Changing to Thai Licence: do I get same driving categories as before?

Tapster

It might be possible, and happens many times, the authorities also want to see the International Driving License!

So get it.

You are correct, the UK licence will not get you a Thai license, you need the international licence.

I had a current UK Licence, an expired 5 year Thai licence and they made me do everything, the computer test, the video, the reactions and the practical driving test.

That was because of your expired Thai licence, nothing to do with idp/UK licence.

I am just hijacking this topic don't want to open another one

my Thai nephew just obtained a Thai international licences

can he use this to drive in Australia ? I know he can not use

his normal Thai license which is prohibited in Australia

As visitor he can use his Thai 5 year licence.

It might be possible, and happens many times, the authorities also want to see the International Driving License!

So get it.

Not necessary. Myself, as well as 6 or 7 foreign colleagues from US, Germany and other European countries have gone through the process in Bangkok and/ or Phuket. Nobody's ever been asked for an international license. johng's post is accurate.

You will need to show a residence certificate (available from your embassy or from immigration), or a work permit. Also you need a "health certificate" which any licensed physician can issue. I got mine from local dermatologist for 50 Baht.

You will need 'Proof of Address' available from the local cop shop.

So get it.

I have my paper type L in Europe, which is valid for life time !!

If I would change to ID card type, I will get limited for 5 years,

than test again;

So I will keep my paper type,

so that means I have to get a full test to do ??

@Shiver

Good work!

Was any tea money involved, or just a persuasive manner?

laugh.png

I don't recall exactly, but I think the whole thing was about about 300baht. I know we did get sent to immigration for some reason though (probably a note for proof of address).

Of course he can,for 3 months.

So get it.

than test again;

If living here, your paper European licence is of no value.

than test again;

The only way to know for sure is to go to your local Department of Land Transportation and ask them if they will accept a paper licence.

I've heard that some have been excepted, some haven't been excepted , some had to get a translation into English from their embassy

and some had to have it notarized + variations of these.

It all seems to be up to the official at that particular time and place what is acceptable and what's not.

Last Year I got my first temporary Car and Motorbike licences in Kanchanaburi,Doctors note and certificate of residence(from the Amphur,Immigration doesn't issue them in Kanchanaburi),only need one copy for both licences).

They didn't want my I.D.P or my paper UK Licence,only the plastic card version.

Took the colour and depth tests,no video or actual driving test/s,but this year I had to sit thru the Video.

2 separate licences are issued to you,about 300B.

The temporary licences are now 2 years,as advised,check with your local Driving center,saves a lot of time.

Good luck

An update from the OP:

I now have 2-year, Thai car and motorcycle licences, from Phuket Land Transport Office.

As has been said, these are two separate cards, requiring two separate application forms, two original (not copies) medical certificates, two original residence certificates and two sets of passport copies and driving licence copies.

I had downloaded an application form from the internet and the lady at the Office rejected it, replacing it with Phuket's own version which was set out completely differently. So, it's probably not worth using a form you find online unless you're sure it's the one for your provincial Office.

Arrived at the office at 08:10 and already 15 people in the queue in front of me. The queue moved quite fast and then I had a reaction-time test and a test where I had to call out the colours lit up in front of me, one after another. The colours were red, green and yellow and they came in a random order, approximately 1 second apart.

There was no test for colourblindness or other eyesight issue, however the medical examination had included a colourblindness test, so this may be a Phuket thing.

It was 9am by then and I waited until 10:00 am to watch an instructional video during which I had a very interesting conversation with a man from Ireland on topics ranging from how Intel make and test CPU chips, to the hell that was North Atlantic convoys in the Second World War. Other people played on their phones and a few even watched the screen. I saw enough out of the corner of my eye to know that I wasn't missing anything.

Next it was downstairs again to pay 160 THB, then on to have my photo taken (another 120 THB here, I think) and wait about 5 minutes until I was given my licences.

All very efficient and finished by approximately 11:30 am, in time for a pre-lunch beer.

Notes:

• There was no computer-based test, or questions of any sort.
  • My UK photo licence was sufficient to allow me to seamlessly transfer to a Thai licence, whereas my poor wife (with a South African licence) must return in May (yes, 25th May!!) to do the full driving test.
  • I think there's an important point here: if you don't have an EU licence, and possibly the USA an some other countries (but I don't know which), you will have to take the full test unless you have an International Driving Permit which is issued in your home country. We would have got an IDP in South Africa if we'd known, and then done the test soon after arriving in Thailand.
  • I was allowed to keep my UK driving licence. Or rather, I didn't offer them my licence after showing that I had one. I will retain my UK licence and renew it when necessary. I don't know if this is strictly legal but I'd rather have my UK licence as well as the Thai ones.
Edited by Tapster

Important update re: renewing UK licence

The following is an email reply from the DVLA.

"I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is no longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country."

It is illegal to renew a UK licence while permanently living abroad. You cannot do it by using a family member's address or your mailing address in the UK. You must be a UK resident to renew a UK driving licence.

• 1 month later...

Just done motorbike and car license at pattaya. Firstly i was advised to go to British Embassy in BKK to get affirmation of residency. Parked in tesco's at On Nut sky train to embassy, 30mins in embassy and back in pattaya by 12. On monday went to test center thinking it would be closed as it was labour day, but it was open as i had my documents had them copied and went for it. Took my passport, UK card license, medical certificate and letter from embassy. Given copies of driving permit back as not needed,

This is how it went.

Arrived at 1;30 went and had photocopies done opposite.

Went inside building was told to go upstairs, documents checked had to sign and telephone number, 1;45, told to wait for eye test

Eye test and start stop at 2;00. told to wait for picture.

2;15 picture done, wait for license.

2;22 both licences done, leaving the building a very happy chappie.

Staff excellent, the only drawback is concentrating listening for your name with thai phones being messaged.

Sorry it was 2nd of May, now proud owner of both motorbike and car licence. Could not believe how easy it wentclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

There is no such hing as an international driving licence is is only a 'permit' which is a translation of your home driving licence, which you must have, into a number of languages. In over forty years I have never been asked for it irrespective of the country I was in. When I applied for a Thai licence I had my UK one translated into Thai, which the authorities here accepted and stated that is what they would prefer. Result, colour test only nothing else was required.

A UK driving licence is only valid for three months when out of the country and yes they do know when because they have access to the British Passport data base.

. In Pattaya they always ask, if you have they not make money...