Taxi driver arrested for abandoning elderly foreign tourist on Bangkok highway

webfact

Taxi driver arrested for abandoning elderly foreign tourist on Bangkok highway

dn.jpg

BANGKOK:-- A Bangkok taxi driver has been arrested after he abandoned an 80 year foreign tourist on the side of a highway.

Pol.Gen Panurat Lakboon told reporters that Mr Witoon Borisut, 42, from Ubon Ratchathani was arrested on Tuesday.

Mr Witoon told police how he picked up Filipino national, Mr Reyes, 80, from Suvarnabhumi airport on Saturday but decided to dump him on the side of the road because the two men were having trouble communicating with one another.

Mr Witoon said he couldn’t understand where Mr Reyes wanted to go and pulled over to try and ask another taxi driver for directions.

However, despite the help of another taxi driver, Mr Witoon still could not understand Mr Reyes so instead decided to leave the old man and drive off.

Police were alerted a short time later by concerned motorists who reported seeing an elderly man walking along the side of the highway.

Mr Witoon was charged for violating section 100 of the Traffic Act and has been fined 2,000 baht. The maximum penalty for violating the act is one month in prison.

In his defence, Mr Witoon said that he told the other taxi driver to drive Mr Reyes to a local police station so they could provide assistance and not just leave the man on the roadside.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-24

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In his defence, Mr Witoon said that he told the other taxi driver to drive Mr Reyes to a local police station so they could provide assistance and not just leave the man on the roadside."

That's his defence?

He told a driver who hadn't picked him up from the airport to take the elderly man to the police?

Stupid as well as callous then, if he thinks that makes sense.

Airport taxis are <deleted> arrogant!! especially when your trip from the airport is just 12kms or less,,, they drive like hell and they just throw luggages out of the taxi when you reach your stop!! and 2000 baht for a penalty and 1 month in prison,,, that scumbag will be back at the airport in a month!!

Bangkok taxis strike again.If he could not understand the passenger why pick him up in the first place.

Take his license off him, that is what should have happened to the bloody moron.

Plus taking away your TVF posting license. Always wanted to see your blood boiling.....thumbsup.gif

Bangkok taxis strike again.If he could not understand the passenger why pick him up in the first place.

Take his license off him, that is what should have happened to the bloody moron.

ahhh I should have remember, take his license away too :D

As well as thumb screws and other nasty deeds, maybe bring back the Spanish Inquisition, that sort him out.

No, "Bangkok taxis did not strike again", one taxi driver let the other 80,000 who didn't dump anyone on the highway down.

Filipinos speak English, Spanish and Tagalog, So I find it hard to believe that the old man had an issue with communication, I think it was just another typical Thai taxi driver who can only speak an embarrassing version of Thailish.

Yeah, you could count on one hand the number of Bangkok taxi driver who can't speak Spanish and Tagalog.

@ happy joe

You

No. He laughs of you and your total lack of humor.

Good choice smile.png

Miserable Me

Yep, that's me.

Finding absolutly nothing humourous about an elderly man being dumped on the side of the road.

What a curmudgeon I am, eh.

Edited by Bluespunk

This is not a good look , what was the problem of taking the gentleman to the tourist police, at least make some attempt to clear his address up , reminds me of the late eighties when a young Canadian guy got tossed out into the gutter coming from old Don Muang int , because he didn't want to go to a massage parlour the taxi driver was promoting..........................................coffee1.gif

@ happy joe

You

No. He laughs of you and your total lack of humor.

Good choice smile.png

Miserable Me

Yep, that's me.

Finding absolutly nothing humourous about an elderly man being dumped on the side of the road.

What a curmudgeon I am, eh.

I shouldn't have to explain, but guess I will... I wasn't implying that an old man being dumped on the side of the highway was a good thing. I wasn't making light of his predicament and I wasn't defending all things Thai... what I was doing was making light of this forum and how they call for any 'criminal' to be executed, locked away for life etc. I really shouldn't have to explain it, but I guess this being TV I should have know better smile.png

Edited by English_M_in_Bkk

@English_M_in_Bkk

You

I shouldn't have to explain, but guess I will... I wasn't implying that an old man being dumped on the side of the highway was a good thing. I wasn't making light of his predicament and I wasn't defending all things Thai... what I was doing was making light of this forum and how they call for any 'criminal' to be executed, locked away for life etc. I really shouldn't have to explain it, but I guess this being TV I should have know better smile.png

Me

I don't need it explaining. I just don't see the validity in using the story of an old man being dumped at the side of the road in a foreign country to make a point about some of the attitudes of some of those who post.

Each to their own I guess.

As I say I'm just a miserable old curmudgeon.

As for saying you were one of the Knights, ok that was over the top and I apologise for that.

Edited by Bluespunk

Filipinos speak English, Spanish and Tagalog, So I find it hard to believe that the old man had an issue with communication, I think it was just another typical Thai taxi driver who can only speak an embarrassing version of Thailish.

All Filipinos who travel abroad will be fluent in English.

I suspect this problem has been caused by Thailand's refusal to accept that English is the World's de facto common language. Something to do with being the only country never colonised apparently. Actually in this case the Filipino gentleman got off lightly, he could have been charged with lese majeste due to faulty translation into Thai.

I read all these incidents people have with the taxi's from the airport and to be honest I have never had a bad one. It may help that i can speak Thai and converse with the driver but I cant say I have had a bad experience

Exactly Gandalf, any Filipino should arrive in Thailand speaking fluent Thai otherwise he may well be dumped on the highway. Something to do with Thai hospitality I am told. Speak the local language or get out of my car.

In China Beijing the government there made a huge effort to get the taxis into English before the Beijing Olympics because English is the language of the Olympics. No such effort will be made in Thailand in the foreseeable future.

I wonder if the taxi driver had the meter switched on as they are supposed to. But why should he expect another driver to take his elderly passenger to the Police station for assistance and why did he not do that. Taxis bring immense shame on Thailand and are probably ranked as some of the worst taxis in the world