Thailand is the land of smiles? With growing list of violent attacks you have to be having a laugh

webfact

Believing you're being manipulated by your government, there's a name for that condition is there not.

http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/medical/schizophrenia-delusions.html

Yes, I was expecting that type of response. I recommend you read the link below, go out of your country more, and then your eyes will open.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_corruption

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find many Thai people to be more pleasant than their counterparts in the west, by a long shot. Whenever I go back to California, it never ceases to amaze me how sour, disillusioned, bitter, serious and lacking in humor most people are. Not so here. Most Thais are quite lighthearted, jovial, and enjoyable to be around. I think despite what the article says, the quality of life here is pretty damn good.

There are dangers in Bangkok and throughout Thailand. But, they have little to do with the Thai people. I feel very safe here. The Thai people are the last thing in the world I am fearful of. Most are lovely, peaceful, and kind. Sure, there were some dangers during the protests. But, I was wandering around during the height of the recent protests, during the Shutdown Bangkok campaign. I found nearly everyone to be friendly, warm, and gracious. I had no fear, and felt no danger anywhere.

The real dangers here are on the highway, on the sidewalks, on the seas, and most of the dangers here are from things the government could control, if they cared one iota about public safety, and tourist and ex-pat safety. But, they do not. They never have. It is all nothing but jawboning. All talk, and no action makes the little guy in charge, a very dull boy.

When you have places like Bangkok, or Samui, or Phuket, or Chiang Mai, with absolutely nothing in the way of proper zoning, safety standards, inspections, or even competent authorities, to make sure the public and the millions of tourists stay safe, you end up with accidents that could have been avoided. Up to 60 people a month die on the roads of Samui, on motorbikes! It is a very, very dangerous place to visit. That does not count electrocutions, death by "accident", "suicides", or "mysterious deaths". There are countless hazards, and the authorities not only do nothing to protect the tourists, they just don't care. Tourist deaths mean nothing to them. Just look at Dark Tao. All of the southern islands are very dangerous places to visit. The height of the signs on the sidewalks, the condition of the sidewalks, the electric issues, the waste water that is released into the Gulf, the electric wire issue, island wide, the traffic madness, and many more areas need to be addressed.

This goes for nearly all places in Thailand Are they authorities taking notice? No. Why? They just do not care. Their indifference and their callousness is an astonishing thing to witness. Their degree of incompetence with regard to leadership and policing is astonishing. It is all about the money in many areas. Very, very few local people care one iota about tourist safety. Very few. There are exceptions. But so much more could be done to address public safety, and traffic safety. The arrogance and indifference of the government when it comes to the average farang, or the average Thai, is shameful.

In conclusion, I think Thailand is very sate, as long as you pay extra attention while driving, take it easy, keep your eyes open at all times, for any sort of aggressive driver, and use your street smarts.

If you are one of the 50million tourists that arrive in Thailand daily or however many TAT says if you survive the first holiday with your life tell your friends and come back soon with your friends and children for more smiles. Because you know its smiles safer in Thailand.

It's not just about the crime it's the way they handle it and who handles it when it happens. Perfect example is today's news about the policeman taking a photo under a school girl's dress and getting a 500 baht fine. First the crime happens, then the criminal gets a slap on the wrist, then you discover that the police is protecting it's own . The system is Rotten all the way from start to finish.

It's not just about the crime it's the way they handle it and who handles it when it happens. Perfect example is today's news about the policeman taking a photo under a school girl's dress and getting a 500 baht fine. First the crime happens, then the criminal gets a slap on the wrist, then you discover that the police is protecting it's own . The system is Rotten all the way from start to finish.

Including the rotten apologists supporting the status quo with banalities like "Nowhere is perfect and it never happened to me."

Sure, it's the "Land Of Over 40 Different Types Of Thai Smiles" - one for every emotion known to mankindclap2.gif..

From benign to lethal..sad.png

Off course blame Thais for all this rage nothing to do with.bitter farang a or a farang who think he's a god !

While i certainly do not condone with this ridiculous caricature of a policeman did, in the West, the reaction would be extreme. He might be facing five years in prison for something like that. There has to be a balance. Sooner or later, Thailand is going to learn the meaning of law and order. Sooner of later the police force will have to be completely reformed from top to bottom. Sooner or later the judicial system will have to be completely dismantled, and rebuilt from the ground up, to ensure the possibility of impartial judges, and honest prosecutors. As of now, there may only be five of each, in the entire nation. Sooner of later Thailand will have to start behaving like an adult nation, and taking responsibility for it's many shortcomings. Sooner or later. But, it might not be in our lifetime!

