.

I could say "I'm from Mexico" but it's cruel to talk about countries that most Thais don't know.

Not when you are awaiting your Vegemite delivery :D

but I am right there with you ... 3 years in BKK kinda lends me to say BKK when people here in HKT ask

In the past I have answered this with "Me white man, me come from big metal bird in sky"

Now it depends on where I am asked it.

In the village the answer is Angrit

In Ban Kruat the answer is Sai Tho Huk (local dialect)

In Buriram I answer Ban Kruat

Anywhere else, it's Buriram.

it's not a difficult question.

the place you were born or brought up is where you're from.

I just dont get this 'farang calling theirselves Thai' business. :D:D:o

Wow! so .... I was born in the US .... raised in Texas and Maine as well as overseas .... moved here from Colorado where I lived off and on for years ..... have places in ATL and Maine and texas and Co ....

but LIVE in Thailand and have not been in the USA in YEARS .... please game ... where am I from specifically?

Not so sure about this. Our son did have tremendeous problems in school to explain where he is from.

Born in Hong Kong, German passport, German father, Japanese mother, brought up in Taipei and later in Bangkok.

Now where would he be from? Certainly not from Hong Kong, neither from Taiwan or Thailand.

He later settled for my hometown, which he hardly ever saw, except for some visits to the grand parents.

Wow! so .... I was born in the US .... raised in Texas and Maine as well as overseas .... moved here from Colorado where I lived off and on for years ..... have places in ATL and Maine and texas and Co ....

but LIVE in Thailand and? and have not been in the USA in YEARS .... please game ... where am I from specifically?

USA.

Specifically .......... knew that point would be lost on you ....(as well as overseas) blah blah blah ...

when asked where I am from ... I say "I live in Phuket." If they want to know more they can ask. Depending upon my mood they may get more details ....

Not so sure about this. Our son did have tremendeous problems in school to explain where he is from.

Born in Hong Kong, German passport, German father, Japanese mother, brought up in Taipei and later in Bangkok.

Now where would he be from? Certainly not from Hong Kong, neither from Taiwan or Thailand.

He later settled for my hometown, which he hardly ever saw, except for some visits to the grand parents.

mm, well, i suppose this is a tough one to call!! but it's an exceptional circumstance.

Specifically .......... knew that point would be lost on you ....(as well as overseas) blah blah blah ...

when asked where I am from ... I say "I live in Phuket." If they want to know more they can ask. Depending upon my mood they may get more details ....

:D:D:o

pathetic comeback.

you're not thai mate - that's the point Im making and you are crying about.

pathetic comeback.

Who said anything about claiming to be Thai... where are you from has always meant where do you live.

When I lived in Haydock I would say Haydock, when I lived in St. Helens I would say that (if I got asked by some one south of Potters Bar, I would say Liverpool, it's just easier)

Now I live here.... but I'm still English.

pathetic comeback.

Pardon me? the question is not "What is your nationality?" ... again specifically where am I from? Texas ? Maine? Colorado? Ga? overseas options??? ... no ... "I LIVE in Phuket"

where are you from has always meant where do you live.

not in my book.

Scottish book?

game4shame

Group: Advanced Members

Member No.: 14,782

You may like to update that then based on those rules :o

:o No, my nationality is American ... I live in Phuket :)My Embassy lists my perm address as the condo in BKK and my contact address here in Phuket.

A recent trip to Perth showed me exactly how true this is. The only valid answer has become "I live in Phuket" I was sitting with a group of people and asked "you're from the States right?" my reply "I was born in the US but live in Phuket, Thailand" reply "Oh cool I have another yank friend that's from Phuket now too! Do you know Danny?"

But back to the point ..... In the USA where should I say I am from .... since a rather huge country is as specific as you can get so far! Remember .... born in Mass., Raised in Texas Maine and overseas... lives major numbers of years in Atlanta and Colorado. Lived in Colorado when I moved here!

While you mull that over again ..... Please note ..... Your profile says you are From: Aberdeen/Koh Samui ... hel_l boy You aint Thai ... you CANNOT be from Koh Samui :D