New Nikon

Greetings fellow snappers. I am looking for some advice from the photo experts we have here. I have an old Nikon D40 which i used a lot and though not a great photographer I enjoyed the results which i suppose is what matters. I'm now looking to get a new one. I'm stuck between the Nikon D3300 or the D5300. I have watched a few reviews on Youtube but would rather get some REAL advice from people that just like photography rather than having another agenda. Is it worth the extra money to go for the 5300 or would i be better to go for the cheaper model and get another lens. all this is from a keen snapper that enjoys taking the pictures and nothing more. Cheers peeps :-)

Hi uksomchai

To be perfectly honest with you,I have had absolutely no experience with Nikon.I did however go over to DPreview and did a side by side comparison.(hope this link works)

Some of the things that stood out for me on the D5300 were, the articulated LCD screen (very handy sometimes,especially when videoing), more focus points and the

2 second delay timer.

Hopefully someone with some Nikon experience will come along and give you more advice.Chokdee

Not a Nikon user either (and somewhat on a hiatus from photography due to lack of time); however...

D5300 supports 14-bit RAW, but the D3300 only supports 12-bit RAW. However, unless you are heavily editing in Photoshop or the like, there won't be any difference.

The D5300 also has wi-fi built-in.

A quick check on Amazon puts the D5300 body about $50-70 more than a D3300 with the kit lens in the US. Personally, I would say Wi-fi and a tilty-flippy screen are worth the $50-70 -- assuming that you already have some decent Nikon lenses and don't need the kit. Wi-fi seems gimmicky, but it does allow instant access without a computer. For example, you are on vacation with some friends, you can instantly transfer to an iPad and show them your photos of the day over dinner. The tilty-flippy screen opens up new perspectives to experiment with and can allow you to take selfies with he camera (the horror).

One thing that it would be good for Nikon experts could comment on is whether a D40 era kit lens would be able to resolve "OK" on the 24MP sensor or whether a newer generation kit lens with the D3300 would give better results.

Thanks for the input guys. It is all appreciated. I was looking at the kits as my old D40 was donated to the Brother in law rolleyes.gif This is one the ones I was considering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121373411044?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I presume the extra lenses are not lenses in them selves but rather fit over the 18 - 55 lens ? As said all feedback appreciated people thumbsup.gif

Bear in mind thats an import camera if the detaols listed are correct. The MPN should be VBA370K003 (for that body and lens) or VBA370AE for body only.

I dont know nikons policy now on repairs in the UK of grey imports, but early last year they wouldn't touch them.

Calphoto.co.uk (good reputable dealer) do the same deal for £459 with 2 years warranty and a £50 voucher for accesories, the extras you get in the ebay deal minus the lens will be a pile of cheap chinese junk anyway.

It might be more beneficial to you buying from a respected dealer. Theres only 2 left in stock.

What lenses do you currently own?

Archived