Process for renewing 1 year non b, I think my lawyer is wrong, or am I?

I currently have a 1 year non b supported by my company limited. I received it from the consulate in Penang last year. Now I am applying for a new 1 year non b at Chaeng Whattana with my visa person/consultant etc. She just told me I will receive a 1 month visa today and then we will bring my passport back in a month to receive a stamp that transforms it into a 1 year. Is this correct? Or did she mess up? I plan on leaving for work out of country and am not sure if I will be back in time to get the stamp. Do I have no choice but to come back now or I will be denied the visa?

That is correct - she is right - you first receive a 30 day under review stamp and then the actual year extension of stay from date of previous permitted to stay. You must obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving and return on or before date indicated or have to start over with a new non immigrant B visa. For people working outside of Thailand the multi entry visa as you had last year is often the better choice.

You are not applying for a visa. You're applying for a 1 year extension of stay.

Is it possible to apply for a 1 year visa inside Thailand?

No because you don't need one.

• Thai visas just give entry into the country.
  • You're already in the country and were given a 90 day permit to stay when you last entered. You are now applying to extend that 90 day stay by 1 year for the reason of work.

You cannot apply for a one year visa here.

Ok so the actual term is a 1 month visa and then I'm granted an extension of stay? Wish the agent would undrstand that it's not the same thing as a visa...

Your application is 'under consideration' and because your current 90 day stay has expired, or is about to expire, they have given you an extra 30 day stay in the country while they process the application. This is standard practice and nothing to worry about.

You need to go back to the immigration office at the end of the 30 days at which time they will (assuming the application is accepted) stamp your passport with a 1 year extension of stay.

As said it is an extension of stay that your have just applied for, using TM.7 and actual cost fee of 1,900 baht. This is not what most offshore workers want as it does not allow travel and requires you be available at end of the 30 day review period to obtain; which is often difficult due to work. Any travel having such an extension will require you also have a re-entry permit to keep it alive. These cost 1,000 baht each or a multi entry at 3,800 baht.

Ok so the actual term is a 1 month visa and then I'm granted an extension of stay? Wish the agent would undrstand that it's not the same thing as a visa...
Your application is 'under consideration' and because your current 90 day stay has expired, or is about to expire, they have given you an extra 30 day stay in the country while they process the application. This is standard practice and nothing to worry about.

You need to go back to the immigration office at the end of the 30 days at which time they will (assuming the application is accepted) stamp your passport with a 1 year extension of stay.

You actually have to hand in your application with a minimum of 30 days left on your current 1 year extension of stay. Any public holidays mean you have to hand in your application earlier. Edited by blackcab

You actually have to hand in your application with a minimum of 30 days left on your current 1 year extension of stay expires. Any public holidays mean you have to hand in your application earlier.

There is no requirement to do the extension 30 days early. It could be done on the last day and they would do the under consideration stamp which allow you to stay until the extension is approved. The stamp has a report back date 30 days from when the stamp was done or from the end of the current permit to stay (depends upon the office where done). The report back date is just that and does not mean the under consideration period ends then..

I am new on this forum and have a question about a visa. From the 1st of April to the 30th of juin 2016 I will come to Thailand to do an internship. I have applied for a Non Immigrant Visa ED. When I have finished my internship I would like to stay 2 or 3 weeks longer in Thailand to travel. Is it possible for me to get a 30 day extension of my Non ED Visa even when my internship has ended or can I go to an immigration office to apply for a Tourist Visa ? I need an extension of stay which allows me to travel ! Can you tell me what the required documents are to extend my visa period ? Would the TM7 form be enough or does the immigration office require a so called “certified letter” (declaration of confirmation of internship) from my Embassy to extend my visa ? Or is such a letter only required to extend a Non Immigrant Visa ED to continue an internship ? I’ am a little bit lost in the visa rules so I hope that there is someone here to make it clear to me. (Hope it was alright to post here, let me please know if I need to start a new topic, thnks)

Edited by Danique

I am new on this forum and have a question about a visa. From the 1st of April to the 30th of juin 2016 I will come to Thailand to do an internship. I have applied for a Non Immigrant Visa ED. When I have finished my internship I would like to stay 2 or 3 weeks longer in Thailand to travel. Is it possible for me to get a 30 day extension of my Non ED Visa even when my internship has ended or can I go to an immigration office to apply for a Tourist Visa ? I need an extension of stay which allows me to travel ! Can you tell me what the required documents are to extend my visa period ? Would the TM7 form be enough or does the immigration office require a so called “certified letter” (declaration of confirmation of internship) from my Embassy to extend my visa ? Or is such a letter only required to extend a Non Immigrant Visa ED to continue an internship ? I’ am a little bit lost in the visa rules so I hope that there is someone here to make it clear to me. (Hope it was alright to post here, let me please know if I need to start a new topic, thnks)

There is no extension you can apply for. Tourist visas are only issued by embassies or consulates.

You could leave and re-enter the country to get a 30 day visa exempt entry it the country you are from qualifies for it by air or by land to get a 15 day entry unless you are from a G7 country that get a 30 day entry.

