How much you really need to retire in Thailand

Quote Naam: “surely... i refrain from commenting on the IQ of anybody who does not detect the joking irony in my "caviar" statement because it would violate forum rules”laugh.png

Perhaps nothing wrong with their IQ, but in your interpretation of humour as noted by this from The Telegraph, “Now an international poll appears to reinforce the humourless national stereotype after concluding that Germany is the least funny country in the world”. So maybe your sense of humour is not as well-honed as you think?gigglem.gif

Quote Naam: “i am used since years to open as well as subtle accusations and silly insinuations based on the simple facts i state. it started many rainy seasons ago with a thread "how much do you pay for electricity?" in which i participated by stating that my average monthly bill is around 11,000 Baht. this caused an unprecedented "kilowatt uproar" ranging from calling me a liar to condemnations >>> "criminal behaviour / global warming / CO² footprint" = amusing and entertaining”.

Ever wondered why for years you have had this type of feedback? Time to look at yourself to understand why, but then again you could always blame the “disgruntled little men” or those with a “low IQ” or the other posters insulted, rather than your own shortcomings, EQ in particular (arrogance also comes to mind). whistling.gif

i like my shortcomings as well as my alleged arrogance and unjustified critical comments/judgments from frustrated little men amuse me tongue.png

by the way, it does not take a shrink nor is any other kind of science required to find out why "this type of feedback". common sense will do!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am used since years to open as well as subtle accusations and silly insinuations based on the simple facts i state. it started many rainy seasons ago with a thread "how much do you pay for electricity?" in which i participated by stating that my average monthly bill is around 11,000 Baht. this caused an unprecedented "kilowatt uproar" ranging from calling me a liar to condemnations >>> "criminal behaviour / global warming / CO² footprint" = amusing and entertaining smile.png

since then my electricity bill has nearly doubled and i can't help it mentioning that once in a while but only when it pertains to the discussed topic. needless to mention that i also posted several times a scan as proof to silence those who call me a liar.

I think naam there are enough people on Thaivisa spouting so much hot air they could spin up a few turbines and power a small country

interesting is that besides some ironic comments nobody is blaming those who claim (i'm citing a specific case) who live a comfortable life spending a total of 8,000 Baht a month or the wizard (a specific case too) who has an income of 25,000 Baht, wife and two children and still saves a certain amount.

but if it's the other way round like in this thread TV-member "Don Mega" stating he spends 3million then the little men brigade is not only firing away but comes up with utmost ridiculous comparisons how the father-in-law manages with 300k and "even drives a new car".

whistling.gif

The Emperor has no clothes.

Yes, I'm done with the arrogance shown by a particular poster......so will put him on my ignore list.clap2.gif

Wow how childish, i am sure the poster concerned will be weeping in his caviar being unable to respond to your highly intellectual posts....not

Most people will need 70% of the average income from the years before retirement. If you are used to drive Porsches you probably will not want to live in a 25 square meter appartment in Pattaya or a 50 square meter cabin in Isan. If you never owned a house, car and used all year savings for a 3 week vacation in Thailand you probably can be happy in the 25 square meter appartment or 50 square meter cabin. However, in the last case the 800,000 baht capital or 60,000 baht monthly income can be an issue which is definitely a requirement to retire in Thailand.

Downsizing from one's probably more expensive lifestyle in your home country to a supposed simpler and cheaper lifestyle in Thailand sounds nice, but in practice is probably pretty hard. Few business transactions in Thailand are designed to favor the foreigner. Small housing can be had for cheap, but the key word is small. 30 square meter in Pattaya for the rest of your life? Might be great, might not be.

Downsizing from one's probably more expensive lifestyle in your home country to a supposed simpler and cheaper lifestyle in Thailand sounds nice, but in practice is probably pretty hard. Few business transactions in Thailand are designed to favor the foreigner. Small housing can be had for cheap, but the key word is small. 30 square meter in Pattaya for the rest of your life? Might be great, might not be.

If you honestly don't care about consuming in your home country (which is Thailand for many anyways) you have problems in Thailand?! Not sure if I got that right.

In my country of origin, I always save in all aspects because I just don't like to spend. In Thailand, the bahts pour out of my hands in no time.

However, I remember the time I had lost a single ATM card and it took weeks to come to Thailand, I lived 6 weeks in total for around 20,000 THB and I didn't feel any difference.

At the end, things you consume this second don't matter the next second. Consumer addiction, pant from one short high to the next. Not including cars, houses and girls - because you can consume it many times. thumbsup.gif