Criminal court sentences Channel 3's TV host Sorayuth to 13 years

webfact

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorayuth and two others released on bails

57-1-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TV host Sorayuth Suthassanachinda and two others convicted in the MCOT ads cheat were granted temporary release on a two million baht bail each by the Criminal Court this afternoon.

But the Court set a condition for their release that they are not allowed to leave the country until receiving prior approval by the court.

They are also required to report the court once in 30 days.

Channel 3 also lets Sorayuth’s Rai Som company to consider whether to replace his role as TV host for his popular “เรื่องเล่าเช้านี้” (Ruang Rao Chao Nee) programme or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152889

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-29

4.30pm: Channel 3 anchor Sorayuth Suthassanachinda came out a second time to address the protesters and urged them “In order to be heard, you must express your views peacefully.” Furthermore, the crowd demanded him to blow a whistle – the tool of choice by the anti-govt protesters – and he actually did after repeatedly insisting that this was not a sign of partisanship.

4.25pm: Among the 13 rally sites, the protesters have targeted various free-TV stations – including the army-owned Channel 5, state-owned NBT (aka Ch 11) and Channel 3 – as they think that their rallies have been underreported or flat out ignored in the last few days and demand media to report “truthfully”. Footage from Channel 3 headquarters in downtown Bangkok showed their anchor Sorayuth Suthassanachinda coming out to greet and receiving flowers, as a channel representative thanked the protesters for being the “nicest mob” and got also received flowers. The protesters have vowed to leave the area when Sorayuth comes out again.

To quote - https://asiancorrespondent.com/2013/11/live-thailand-anti-government-protests-paralyze-bangkok/

So is this the reason for the heavy sentencing of Sorayuth today.

Jail is still a long way off, there is the Appeal Court and then the Supreme Court.

I don't understand why he works so hard, the weekday morning show and then the afternoon interview, and the weekends. Has he ever had a day off? I heard years ago his morning show alone was bringing in a million baht a day, why cheat MCOT, why work so hard?

Perhaps he caught the Shinawat syndrome, after all he has jointly invested with Oak in a housing project,- you can never make enough.

It's called greed.

We all have it to one extent or another.

Being close to the Shinawatra clan isn't a good way to diminish it.

This morning's channel 3 news already had his co-anchor presenter (Bike) take up his anchor chair and seemed to be fully in control. She is very competent to carry on, and much more credible than he is. No problem.

At least she'll get more to say than just 'ka' now.

I hope she'll be getting more than THB 5000 an episode? Strange accounting, pay 5K an episode but charge 200K a minute for overtime ads!! facepalm.gifsad.pngwai.gif

Jail is still a long way off, there is the Appeal Court and then the Supreme Court.

I don't understand why he works so hard, the weekday morning show and then the afternoon interview, and the weekends. Has he ever had a day off? I heard years ago his morning show alone was bringing in a million baht a day, why cheat MCOT, why work so hard?

Perhaps he caught the Shinawat syndrome, after all he has jointly invested with Oak in a housing project,- you can never make enough.

I always thought he must have a YUUUUUGGGGEEE EGO .

He always came across that way on screen. Like he just simply loves the sound of his own voice. (Name a Thai person who does not).

And then when he had expanded to every freakin day and multiple time slots. And he is such a blow hard, know-it-all.

I am definitely not the target market.

I find no joy in the pain and misery of others. That being said, if justice has been served, it was done without my meaningless comments or my foreign input.

I am not a citizen of Thailand.

I am not a citizen.of Ireland.

I am not a citizen of China.

I am not a citizen of Kazakhstan.

I am not a citizen of any country, excepting the one I hold a passport for.

I leave other countries and it's citizens to run their own business and I keep my nose out of it.

This surprises me, if I am not mistaken he paid back the 138 million baht quite a while back a year or so ago. Not that makes it right but I would have thought he would have gotten off a lot easier than this, he is Channel 3's shining star and a very wealthy man. I have actually met him and chatted briefly, I guess I will go against the tide here and wish him luck in his appeal. It's not really like he committed a violent crime or caused anyone bodily harm, I can think of a couple of other instances where others pretty much paid some money and walked for worse..

I was thinking the same thing. 13 years for a million baht non violent crime seems very hefty sentence. I also wish him luck.

SOM NOM NAH

His gravel tones won't be wasted on us any more.

His type are driving around in 'beemers, mercs' and flying in choppers all around Thailand, snapping up all the land, property, businesses and 'buying' whoever they can.

Look where your greed got you. Enjoy!

Steal 138 million baht and get fined 80,000? Why don't they fine him 200 million? He certainly isn't going to spend any time in jail, which is the whole problem with corruption in Thailand….you might get a small fine or 'moved to an inactive post' but after the initial news splash we never hear of these cases again….they quietly go away.

This morning's channel 3 news already had his co-anchor presenter (Bike) take up his anchor chair and seemed to be fully in control. She is very competent to carry on, and much more credible than he is. No problem.

At least she'll get more to say than just 'ka' now.

I hope she'll be getting more than THB 5000 an episode? Strange accounting, pay 5K an episode but charge 200K a minute for overtime ads!! facepalm.gifsad.pngwai.gif

Tax reasons. You don't want a big personal salary.

He has a surprised and worried look on his face,I will be equally surprised

if he sees the inside of a cell,thats not what happens to the rich and famous

here.

regards Worgeordie

Just for the record, that's not what happens to the rich and famous anywhere, WG ... And the few exceptions to that rule are just that : exceptions.

Put together the following ingredients :

- Human beings,

- Money,

- Media (especially the TV),

- Wild capitalism,

- Celebrity

Shake well ... and there you have it : the perfect receipe for corruption, abuse of power, along with total contempt for justice, 'ordinary' people, and the law.

Edited by Yann55

Steal 138 million baht and get fined 80,000? Why don't they fine him 200 million? He certainly isn't going to spend any time in jail, which is the whole problem with corruption in Thailand….you might get a small fine or 'moved to an inactive post' but after the initial news splash we never hear of these cases again….they quietly go away.

It is not like he walking into the bank and took 138M baht in cash from their accounts. He cheated them out of airtime, which, depending on what was displaced, possibly had little real value anyway. Yes, he cheated them out of revenues they deserved, and committed fraud, but unless that stolen airtime would have been purchased by other paying advertisers, and not just broadcasting some lame-#$% show, then it can be argued that the actual monetary damages were minimal.

"Good riddance to another Takisin stooge!!"

Gee, ya think this was politically motivated? I guess if one is a junta stooge, nothing to worry about. Unless junta gets replaced, in spite of their "self amnesty", they could go to the monkey house. Perhaps that is why election dates keep getting pushed back? Nah, just returning happiness is all.... but to whom?

And OoooHhhhh!!!

This is so true.. Made me laugh.

What is her purpose

Her purpose is to make him look intelligent. She speaks English (he can barely utter an intelligible phrase), is a Nida graduate, and he pales by comparison with her as a newscaster.

He's Thai on a Thai show, why should he speak English?

I'd do 13 years for 138 million baht. Only 80,000 fine.

You'd have a very sore bottom when you got out!

No. Only the gays shag the gays in prisons here. There's plenty to go around so the straights get left alone. Besides most are 'bottom' and they wouldn't want foreign size.