You actually have to hand in your application with a minimum of 30 days left on your current 1 year extension of stay expires. Any public holidays mean you have to hand in your application earlier.

There is no requirement to do the extension 30 days early. It could be done on the last day and they would do the under consideration stamp which allow you to stay until the extension is approved. The stamp has a report back date 30 days from when the stamp was done or from the end of the current permit to stay (depends upon the office where done). The report back date is just that and does not mean the under consideration period ends then..

I have to respectfully disagree. My extension of stay is being processed today (it failed the first attempt at submission).

Our company has been informed the application must be presented at Chaeng Wattana 30 days before expiration of the previous extension, and then before that because of Songkraan.

I'm not saying immigration is acting according to the law, I'm explaining what they have told our company.

I would prefer it to be the way you suggest because my last date of submission (according to them) is this Tuesday.

I'll post more about the process (first time our company has done it without using an agent) when everything is completed.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

I have to respectfully disagree. My extension of stay is being processed today (it failed the first attempt at submission).

Our company has been informed the application must be presented at Chaeng Wattana 30 days before expiration of the previous extension, and then before that because of Songkraan.

I'm not saying immigration is acting according to the law, I'm explaining what they have told our company.

I would prefer it to be the way you suggest because my last date of submission (according to them) is this Tuesday.

I'll post more about the process (first time our company has done it without using an agent) when everything is completed.

Even if you apply 45 days before, the under consideration period will still be 30 days from the expiry of your current permission to stay and the one year extension, when granted, will be one calendar year after the same expiry date.

The person who informed you as to what you state above is somewhat confused about the extension application procedures.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Something must have been lost in translation or for some reason you are a special case. No law applies; some offices will only accept extension applications within 30 days, others like CW will do it within the last 45 days. Being told you need to apply with more than 30 days remaining would be the exception to the rule.

Your first post appeared to be a statement ii is needed for all extensions which is not correct. Not sure why you were told that for your extension.

I have no idea either, but that was from immigration officer at the business section at Chaeng Wattana. I don't speak enough Thai to tell you she said that, but my assistant is Thai and speaks very good English, so I doubt she mistranslated.

As I said earlier, when the process is over I'll do a post with scans of the immigration forms and everything else that happened. I hope it will help others as when I asked about renewing an extension based on a non imm B visa there was no information available.

At the minute the company has to prepare documents for the next try on Monday.

• Like 1

I just spoke to the person who went to Chaeng Wattana today. It's a different story now :/

The officer our employee spoke to today agrees with everyone here that they will only accept the application form a maximum of 30 days in advance.

This completely contradicts the first person we spoke to, but it is much better for us as we now have more time to prepare the documents to produce that are not part of the list of documents that they are requesting.

We need to visit the DBD and Social Fund to do this, plus supply other company documents and another covering letter.

Overall I'm relieved we have another month to do this. It's not a straightforward process at all.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your answer. When there is no extension I can apply for I think I will have an “overstay problem”. However I will arrive in Thailand on the 29th of March and start my internship on the 1st of April to the 30th June which is 91 days plus 3 days in March makes 94 days. I will pay the penalty for the 4 days overstay on the airport when I am leaving the country but I’ am afraid the authorities will refuse me a tourist visa when I re-enter. Am I right ? Is it possible to arrive in Thailand the 29, 30 and 31 of March on the free entree Tourist Visa than 91 days on my Non Ed Visa and than leaving the country to re-enter ? This way I will only have 1 day overstay.

Thank you very much for your answer. When there is no extension I can apply for I think I will have an “overstay problem”. However I will arrive in Thailand on the 29th of March and start my internship on the 1st of April to the 30th June which is 91 days plus 3 days in March makes 94 days. I will pay the penalty for the 4 days overstay on the airport when I am leaving the country but I’ am afraid the authorities will refuse me a tourist visa when I re-enter. Am I right ? Is it possible to arrive in Thailand the 29, 30 and 31 of March on the free entree Tourist Visa than 91 days on my Non Ed Visa and than leaving the country to re-enter ? This way I will only have 1 day overstay.

The immigration officer will use your visa when you arrive in the country, it is extremely unlikely s/he will allow you any "free" days.

You might be able to avoid the overstay by applying for a 7 day extension of stay (1900Bh) at an immigration office toward the end of your 90 day stay.

Tourist visas can only be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate and are not available at the airport or within Thailand.

If you only intend staying for a short term on your return you can get a "visa exempt " entry when you arrive. This will provide a 30 day stay which can be extended for another 30 days at an immigration office for a 1900 Bht. fee.

Yes it is my intention to stay for a short term on my return, less than 30 days. However I didn’t knew the existence of a 7 day extension. When I might be able to avoid the overstay by applying for that 7 day extension at an immigration office should be great and a solution in my case. Thanks for mentioning it !

Edited by Danique

So when my application for extension is not approved they allow me 7 days to exit. Do you think they also allow me to re-enter after I have left so that I can get a "visa exempt" ? And can I re-enter on the same day as I have left the country by booking par example a return flight to Kuala Lumpur ?