I think it's simple statistics. When you consider over 25 million people come here on holiday there are bound to be some issues. I'm not condoning any violence but the shear weight of numbers means they'll be some conflict.

I travel in and out of Thailand very often, by choice. Therefore I would say that as ONE person I probably am counted as 10-12 tourists a year. 25 million? I doubt it
How about I knock one million off the number for people like you and I who travel frequently? That makes 24 million :)

I find many Thai people to be more pleasant than their counterparts in the west, by a long shot. Whenever I go back to California, it never ceases to amaze me how sour, disillusioned, bitter, serious and lacking in humor most people are. Not so here. Most Thais are quite lighthearted, jovial, and enjoyable to be around. I think despite what the article says, the quality of life here is pretty damn good.

There are dangers in Bangkok and throughout Thailand. But, they have little to do with the Thai people. I feel very safe here. The Thai people are the last thing in the world I am fearful of. Most are lovely, peaceful, and kind. Sure, there were some dangers during the protests. But, I was wandering around during the height of the recent protests, during the Shutdown Bangkok campaign. I found nearly everyone to be friendly, warm, and gracious. I had no fear, and felt no danger anywhere.

The real dangers here are on the highway, on the sidewalks, on the seas, and most of the dangers here are from things the government could control, if they cared one iota about public safety, and tourist and ex-pat safety. But, they do not. They never have. It is all nothing but jawboning. All talk, and no action makes the little guy in charge, a very dull boy.

When you have places like Bangkok, or Samui, or Phuket, or Chiang Mai, with absolutely nothing in the way of proper zoning, safety standards, inspections, or even competent authorities, to make sure the public and the millions of tourists stay safe, you end up with accidents that could have been avoided. Up to 60 people a month die on the roads of Samui, on motorbikes! It is a very, very dangerous place to visit. That does not count electrocutions, death by "accident", "suicides", or "mysterious deaths". There are countless hazards, and the authorities not only do nothing to protect the tourists, they just don't care. Tourist deaths mean nothing to them. Just look at Dark Tao. All of the southern islands are very dangerous places to visit. The height of the signs on the sidewalks, the condition of the sidewalks, the electric issues, the waste water that is released into the Gulf, the electric wire issue, island wide, the traffic madness, and many more areas need to be addressed.

This goes for nearly all places in Thailand Are they authorities taking notice? No. Why? They just do not care. Their indifference and their callousness is an astonishing thing to witness. Their degree of incompetence with regard to leadership and policing is astonishing. It is all about the money in many areas. Very, very few local people care one iota about tourist safety. Very few. There are exceptions. But so much more could be done to address public safety, and traffic safety. The arrogance and indifference of the government when it comes to the average farang, or the average Thai, is shameful.

In conclusion, I think Thailand is very sate, as long as you pay extra attention while driving, take it easy, keep your eyes open at all times, for any sort of aggressive driver, and use your street smarts.

The key word being 'pay'.

Thailand - the Land of Smiles" is one the greatest advertising- successes ever!

IMHO it was never true!

I lived here for more than 8 years and I was never in even a hostile situation- at all!

But guess what?

40 years in Europe and that pretty much boils down to more or less the same!

There are good people here and there, there are mean a-holes here and there, there is crime here and there.

Thailand is no better place than anywhere else or a worse one per se!

It depends mostly on what you are looking for and what you make out of it and how you keep your sanity!

If you belong to the "thai'er than Thai"- brigade or the "if you don't like it, go home"- brigade, you lost most of your sanity already!

You are just a sheep!

Well said.

Thailand is relatively safe except for a few rogue elephants that are pissed at people and are not going to take it any more...Thai people are another story...terrorist do not come here as the entire country is inhabited by...

I remember a lot of reports of violent attacks against foreigners in the 80s. There were far fewer tourists then and places like Phuket and Samui had a lot of isolated stretches of beaches where thugs could lie in wait for farangs going for a stroll to the nearest bar or restaurant and make their escape after stabbing, shooting, robbing, raping the farang(s). There were also communist and Islamic insurgents operating in the South who would occasionally venture into the resort areas for some easy pickings.from tourists and they didn't hesitate to open fire. In the 70s and early 80s people avoided travelling on the roads at night. Percentage wise the number of tourists being assaulted today is much less but no less worrying.

