Turning in loose change to your bank

luther

At some point in every thread related to finding a place that counts coins, someone will say that they know of a bank counts them for a certain amount of commision, but nobody will ever reveal the name and exact location of that mythical bank.

Prove me wrong!

Omsin Bank and SCB in CMU. Personal experience. QED.

i'm guessing but surely they can weigh the coins as they do in the uk - and if you're lucky they can give you some small plastic bags they must use for storing the coins. should be quick and easy.

who counts large numbers of coins in this day and age?!

He could scan them and bring the paper to the bank. Easier to count dots. Maybe they have a software for it. Or look for an app :)

We've been thru this before on the Chiang Mai forum and no one has ever reported finding a coin sorting/counting machine in Chiang Mai and there are numerous reports of unhappy bank tellers when confronted with coins.

There is one in the Gov't Savings Bank at Big C Mae Hia.

Edited by Rob8891

At some point in every thread related to finding a place that counts coins, someone will say that they know of a bank counts them for a certain amount of commision, but nobody will ever reveal the name and exact location of that mythical bank.

Prove me wrong!

Omsin Bank and SCB in CMU. Personal experience. QED.

There is one in the Gov't Savings Bank at Big C Mae Hia.

i'm guessing but surely they can weigh the coins as they do in the uk - and if you're lucky they can give you some small plastic bags they must use for storing the coins. should be quick and easy.

who counts large numbers of coins in this day and age?!

If you present bulk coins not in bags the bank will count them. If it is over a certain amount they will charge you a commission. If you present coins in bags they will check some but not all. A lot of times there is no count if in bags. This is my experience with the Bangkok Bank where I live in Phayao. They do not have counting or weighing machines.

• 7 months later...

In the USA there are actually coin counting machines located in a lot of the major grocery store chains. Dump all your coins in, the machine will count them, deduct a certain percentage for the count, and then spit out a receipt that you take to any of the cashiers and they give you green backs...... The manufacturer of those machines is the same manufacturer of those arcade crane machines.

19 minutes ago, amexpat said:

I've always wondered why people collect small change.

Still wondering. 

We have a large collection of small change...  I only ever go out with notes...  when I return the change gets deposited in a box..  this deposit builds up over time.. (I'd guess at a few thousand baht by now)... 

Its not actively collected... it just accumulates - I guess this is the same for many.

10 hours ago, hmficc said:

I like to heat them red hot in a cast iron frying pan and drop a few at a time out the window of my condo unto the street. Great fun for all involved. Nothing is totally free, hee, hee.

I tend to use super glue and glue a few onto the floors of high traffic areas in local shopping places.... :smile:

Edited by dingdongrb

On 2/24/2016 at 5:52 PM, buddhalady said:

Nancy - why shouldn't the Expats Club do the same as has Rotary - I've got mugs full of one baht coins and I'm sure I'm not alone in that!

CM International Rotary Club has created "Change for Children" ceramic owls that you can adopt at any CEC meeting.  You're welcome to bring the change back to a CEC meeting, deliver it to any Rotary club member and the proceeds will be used for the various children's projects of the Rotary club.