French Embassy Income Letter

From March 5th, the French Embassy will join the club of embassies who do not check the source and income that its citizens declare...

Until now French people had to show documentation to prove their revenues, and the Embassy letter was like: "The French Embassy in Bangkok certifies that Mr xxxxxxx ... receives a total amount of x.xxx Euros per month (xxx.xxx baht)"

From next week, no more documentation will be needed and the letter will be like: "Upon request of the above mentioned citizen has declared that his/her monthly revenues are x.xxx Euros"

Also this embassy income letter, who was a free service, will now cost 27 euros (about 1'000 baht)

That means that "retirement extension" renewal may now be a source of problems for some French guys in some Immigration offices, as it is already the case for some American guys by example.

Why would this be a problem for a French national? If you mean the 1000 baht fee, then that person has other problems because 1000 baht is nothing. I must be missing something here.

The problem of course is not the 1000 baht fee wink.png

But the fact that some Immigration Offices may now ask us to prove the revenus declared on this letter, knowing that the Embassy doesn't do it anymore. If you have several sources of revenues, it may not be so easy to explain/prove that to an Immigration officer who knows nothing about them, and with original documents all in French.

Yes Ubonjoe, but mind you I have met and heard of several americans that has been doubted by the immigration-officers, and rightfully so... Your so called "I-promise-statement" where you state your income without any supporting documents bla bla bla... is worth absolutely nothing in real life to Thailand...

So if the french is "joining" this "club", that will probably put an additional burdon on the rest of us other nationalities that Immigratuion trust..

That is how I sees it....

glegolo

• Like 1

How does it work for people who have an affidavit made without proof of revenues? immigration says nothing ? how do you cope with it ?

They have never been asked for anything from me.

Best proof to have if needed is a Thai bank book showing the money coming into the country on a regular basis. I have that if needed.

Yes Ubonjoe, but mind you I have met and heard of several americans that has been doubted by the immigration-officers, and rightfully so... Your so called "I-promise-statement" where you state your income without any supporting documents bla bla bla... is worth absolutely nothing in real life to Thailand...

So if the french is "joining" this "club", that will probably put an additional burdon on the rest of us other nationalities that Immigratuion trust..

glegolo

Fom posts I have read immigration offices do not ask for back up proof based upon nationality for proof of income. If they ask for it from one they ask for it from everybody.

Nothing new in the tropics.

The letter is billed 1000b unless you are registered at the Embassy as a resident French expatriate. Registering allows the embassy to contact you quickly if problems arise. It was already the case last year.

The income letter must be accompanied by the bank book. The attendant will check that you have transferred at least 800000b in the last 12 months. Otherwise it will ask for explanations and may refuse the extension. It was already the case last year.

Last year it was free and they filled themselves the figures : now, it's 27 € ( and 27 € more if you want it by mail ) and don't do anything, just sign

with 800000 baht on bank for three monts before the extension, we don't need the embassy ' letter ? just the letter from the bank ?

Last year it was free and they filled themselves the figures : now, it's 27 € ( and 27 € more if you want it by mail ) and don't do anything, just sign

with 800000 baht on bank for three monts before the extension, we don't need the embassy ' letter ? just the letter from the bank ?

If you have at least 800000b maintained on your saving account 3 months before the extension you do not need consular letter.
However this letter is required if you want to prove your income without blocking money.
For the French, the consular services require a tax notice. In the absence, in particular for new situations, consulate requires a letter of paying agencies (pension funds, banks to private income) to validate the annual income.
I hope to be clear enough on this subject that mobilizes pages and pages on all nationalities forums.
Edited by happy Joe

I would have thought that the simple answer for the French would be to include the income evidence they would have provided to the Embassy had they still asked for this in the bumper-bundle of supporting documentation they take along to Immigration at annual extension of stay time on a "just in case" basis.

That is certainly what I do in the case of my income evidence, even though I have already provided this to my Embassy (British) for their letter - and even though Immigration have (to date at any rate) never asked to see it.

Edited by OJAS

glegolo

I doubt that is true. I don't know of one American who has been asked and I know many who are here on extensions based on retirement. Six extensions and I have never been asked.

For the French, the consular services require a tax notice.

In the absence, in particular for new situations, consulate requires a letter of paying agencies () to validate the annual income.

Looks like you didn't read the last newsletter from the French Embassy... whistling.gif

It used to be as you said, but now no document/proof is required and it will cost you 27 €

This link brings the new form "Déclaration de Revenus" :

1_-_DECLARATION_de_REVENUS_-_modele.pdf

• Like 1