Partial solar eclipse to be seen in Thailand on March 9

webfact

Partial solar eclipse to be seen in Thailand on March 9
Kwaang Siripoom

f1.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The Thai Astronomy Institute has revealed that a partial eclipse of the sun will be visible in Thailand on the morning of March 9.

The eclipse is set to start at around 6.20am and should last for more than two hours before it is expected to end at approximately 8.40am

Five eclipse viewing stations will be setup in Chiang Mai, Chachoengsao, Nakhon Ratchasima and Songkhla for people to view the eclipse which will also be broadcast on the astronomical institute’s website at http://www.narit.or.th/en/.

Dr. Sarun Posayajinda, Assistant Director of the Astronomy Research Institute, revealed the partial eclipse that it will be seen in some parts of Thailand in the early morning of Wednesday March 9, and the institute will provide 5 viewing stations in the country including Benjasiri Park, Bangkok; the rooftop of Central Festival Shopping Center, Chiang Mai, the Astronomy Building in Plangyao district, Chachoengsao, Suranaree Technology Institute in Nakhon Ratchasima and at Samila beach mermaid zone in Songkhla.

f2.jpg

The next partial eclipse will happen again in 3 years, while a total eclipse will not be visible from Thailand for another 54 years.

On March 9, a total eclipse which will last approximately 4 minutes will be visible from Indonesia.

People are urged to enjoy the astronomical phenomenon but should avoid looking directly at the sun and ensure they are wearing protective glasses or use a pinhole projector.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-03

'Revealed' as in published. While not a secret most people do not track solar eclipses, and would rely on the the media to point out any upcoming event of interest. Jeez.

Jeez.

Indicates the revelation of something that has been hidden or kept secret.

"make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others".

Jeez.

'Revealed?' As in 'a dictator reveals that he will be going to war next week'? It was hardly a secret and isn't a Thai invention.

They use the word reveal because they know so many lottery player will be using numbers from this event for their tickets. Kind of like revealing a prize

Thais invented the Eclipse... waterfalls, Eucalyptus trees, latex rubber, silk, dams, solar energy and ....?

I know for sure coz several GF's told me so.

Show them a map of the world and then ask them to point at Thailand.... most can't and when you do the response is.."Why so small?" So the map on this report will be of little use

ask how many men have been on the moon ?

its 12 if you don't know - see what response you get

very insular...worse than Trump....

Edited by lonewolf99

IMHO only total eclipses are worth the time and effort to view, and you will need to go to specific areas of Indonesia as the nearest place to see this eclipse as total. I was going to plan a photography trip to go to see this total eclipse there but being old and forgetful I damn well forgot all about it. Now too late to plan and book it and anyway too late to save the much needed money to go there as I just could not afford it straight out of my current limited available money, as I am like most pensioners relatively poor these days though with enough to live okay here in Thailand :-).

Edited by rayw

Thais invented the Eclipse... waterfalls, Eucalyptus trees, latex rubber, silk, dams, solar energy and ....?

I know for sure coz several GF's told me so.

Show them a map of the world and then ask them to point at Thailand.... most can't and when you do the response is.."Why so small?" So the map on this report will be of little use

ask how many men have been on the moon ?

its 12 if you don't know - see what response you get

very insular...worse than Trump....

I fly back to uk on 9th march so the lunar event is in celebration of this ha ha , and trump will win the nomination of republican party and IS THE next president of the USA ha ha , lets face it its about time USA had someone in charge who knows how to run a business .

you will never forget seeing a total eclipse. amazing.

so i am walking through the underground parking at Market Village in Hua Hin and off in the corner I see these extremely bright flashes of light. Took me a second to realize someone was arc welding. I am thinking, this is Thailand and I bet the person doing the welding is not wearing safety glasses. Sure enough, the man has his face about two feet from the metal he was welding. Incredibly bright light that he was staring into. I really wanted to tell the guy to stop, you will go blind. But what can a Farang do? We don't know anything. So I go shopping and come back 20 minutes later and the poor guy is still burning his retinas out. He looked happy. Maybe it was pay day.