Are You Soccer Lovers Missing The Uk?

Katy Lock

Are you thinking about returning to the UK?

Every year more and more Brits are giving up their life in the sun to move back to the UK – last year almost 100,000 expats came home. ITV is keen to hear from Brits who have lived abroad for years without (or very rarely) visiting home, but who are now thinking about returning permanently to Britain.

Perhaps you miss your family and friends, maybe schooling is a problem for your kids, or could you be longing for the simple things? Warm beer, chocolate hobnobs or even the English weather! Are some family members longing for home while others are not so sure?

You will be flown back to Blighty and given the opportunity to test drive life in the UK. Finally the choice will be yours: to remain an expat for good or come back home.

If you are interested in taking part or if you know anyone who might be suitable, please contact Katy Lock as soon as possible by email:

<email removed - contact by pm>

Edited by Totster

Could you fly me out to Thailand to "Test Drive" life as an expat :o:D

Seriously though (unless you would like to take me up on the above) :D . I have to stay in the UK to work but hopefully that will be only for about 5 more years. Then me and the mrs (Thai) will be leaving this cold, politically correct dump, to go to LOS for good. :D

From the stories i have heard, the only good thing that a pensioner will get if they return, is an annual increase in their pension (something that for some strange reason, they do not get if living in Thailand) as opposed to living in Spain etc. :D

P.S. You get to see more live English football games in LOS, than back in the UK

Edited by mrbojangles

You are correct Mr.B.....we DO get more live football here than back home.

I think that so far this season I have only missed 2 Reading games...having said that most of our last 5 or 6 have been against high profile teams, and we are nearly through that period now (Just Liverpool and Spurs..then it should get a bit easier for a while as we will have played all the top teams..except Bolton.

However, watching the game live in the crowd is a totally different experience to watching on the televison..every real football fan knows that, but I would deffo not give up my Life here just for Football, I snatch the odd game when I return to see family and freinds, but there is absolutley NO WAY I would want to live in the UK any more. :o

TP

Sometimes I think I am mad to be living in Thailand after quitting a 55k a year job back in blighty to be here but then I think back to the cold dark mornings and the cold dark evenings and the police cameras everywhere and the biased immigration PC led world of Darth Blair and his storm troopers along with the George Orwell Bush administration pulling his strings and hey I just think that I must be mad to even consider going back to the Uk just so I can earn a good salary again.

I don't need it, I don't want it and when the first Moslem Prime Minister takes office in the year 2020 I most certainly don't want to be part of it either.

Ra Ra for Thailand... it could be worse, I could be back home in England.

Edited by Casanundra

Been in Thailand 15 years, married to Thai. What do i miss about the UK?

Top of the list (seriously) is going to watch City – the whole package of beer in the pub with brothers & mates, the game, the atmosphere, the witty comments, the football, etc – even the wife likes it and she’s been home and away in three divisions. Really miss the newspapers, especially on a Sunday. Walks in the countryside, and walking in general. Now I’m struggling to think of something else.

I do miss the UK from time to time especially during the summer. But as far as the winter goes, no thanks. It always makes me happy to be in Thailand when I watch the football on TV in December and look at all the poor souls wrapped up and freezing their tits off. :D

It would be nice if the Uk was somewhere like The Phillipines os Singapore. A short 2 hour flight and only costing 10,000 baht in travel expenses. Unfortunately, it's not and going back home is expensive and time consuming. :o

Had a season ticket at the bridge for a good few years and went to San siro for champions league game with AC Milan when Wise got equaliser, went to Stockholm for Cup winners cup final and used to love the banter every Saturday pre match in the pub, during the game and after and its one of the few things I really miss about England, getting up on a saturday morning and then off to a match. Came out to Thailand just before Abramovich took over, so never got to see them lift the title. Watching a game on ESPN doesn't come anywhre near the experience of being there live, but would I move back for that? No chance!

Edited by Tingnongnoi

Top of the list (seriously) is going to watch City – the whole package of beer in the pub with brothers & mates, the game, the atmosphere, the witty comments, the football, etc – even the wife likes it and she’s been home and away in three divisions. Really miss the newspapers, especially on a Sunday. Walks in the countryside, and walking in general. Now I’m struggling to think of something else.

I agree with Bred for a change :o

Its the only bloody thing i about England.

I still have my season ticket and i send money home every year to keep renewing it even though i dont think i will live in England again. When i go home every summer i always get in a couple of matches. As Bred wrote, its the getting up on Saturday and having a few beers. Also smelling the hot dogs and burgers when walking to the ground. Even though the atmo is not the same at grounds it still gives me a buzz when i go. Bring back standing i say. As a few have pointed out though already, i would not give up my life in Thailand, no matter how much i love Utd.

I agree with Bred for a change :o

Its the only bloody thing i about England.

I still have my season ticket and i send money home every year to keep renewing it even though i dont think i will live in England again. When i go home every summer i always get in a couple of matches. As Bred wrote, its the getting up on Saturday and having a few beers. Also smelling the hot dogs and burgers when walking to the ground. Even though the atmo is not the same at grounds it still gives me a buzz when i go. Bring back standing i say. As a few have pointed out though already, i would not give up my life in Thailand, no matter how much i love Utd.

Talking of season tickets, i got my first City one when i was 12 (family had 4 season tickets). As i moved south to work, and then overseas nearly 20 years ago, i obviously didn't renew. Went to a game a few seasons back and borrowed a season ticket off our kids mate as he was away on business. Sat there at half-time and started thumbing through the SS book and got a shock to see it was in my bloody name! Turns out my brothers have kept it going for close on 5 years.

although i'm not a pom, the posts above bring back memories. grew up in the hunter valley of nsw australia. must have been the only town in nsw that had the real football as the tows sport.

every sunday during the winter months, my family would wake up and get ready for the 3 o'clock kick off. home or away. don't think we missed a match all through my childhood. loved it! every kid at school wanted to be a "bear" name of the team.

as for leaving los to be able to experience it again. no way. too much to lose over here. as with some other posts on here, don't want to work and lose 33% in tax. struggle to pay the bills.and generally have to watch the p's and q's everywhere. espn and star sports on sat and sunday, and a little reminiscing fill the hole.