I remember a lot of reports of violent attacks against foreigners in the 80s....

So they never loved us too much even back then did they?

I can't describe what I believe the reason for that is, because it will surely get deleted and considered an inflammatory post, but I think it's got to do with things like envy and feelings of inferiority. I also believe frustration plays some role, and that women preferred M, L and XL instead of S.

Please don't delete this I find it funny :)

The "Land of Smiles" thing is just a quaint holdover from earlier, happier, better times, now gone, most likely forever as once lost, these things can't be rebuilt. It's poetic, but entirely antiquated, much as some all-in expats would like to try & insist otherwise.

BREAKING NEWS: Name Change(s): Land of Suckers. Left on Soi. Lord of Suffocation.

We will all die here!!! We must escape NOW!!!

You give all your money to the locals!!! Make them happy!!! Why you farang not help!!!

Buddha says give me all your money, now!!!!

kap kap

Doubt the average Thai has much to look forward to. Don't know many happy Thais personally. Most are struggling. Those who lean towards violence would be more easily provoked in bad times.

I guess you should change your associates.

And you wonder why Thailand is now getting closer to China and Russia and becoming less interested in improving relationships with the West, when foreign media publishes a second grade piece of journalism that damns the entire country. I mean, what does that article actually say and why is it newsworthy, a short piece that reminds everyone that nowhere in the world is 100% safe, sad.

really ? is it baiting ? by the way , does this vid remind you something ? whistling.gif

http://video.toggle.sg/en/series/undercover-asia-s3/ep7/377702

http://images.toggle.sg/images/01031601421170_640X360.JPG

Call it what you will, it's simple not an article that's worthy of a national UK broadsheet, it doesn't say anything, it's not newsworthy, it's a page filler. If you want to write and publish a serious piece on the subject then fine, something that is balanced and actually says something, the posted article is neither balanced, factual nor informative.

This is actually quite an important piece of journalism. In the modern 24 hour news cycle, people are bombarded with so much information that it becomes hard to remember everything. It's important to make sure people remember and consider their vacations thoroughly. It is important to keep pressure on the RTP, for that is the only way it will ever change.

An interesting article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3086453/The-country-highest-proportion-British-deaths-Philippines-cost-17-000-repatriate-body.html

The second most common place to die after Spain is Thailand, which saw 362 deaths and France with 346, although both countries saw a reduction from 2012-2013 numbers.

And you wonder why Thailand is now getting closer to China and Russia and becoming less interested in improving relationships with the West, when foreign media publishes a second grade piece of journalism that damns the entire country. I mean, what does that article actually say and why is it newsworthy, a short piece that reminds everyone that nowhere in the world is 100% safe, sad.

ehhh.... stay in chiang mai fairy world you live in , all is well , see no evil with your eyes closed . yep dat da ticket ........ bada bada bing ...............

really ? is it baiting ? by the way , does this vid remind you something ? whistling.gif

http://video.toggle.sg/en/series/undercover-asia-s3/ep7/377702

http://images.toggle.sg/images/01031601421170_640X360.JPG

Call it what you will, it's simple not an article that's worthy of a national UK broadsheet, it doesn't say anything, it's not newsworthy, it's a page filler. If you want to write and publish a serious piece on the subject then fine, something that is balanced and actually says something, the posted article is neither balanced, factual nor informative.

I agree that the piece did not contain anything new or enlightening. At the same time, I am pleased the international press is not letting these things be forgotten. Thailand needs to be reminded that these things are not acceptable, and will not be forgotten.

ehhh.... stay in chiang mai fairy world you live in , all is well , see no evil with your eyes closed . yep dat da ticket ........ bada bada bing ...............

Try to improve your reading and comprehension skills, my complaint is against the quality of the newspaper column, not about it's message.

Personally I see Thais smile to me all the time. It happens whenever they try to sell something to me or when I am paying for something. Other than that, if you watch them walking by or driving past or standing somewhere, they never smile.

Are you smiling at them? I find that my smiles are returned 95% of the time with genuine smiles. But then, I'm smiling most of the time here.