Population

big carl

I found this list and thought it might interest a few. I know in Chiang Mai it will draw a lot of denial. So I will post it here. Don't want to hurt there sensitive feelings.

Most populated Cities in Thailand

Display
Search:

City Population Time Zone

Bangkok 5,104,476 BMT

Samut Prakan 388,920 BMT

Mueang Nonthaburi 291,555 BMT

Udon Thani 247,231 BMT

Chon Buri 219,164 BMT

Nakhon Ratchasima 208,781 BMT

Chiang Mai 200,952 BMT

Hat Yai 191,696 BMT

Pak Kret 182,926 BMT

Si Racha 178,916 BMT

Phra Pradaeng 171,333 BMT

Lampang 156,139 BMT

Khon Kaen 147,579 BMT

Surat Thani 127,201 BMT

Ban Rangsit 123,382 BMT

Ubon Ratchathani 122,533 BMT

Nakhon Si Thammarat 120,836 BMT

Khlong Luang 118,551 BMT

Nakhon Pathom 117,927 BMT

Rayong 106,737 BMT

Phitsanulok 103,427 BMT

Chanthaburi 99,819 BMT

Phatthaya 97,296 BMT Yala 93,558 BMT

Ratchaburi 92,448 BMT

Edited by big carl

It dont interest me. You must be happy a boring slow day.

Actually no going to go to a movie and do some shopping also eat out for my meals today.

Glad to see it was interesting enough to get your attention and get you to think about it.

Have a good day.

P S are you from Chiang Mai?

I know they get upset when you tell them they are not the second biggest city in the land.

I'd seriously doubt the accuracy of all/any of those figures. They apparently conducted a census a few months ago and nobody (Thai) I or my wife know were ever asked to be part of this or any earlier census, nor were any of their family members.

How can you have an accurate census when that's at least a hundred people I know that weren't included in the count. Extrapolate that out and I reckon the census was just a money making scheme for a few administrators.

All figures are guesstimates, and that's being generous. They wouldn't have a clue if the population was xx million plus or minus about 15%. coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

Must be an old census....Bangkok is at least 10 million

On the web you find some 2010 census numbers which total to 8.25 million for Bangkok.

But don't forget that Bangkok restricts to the capital area, while you might feel that is a melting pot with parts of the neighboring provinces (like Samut Prakan where the airport is and Nonthaburi).

The 5 million number for Bangkok sounds like "Thai citizens registered in a Bangkok house book", far from what population is.

Millions of migrant Thai workers living/working in the city without being registered in a house book.

Some numbers from the governor elections in 2013:

Sukhumbhand won the election with 1,256,349 votes, or 47.75% percent of votes cast. Pongsapat won 1,077,899 votes (40.97%). Voter turnout was 63.98 percent.

0.4775 * 0.6398 = 0.3055045

1.256349 / 0.3055045 ~ 4.11 million eligible voters.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As a matter of interest OP, where did you get these figures? And from which decade were they from?

You have Phitsanulok down for just over 100,000, those figures are from the 90's, not sure about the rest ................................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth

Thai census figures normally count people as residing where they are registered on a tabien baan (house registration book.) Renters are not counted, hence, what appears to be serious under-counting in the major population centres. As a renter, I do recall being counted once in Bangkok, a decade or so ago. That may have been a municipal census, intended to get an actual nose count.

These figures must be the city populations not the urban population?

For example Manchester has a population of 520,215 however the metropolitan population is 2,553,379

No way really of proving any of therm. I believe that the closest method is as you said not the general population of the area just the city it's self. Nice to see some one thinking rather than reacting.

Since when was Pak Kret a city?

Also, you only have to visit Korat to know it's bigger than Udon.

Chiang Mai, is however, the second most visited city, that is why many think of it as the second city.

Most people now refer to Korat as the second largest, and it's growing all the time.

Titles the section "List of Major cities in Thailand by Population" but then says it is easier to give the figures for the regions........

The CIA fact book https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/th.html

has this -

BANGKOK (capital) 9.27 million; Samut Prakan 1.814 million (2015)

and says it only shows top 5 cities over 750k suggesting (in their estimation) others are smaller than this.

Phitsanulok is a good place

Good for what exactly ?

Given its size it lacks western food and many resources,only a couple of years ago they built central plaza.

I think you answered your own question.

I used to go Pitsanulok every year for a couple of months. I think its the best city in thailand. Location,so central,not total touristy,most restaurants per capita in Thailand(Thai restaurants mind you) Has train ,plane or road to get to and out. Great night life if you donot need tourist trap. Lots of universities full of beautiful young women,who like to party.

Edited by lovelomsak

Phitsanulok is a good place

Good for what exactly ?

Given its size it lacks western food and many resources,only a couple of years ago they built central plaza.

Its true what you say about western food, I'll give you that. It also lacks the number of western style bars you would associate with the number of foreigners here but it always seems to have been like that. 1st western bar here was B.B.'s bar, followed by Thip bar (used to be opposite Pilyn hotel), then the International, Lady Jane's, Sports bar, Pool bar. International, sports & pool bar closed and Lady Jane's kept going. When we closed LJ's, you had Kat bar (by the old bus terminal) until it closed, and now you have Bill's bar as the 'falang' meeting place (on the riverside by Walking Street). That time frame is from the 80's to date, but there are a lot of Thai bars here as well.

Apart for a short period (when 3 bars were open at the same time), it seems to be a 1 x 'western style bar' town. Weird! Yet we have 2 x Makros, 2 x Lotus, Big-C & Central mall. I think between them, Burger King is the only fast food outlet we're missing.......................wink.png