Business Group Calls for 5-Year Professional Visas for Expats

webfact

Business Group Calls for 5-Year Professional Visas for Expats
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14569112301456911261l.jpg
Numerous expats work at a cafe at the Thailand Creative & Design Center in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — An umbrella trade group wants Thailand to offer a new type of visa for highly skilled professionals in order to attract talented foreigners.

The Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking said Tuesday it will submit a proposal for such five-year visas to the military government later this month at a joint meeting with government agencies.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1456911230&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-02

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder what would fall under highly skilled. Would a managing director be in highly skilled category?

Then visa is only half of the issue, how about wort permits for 5 years as well.

Call me skeptical, but I don't think it will happen. Would be too convenient.

I wonder what would fall under highly skilled. Would a managing director be in highly skilled category?

Then visa is only half of the issue, how about wort permits for 5 years as well.

Well... work permit can be extended every year and this would make even sense since they will keep track if people don't change companies, stop working etc.

Edited by Kularion

Well... work permit can be extended every year and this would make even sense since they will keep track if people don't change companies, stop working etc.
Visa can also be extended every year, that's not the point . Point is convinience and time wasting , not to mention 90 day reporting.

Reporting is easy but for a busy individual it's a headache to remember and a waste of time doing it.

As for keeping track ,I do not think highly skilled people jump jobs every few months or stay unemployed for long . Not to mention since there is no welfare state doesn't loose anything

Edited by PattayaAl

The vast majority of TVF members need not apply, as they can't even spell.

I fall into this category of highly specialized skills. I have a Thai company BEGGING me to work with them for 75,000 baht a month.

I'd rather be beat in the ass with a mad rattlesnake than take that offer.

Edited by jaywalker

The people in the photo do not appear to be highly skilled nor especially busy.

These "global nomads" will aslsdo need to be far less nomadic as any non.o visa will require a residence. Teachers up country have been going thru nightmares demonstrating residence. Even myself in BKK was hassled 1x on my marriage extension paperwork.

Smart global nomads will remain nomads. If it weren't for my wife, Id be in half dozen other countries. Thailand's been finished for a decade and that's not even hipster finished, thats put the last nail in the coffin cuz it died after 2000 finished so kill it already finished.

Any hipster looking for a hipster lifestyle will wander back to hipsterville after a year or two. They always do.

People coming here post 2005 have no staying power. They think they've been here forever and know everything.

Incidentally, the word professional gets tossed around a lot. A true professional is someone with a terminal degree. Without citing the degrees - doctors, lawyers, certified cpa's, scientists, engineers with adv degrees, teachers, etc.

People building websites and managing social media, spammers, content scribblers are not professionals.

The international norms are citizenship or residency after around 5 years of living and paying tax in a country through your profession.

Most foreign professionals pay a lot of tax each month and get absolutely nothing back from the Thai government, even local rates at national parks, less ridiculous duplication of visa paperwork and procedures, owning half the value of the property of a spouse and abolishing re-entry permits would be a start.

A fairer system would be permanent residency after 5 years of paying tax and the right to buy a property or land up to a sensible limit and citizenship for those that can pass strict but fair criteria. The fact that there are professionals that have been here 20 years married with a family and speaking fluent Thai and have not been offered citizenship is disgraceful. If we are good enough to pay tax to the government and contribute to the economy and development of Thailand its only fair to offer some basic rights

I fall into this category of highly specialized skills. I have a Thai company BEGGING me to work with them for 75,000 baht a month.

Oh, the irony ! I'd rather be bit in the ass by a rattlesnake.

So you prefer to be unemployed?

PS. If/ when company "begs " someone and they turn it down on the basis of money offered, said company would up the offer IF they were "begging" ;)

Also, the people that paid 500 000 Baht for their Elite 5 year visas won't be too happy. It's difficult for any government to withdraw from over the top expensive policies. This is why you'll never be able to buy a new Lambo for under 30 Million...the people that paid 300% tax would be pissed. ;)

Also, the people that paid 500 000 Baht for their Elite 5 year visas won't be too happy. It's difficult for any government to withdraw from over the top expensive policies. This is why you'll never be able to buy a new Lambo for under 30 Million...the people that paid 300% tax would be pissed. ;)

Not really same. Elite is available to anyone with money, this one is to be for highly skilled, which also means employed and would also mean paying tax

Incidentally, the word professional gets tossed around a lot. A true professional is someone with a terminal degree. Without citing the degrees - doctors, lawyers, certified cpa's, scientists, engineers with adv degrees, teachers, etc.

People building websites and managing social media, spammers, content scribblers are not professionals.

If they are good at what they do and earn a living doing it, they are professionals.

If they are good at what they do and earn a living doing it, they are professionals.
Unfortunately, this is the common wisdom as and it is 100% wrong. Let me guess, you don't have a college degree but think of yourself as a professional?

Tradesmen, technicians, anyone in real estate, 98% of people in insurance, 50% of people in finance, general accountants, office staff, hair salon girls, it gurus and global nomads are not professionals.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

This is a good initiative. I hope it will pass along with other annoyances as independent IT workers having to employ 4 Thais to get a work permit. etc. If rules are fair and simple enough.

I have had an IT company in Thailand for years. Small company, but it paid the bills. I didn't have to form a company, but I wanted to do the right thing and pay may taxes here. That's one way to contribute to the country which have provided me a place to live. Nothing wrong with that.

One of the reasons I'm leaving the country is the yearly visa. To renew the visa is one of the most humiliating days in my life, sometime two days as there is always some small thing which have changed, and have to be corrected.

