Making salami from Thai fermented sausage

Kenny202

A friend gave us some what I think is fermented sausage the other day. Pinkish pork sausage loosely packed in long little plastic bags about 5 inches long. The taste is delicious and I reckon would be great on Pizza etc. Anyone know what it is or what I am talking about? Once you pulled it out of the bag its not quite firm enough, crumbly. I was wondering if there would be any way to dry and cure it further to make it more like salami, sliceable etc? Maybe smoke it somewhat. Does it last a long time?

I would think what you have is a finished product. Trying to step in and prolong its life at this point could cause problems. Adding a few flavors via some spices or sauce is diffrent than trying to further cure it. Curing is a science and it is fairly easy to get a handle on it with the correct ingridients. Dry and wet curing requires diffrent stuff.

Please try TGM's ( Thai German Meat) salami. As good as anywhere in Europe.

Please Google TGM, they've got a website with all goodies.

TGM only does 2 types of salami, and you can't order from the website - so not a lot of point looking at it.

You have "Naem" I think. Thai: "แหนม"

p20090619191705N2cRaPYC5TBGSXYVWAUzsXFmD

How it is made.

From Wikipedia:

Naem has on occasion been contaminated with parasites such as Taenia solium and Trichinella spiralis and enteropathogenic bacteria such as coliform bacteria and Salmonella. It has been demonstrated that Salmonella growth is inhibited by the formation of lactic acid during the fermentation process. Use of the starter culture Lactobacillus curvatus has been demonstrated to prevent "the outgrowth of pathogenic bacteria" in naem. Naem is sometimes treated with irradiation.

Regulations on bacterial content

The bacterial content in Thai sour pork products is regulated. There should not be more than 0.1 grams (0.0035 oz) of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Staphylococcus aureus not more than 0.1 grams (0.0035 oz), Yersinia enterocolitica not more than 0.1 grams (0.0035 oz), Listeria monocytogenes not more than 0.1 grams (0.0035 oz), Clostridium perfringens not more than 0.1 grams (0.0035 oz), Fungi less than 10colony per gram, Trichinellaspiralis less than 100 grams (3.5 oz). If any of these bacteria exist at higher levels than described above it may cause sickness.

Thats the one mate! Bloody awesome sausage. Just got one out of the fridge before and it has actually set firmer now and easily sliced. Really delicious and cant wait to try on Pizza. Salami Ive found here is pretty ordinary and expensive. I love the garlic sour taste. We just had some in fried rice, delicious!