Google is shutting down photo storage service Picasa

Tywais

Google is shutting down photo storage service Picasa

February 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Berlin - Google has announced that it's shutting down its photo sharing website Picasa, with support for the desktop application ending on March 15 and Picasa Web Albums closing on May 1.

Users of the service will still be able to access their Picasa Web Album photos and videos via Google Photos after that.

If they don’t want to use Google Photos, they’ll still be able to view, download or delete their content via a new site but they won’t be able to create, organise or edit albums as they can in Google Photos.

Anil Sabharwal of Google Photos described Google Photos as a "new and smarter product" that offers a better platform than its predecessor.

- DPA

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation February 24, 2016

R.I.P Picasa: Google shutters aging photo service

Image organizer Picasa was Google’s first headlong dive into the photo sharing and storing service, and in a lot of ways has paved the way for the company’s exploration into media. But now, the company is finally saying goodbye to the nearly fifteen-year-old product in a blog post today.

Posted on the old Google Photos/Picasa Blog, which itself hasn’t had an update in five years, the reason for the shuttering is simple: Picasa took away from Google Photos.

We believe we can create a much better experience by focusing on one service that provides more functionality and works across mobile and desktop, rather than divide our efforts across two different products.

So, that’s that. On March 15, 2016, Google will no longer support Picasa for desktop, and in May the company will create a new space for users to view their Picasa web albums. The content will also be available on Google Photos, for those who are less resistant to change.

Full article here - thenextweb

I think this is the beggining of the 'indexing exif data technique' soon you will be able to view every indexed photo took on a given device and what indexed sites it was posted on, as the serial number in the exif data and URL will be indexed or at least traceable.

This is not official BTW, but it will happen not too long in the future.

Just a heads up for anyone that wants to retain their privacy, it will happen one day. Strip your exif data if it bothers you.

There is a lot of good that can come out of it, but I wont mention it here.

• 4 weeks later...

R.I.P Picasa: Google shutters aging photo service

Image organizer Picasa was Google’s first headlong dive into the photo sharing and storing service, and in a lot of ways has paved the way for the company’s exploration into media. But now, the company is finally saying goodbye to the nearly fifteen-year-old product in a blog post today.

Posted on the old Google Photos/Picasa Blog, which itself hasn’t had an update in five years, the reason for the shuttering is simple: Picasa took away from Google Photos.

We believe we can create a much better experience by focusing on one service that provides more functionality and works across mobile and desktop, rather than divide our efforts across two different products.

So, that’s that. On March 15, 2016, Google will no longer support Picasa for desktop, and in May the company will create a new space for users to view their Picasa web albums. The content will also be available on Google Photos, for those who are less resistant to change.

Full article here - thenextweb

I use some of Picasa's editing functions from time to time. Will Google photo's have editing functions ?

I use some of Picasa's editing functions from time to time. Will Google photo's have editing functions ?

There are some basic editing functions, nothing sophisticated. Color filters, standard adjustment tools, rotate, etc.

post-566-0-78620400-1458469041_thumb.jpg

This has been a concern for me too... I have been meaning to say something about it....

I don't use Picasa for editing anymore ( I use Lightroom) From what I looked at the other day, it seems to show all images that used to be broken down to upload date etc, are all in one huge block of images now... That could be a pain... but I need to look more at how it will change and whether there is any viewing options/ set by date or name... as before.... been a little pre-occupied with something else lately! tongue.png

I just hope they will still allow images of various sizes to be uploaded...

Using Google Chrome, that also gives editing options, but is very tedious, only being able to do one at a time.... re-upload it and then start again! facepalm.gif

I never did get far trying Flickr....(but then it's not for editing ....)

Archived