Talc-based products could cause cancer?

ravip

Now is this a widely known fact?

(Reuters) - Johnson & Johnson <JNJ.N> was ordered by a Missouri state jury to pay $72 million of damages to the family of a woman whose death from ovarian cancer was linked to her use of the company's talc-based Baby Powder and Shower to Shower for several decades.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/johnson-johnson-talcom-powder-lawsuit_us_56cd1083e4b0928f5a6dac44

Try telling your Thai wife or Gf. They have also proved that many of the body lotions many women use contain chemicals that are known Hormonal Disrubtors. Many people have a hard time realizing that the skin is the largest organ of the human body and it absorbs these chemicals into it.

There is some (poor) evidence that links Talc with genital (not ovarian) malignancy.

Even taking the data from these poor studies and accepting it as fact would only indicate a very small risk.

The US decision, I believe is a poor one that cannot be supported by substantial evidence.

The decision will likely be overturned but when it is there will be little or no publicity !

So this woman used J&J shampoo and powder for 35 years to cleanse her 'kunta' (I did not come up with this word, a woman advertising menstrual sea sponges on youtube says it's the right word to use)…..

Anyway, she could of used Esemtan….by far the most allergen free washing solution there is.

I've read talc , when inhaled can have a similar effect on the longs as asbestos. But ovaries ?

It is the asbestos. There is trace amounts of asbestos in talc. Don't know the percentages or if it varies brand to brand. (Source location to source location.) One thing caused by asbestos is mesothelioma, cancer of the inside lining of the abdominal cavity. How would it get in there? Dunno.

Edited by Longtooth

I've read talc , when inhaled can have a similar effect on the longs as asbestos. But ovaries ?

It is the asbestos. There is trace amounts of asbestos in talc.

That's inaccurate. There has been no asbestos in talcum powders since the 70s. Maybe - just maybe people shouldn't be inhaling large amounts of talcum powder or rubbing it into your ooni.

Steven Novella has written up a good, concise summary at the Neuralogica Blog:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-johnson-and-johnson-talc-cancer-case/

Newspapers sure love scary headlines. I posted a long screed in the 'weedkiller-in-beer' thread about the relative uselessness of these cancer warnings, which I won't copy here. I'll just link to the layman's explanation of how the IARC arrives at their carcinogen classifications and what those classifications really mean (hint: by themselves, not much).

What does "Probably Cause Cancer" actually mean?

The actual scientific reports rarely say that anything causes or probably causes cancer. Rather, what happens is that studies which show an increased risk of cancer in people who do/don't eat certain foods or do certain things get mis-reported by mass media in this manner. Correllation is not necessarily (or even usually) causation. And even where there is causation the magnitude of risk can be quite small. (if something occurs in just 1 out of 10,000 people and the risk is doubled, it is still just 2 out of 10,000). ...this too gets completely lost in mass media reporting.

Never pay attention to mass media articles of this type, always go to the actual article if the subject is of concern to you.