home cctv system

rickthailand

hi all,

i am interested in installing a cctv system around my house the one that you can view

online from anywhere. does anyone have a recommendation for a shop or installer?

also any ideas about the cost?

I am in san sai noi but i guess any shop in CM is ok.

Thanks in advance

rick

Just last week I had a system put in at my place. 8 high-definition cameras with the ability to view live as well as online, 2-year warranty, all direct wired --not wireless; some say that wireless is problematical. Cost including installation was 34,000 baht.

The manager of Suchart Computer (Suchart himself) operates out of the Hang Dong area, but he will install anywhere in the general area around Chiang Mai city; I, myself, live about 7 miles north of town. Suchart speaks good English, and is an excellent computer repairman as well. I'm very pleased with his work. Call him at 089-556-3931.

Just last week I had a system put in at my place. 8 high-definition cameras with the ability to view live as well as online, 2-year warranty, all direct wired --not wireless; some say that wireless is problematical. Cost including installation was 34,000 baht.

The manager of Suchart Computer (Suchart himself) operates out of the Hang Dong area, but he will install anywhere in the general area around Chiang Mai city; I, myself, live about 7 miles north of town. Suchart speaks good English, and is an excellent computer repairman as well. I'm very pleased with his work. Call him at 089-556-3931.

Just want to give a second for your recommendation of Suchart. He does excellent work.

I come from a country where we all have high walls, & a myriad of alarm systems on the walls and in the house. But they are all linked to an armed response company that sends a rapid response team if any alarm is triggered. And they deal with the intruder and the police. But here all you get is a CCTV system that simply records the incident. I did have a quote to have a system installed and then decided not to go ahead because there was no response available.

I come from a country where we all have high walls, & a myriad of alarm systems on the walls and in the house. But they are all linked to an armed response company that sends a rapid response team if any alarm is triggered. And they deal with the intruder and the police. But here all you get is a CCTV system that simply records the incident. I did have a quote to have a system installed and then decided not to go ahead because there was no response available.

What you need to find is an alarm system that automatically dials a phone number when there is an alarm (your phone number). Ideally it should be Celular based so that burglars can't just cut your phone line.

The CCTV system, which is a separate system, records what happens so that if there is an intrusion you will know who it is/was. You can also connect the CCTV system to the alarm system so that it sets off the alarm or so that video is recorded when the alarm is triggered.

Edited by THAIJAMES

You can buy a reasonable resolution camera with LED night vision and movable lens,controllable from your mobile phone or tablet, for less than Bt5000.

They generally also include motion detection so that they will record video or screenshots of what is in vision and email it to you.

I'd go to somewhere like Banana IT or IT City and see what they have in stock.

Bugger if you've got pets in the house though.

biggrin.png

Added: This is the most economical solution, because unless you really want to store all that video, you can just keep overwriting it. Remember that you'll need a (probably) MicroSD card for each camera as well.

Edited by Chicog

And even if a house holder can see his home getting burgled from far away with face IDs of culprits, does anyone think the police would still be interested? Make a report, throw in with the other still investigating files, don`t call us, we`ll call you. Not only that having CCT cameras in sight is an indication to thieves that there are valuables in the home.

Total waste of money and time. Best to not keep anything of value in the house or ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye.

i am interested in installing a cctv system around my house the one that you can view

online from anywhere

So what do people do if you see online that someone is burgling your house and your 500 km's away.

Same as the Spurs fans I guess cry in your beer.

Spurs often get burgled at home,nothing you can do about it.

online from anywhere

So what do people do if you see online that someone is burgling your house and your 500 km's away.

I don't know, perhaps ask your mate or neighbour to pop round with a shooter?

I think it would be better if you were broken into to have photos of the burgers. I have a baby monitor in my music room. I set the baby monitor to "on" when I leave just in case someone comes in to steal a guitar to 2. But I am very interest in the nice CCTV system and will give this guy a call soon. Thanks for posting the question, and the responses.

I think it would be better if you were broken into to have photos of the burgers. I have a baby monitor in my music room. I set the baby monitor to "on" when I leave just in case someone comes in to steal a guitar to 2. But I am very interest in the nice CCTV system and will give this guy a call soon. Thanks for posting the question, and the responses.

It's been said that simply having cameras which can be seen by would-be intruders may be enough for them to decide that your place is not the property that they want to visit. There are other, unsurveilled places further down the road that they can burgle.

But, should they nonetheless choose your place as a target, you will have their mugs recorded. Very likely the thugs are local persons--someone who may be an unethical neighbor, someone who knows your comings and goings. I'd think that it would be rare to have outsiders driving around country lanes looking and waiting for you to vacate your premises for a few hours so that they could walk off with your stuff. They don't know who your other neighbors are, nor what might happen if they were seen by your neighbors.

I still think that the cameras at 1,850 each are a good investment.

Would you just outline how the system works, various camera's connected to what, a single PC then wireline internet etc - does it call you or do you dial in to view etc?

Get a few standalone cameras around your house, they all run off your wifi, and usually have an app that can monitor remotely.

I overestimated the price, this is the one I use, 33 quid.

The camera can be set to trigger on motion detection and send you emails and record video.

http://www.dx.com/p/suneyes-sp-hm01wp-720p-1-0mp-hd-ip-camera-wireless-pan-tilt-with-two-way-audio-and-p2p-eu-plug-381654?tc=GBP&gclid=CIqkwvKKlcsCFbQV0wod0_MPoA

As someone has pointed out, the cameras should be able to power themselves in case of no electricity. Therefore the best option is a Camera that runs using POE (power over Ethernet) This way your cameras can connect and get power from a router, which is in turn connected to a UPS. A wifi connection is not as secure.

POE is basically a LAN cable that provides both power and connection. So the camera does not need a local electrical plug or wifi connection.

Would you just outline how the system works, various camera's connected to what, a single PC then wireline internet etc - does it call you or do you dial in to view etc?

Tough questions. I'm a fish out of water when it comes to electronics. Like a TV or even a radio, I just turn it on and it works; don't ask me how.

That said, the cameras are all wired directly to a "terminal" of some sort which is connected to the house electrical power as well as my internet router. I view the cameras on my computer monitor just as I would this very website. The cameras can also be monitored from any other device that has internet capabilities.

The system that I have does not have any alarm or alert function--if they even exist. The cameras are always recording (as long as there is no power failure), and the system that I have supposedly has about 30 days worth of recording time before it begins to overwrite.

That's about as technical as I can get. Perhaps it addressed a question or two.

Tough questions. I'm a fish out of water when it comes to electronics. Like a TV or even a radio, I just turn it on and it works; don't ask me how.

That said, the cameras are all wired directly to a "terminal" of some sort which is connected to the house electrical power as well as my internet router. I view the cameras on my computer monitor just as I would this very website. The cameras can also be monitored from any other device that has internet capabilities.

The system that I have does not have any alarm or alert function--if they even exist. The cameras are always recording (as long as there is no power failure), and the system that I have supposedly has about 30 days worth of recording time before it begins to overwrite.

That's about as technical as I can get. Perhaps it addressed a question or two.

Many thanks for that.

I wouldnt waste the money on a big "system", a "dummy" camera will deter most if placed in the right position.

I also have independent IP cameras indoors that have motion/IR detection and email me six rapid succession images when triggered, can be viewed and controlled through 360 degrees from anywhere via my phone, they cost 1200 baht each.