World ski body pays to end defamation claim by Vanessa-Mae

webfact

Is there a better skier than Vanessa Mae, who could represent Thailand in olympics?

this is not on-topic but she's British born and bred and only applied for a Thai passport (a language she can't speak) to get into the Olympics through that loophole whilst there are FAR better skiers in Britain whose times (much better than hers) would not have made pre-qualifying and I hope that answers your question

Was even one of the "FAR better skiers in Britain whose times (much better than hers)" disadvantaged by her actions? Do you think she is the only sportsperson ever to seek a different passport to gain Olympic entry?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a better skier than Vanessa Mae, who could represent Thailand in olympics?

this is not on-topic but she's British born and bred and only applied for a Thai passport (a language she can't speak) to get into the Olympics through that loophole whilst there are FAR better skiers in Britain whose times (much better than hers) would not have made pre-qualifying and I hope that answers your question

Was even one of the "FAR better skiers in Britain whose times (much better than hers)" disadvantaged by her actions? Do you think she is the only sportsperson ever to seek a different passport to gain Olympic entry?

indeed not you are right as in this modern day it seems perfectly ok to 'choose' your country based on the lottery of your parents nationality and not your passport which seems utterly nonsensical to me and why Thailand would rush through a new passport for this skiing loser is anyone's guess and I'm sure it had nothing to do with her fame, beauty or money. As we now know she was Khun Innocent of any dodgy dealings at the qualification stage. We have had 'Eddy the Eagle' and now we have 'Venessa the Last'

At the time the story broke all the relevant timings were made public but unfortunately I can't remember what they were. Depending on the discrepancies did Vanessa ever wonder how she magically reached the Olympic qualifying time ?

Was it ever explained who or WHAT motivated the timing officials to fiddle the figures ?

Search the original subject then your questions will be answered. She didn't have to qualify and no figures were fiddled.

Wrong. She was not going to qualify until this event took place. The qualification event was flawed (at the very least) from start to finish.

The ski authorities are saying she was not aware of the irregularities surrounding this event and the results it generated.

However the event itself and the points she gained from it should not have counted towards qualification.

One of the events hastily organised to allow her to qualify was the ' Thai National JUNIOR Championship ' and she was the only competitor !

Luckily at no time did she ever think anything was perhaps a little iffy.

W

Ehhm was there ever a Senior championship ? No didn't think so.

At least she holds the title of Thai Junior Champion and why would being the only competitor raise any red flags ? ?

indeed not you are right as in this modern day it seems perfectly ok to 'choose' your country based on the lottery of your parents nationality and not your passport which seems utterly nonsensical to me and why Thailand would rush through a new passport for this skiing loser is anyone's guess and I'm sure it had nothing to do with her fame, beauty or money. As we now know she was Khun Innocent of any dodgy dealings at the qualification stage. We have had 'Eddy the Eagle' and now we have 'Venessa the Last'

To be fair to Eddie, he was a very good downhill skier who was on the fringes of making the 1984 British Olympic ski team, he only just failed to make the squad. He realised he wasn't going to make the 1988 squad either in downhill skiing, so he looked for another event to take part in. He may not have been as good at this event as downhill but he did have the skills required to qualify.

Ahh, rushing through new passports.

If that could be introduced as a new Olympic sport Thailand would have a good shot at the gold medal. rolleyes.gif