On psychological side, renewing the visa each year, means instability. I had always 97% confidence that I'll get the new visa and work permit, each year, without overly too much trouble.. but the rest 3% is what makes me along with my other friends quite agitated for an month prior to the visa renewal. And we are the guys who try to do everything by the book, pay our taxes and eventually give something extra to this country.

Personally, I gave up believing in Thailand for some years ago. Since then I have just been hangin around. Currently planning a new life elsewhere, while trying to arrange things in the way that I'm free to go without regrets.

I might come back, but it depends how Thailand does in the future. Most likely I also will not get back, until I hit the magical age of 50, when I can say to be retired.

When it comes to the young nomads. What's wrong of having them around? They are mostly energetic folks, who share their wonderful experiences about Thailand to the rest of the world. TAT should protect them, as they are doing a great job of advertising Thailand to their home countries.

While nomads live here, they spend their money here. That is a direct injection of money to the Thai economy, coming from outside to inside of Thailand. Thailand should brace these people and let them live. It's not like Thailand would give them huge social security benefits or unemployment money, like we sometimes do in the west.

LOL really? Telling us we can't spell, then go on and make 2 bad grammar mistakes. Ass is bitten by a snake and not beat, and by a snake, not with. Only the lowest life forms pick on spelling and grammar errors, but you specifically asked for it. You failed magnificently!

This visa won't happen, it makes sense and is badly needed, an automatic No here.

Highly skilled professionals. Numerous expats working at a Cafe..... Yes, defined as any foreigner with a laptop and a personal website .

If they manage to make living with a laptop, why aren't they professionals? I realize it pains those who have slaved away for years, but that something they did wrong, they should have developed the skill to make money sitting in cafe with a laptop. Slaving away whole life, 40 years and waiting for retirement at age of 65 can easily easily make one resent a 25 year old, whose sitting on a beach in South East Asia after his 30 minute work day in a cafe is finished.

Highly skilled professionals. Numerous expats working at a Cafe..... Yes, defined as any foreigner with a laptop and a personal website .

If they manage to make living with a laptop, why aren't they professionals? I realize it pains those who have slaved away for years, but that something they did wrong, they should have developed the skill to make money sitting in cafe with a laptop. Slaving away whole life, 40 years and waiting for retirement at age of 65 can easily easily make one resent a 25 year old, whose sitting on a beach in South East Asia after his 30 minute work day in a cafe is finished.

Your words are much cruel than I would have selected, but the basic idea is the same as mine.

There is no real reason to fulfil one's duties for the society to the full, before getting out of the rat race. The problem is the rat race, not doing the best for the society.

That been said, I have had many jovial friends, who have decided that their place is in their home, and wish not to venture what could happen if they break the seal and venture outside of the well known and managed world. These friends are far from being losers, they are far from being in the middle folks.

I'm sure English teachers will not qualify for highly skilled employment.

I'm sure English teachers will not qualify for highly skilled employment.

Why?

“EDUCATION IS THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON WHICH YOU CAN USE TO CHANGE THE WORLD.” – NELSON MANDELA
“EDUCATION IS NOT PREPARATION FOR LIFE; EDUCATION IS LIFE ITSELF.” – JOHN DEWEY
“THE DIRECTION IN WHICH EDUCATION STARTS A MAN WILL DETERMINE HIS FUTURE IN LIFE.” – PLATO
“EDUCATION IS SIMPLY THE SOUL OF A SOCIETY AS IT PASSES FROM ONE GENERATION TO ANOTHER.” – GILBERT CHESTERTON

Unfortunately, this is the common wisdom as and it is 100% wrong. Let me guess, you don't have a college degree but think of yourself as a professional?

Tradesmen, technicians, anyone in real estate, 98% of people in insurance, 50% of people in finance, general accountants, office staff, hair salon girls, it gurus and global nomads are not professionals.

Iam very good at what I do and make a decent living from it.

I do not class myself as a professional because really anyone with decent mechanical aptitude could do the same as me easily.

Bht75k not bad for just being the token white guy/girl. tongue.png

All you got to do is to invest 2M in an illegally formed company with nominees and hire four Thais to do nothing for the unforeseeable future. What they neglect to see is that there's an easier way to achieve the same result, just throwing your money in a bonfire.

Rocketsurgeon touches upon an issue that will have to be resolved if this 5-year professional visa is to become a reality - that is the classifications and qualifications necessary for the visa.

Many countries have defined requirements for certain professions, involving registration, certification, or licensing. These are the easiest professions to identify and establish standards for qualification. If you are licensed physician from a country with a rigorous licensing process, than you should be able to qualify as a physician in Thailand.

Some other professional careers do not have standard qualifications or registration and licensing. This is unfortunately the case for ICT (IT). Thus, just about anyone can claim to be a professional programmer/web developer, for example. And everyone who has worked in a management capacity in ICT knows that the level of professional competency varies widely, from expert to hopeless.

So it will be difficult for Thailand to extend the definition of "professional" to certain career segments where there are few recognized standards.

I would expect this visa classification to be workable for licensed doctors, registered nurses, certified professional accountants, registered engineers and architects, etc.

The problem of defining who is professional or not, is real. In the IT world, the folks, who try to gain more and more certifications, are often the less professional ones.

We can see the folks, who's CV's are tuned to the perfection. These folks are often the people, who's skill is to tune their CV's to the perfection. These folks skills, on the real field, are not professional.

Quite often, the people who do understand what is going on, in general, are the ones who can determine who are worthy of called professionals. It's not the suit folks, whose skill is to try to fake. It's not the ones who are always afraid, what they are doing.