Buy or rent a motorbike

jim3778

Looking for some friendly advice. I visit Pattaya 5 times a year mostly for a month at any 1 time.

I always hire a PCX 150 for the duration of my trip but have been thinking about buying rather than renting. I have a thai driving licence and a safe place to store while I am away.

What's people's that's on this?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

Jimmy

if you always rented a sturdy and reliable motobike - I am speaking about perfectly functioning brakes - I see no reason why you should buy.

However if your plans reach further than 5-7 years of continueing 5 months stays, to own one makes absolute sense. Just make sure there's a motosai shop nearby who can charge the battery that will eventually discharge a bit when not in use.

There is a point in when a combustion vehicle is not in constant use but parked away, it will detoriate faster, and in the tropics, the quick rusting away of metal objects is common. Even when parked inside a protected environment, it should be considered. Covers and a cool & shaded parking spot is advisable.

Edited by crazygreg44

Thanks for that crazygreg44.

The thing that got me thinking about buying was the fact you never know the condition of the bike your renting and on my last trip the bike mechanically wasn't 100%. I can cover the bike and it would be shaded in a secure location and a garage located right next door. So I think probably best to buy.

Thanks again for your feedback

check with Mittyon at the corner of Pattaya Tai and the third road. We bought our new bike there. They do the paperwork for your, registering your purchase. They are the largest dealership in Pattaya and run a no-frills service.

yes, opposite Tony's Gym. The price for the PCX depends on the state of customizing, Mittyon are always offering some PCX's with customized equipment. I think the standard model is something like 69.000 THB but it could be more, not sure

BTW I bought the Honda 150 for 102.000 THB

today I would opt for the 150 Yamaha . . it was not yet on the market when we bought the Honda

with the little extra power over all the other 110-125 riders, you are the king of city roads in Patters . . . .

a glimpse on a eye quicker, a better start at the red light changing green. Always eyes open and antenna's up ! Use the rearview mirrors, Expect the unexpected. Pattaya traffic can be dangerous. A little extra power comes in handy.

Edited by crazygreg44

pcx's are about 85,000 on the road, click 125 are about 56,000, yamaha gt125 is about 45,000, somewill be along to correct me, I'm sure

buy is better than renting,

what do you normally pay per month to rent, as a matter of interest.

edit - just keep the book ( and any copies) and the bike seperated when not in country

Edited by steve187

Go and buy one. Before going home disconnect the battery, because the electronics of the bike are always awake and tend to slurp energy from the battery. Remember: the PCX does NOT have a kickstarter, so you are lost without the battery. On the other hand, a battery charger is not too expensive and serves well as a security blanket even if your name is not Linus.

>>. I do plan to spend 6 months at a time in Thailand but that's not for another year or 2 down the line due to commitments back home. <<...Wait till then .Bikes depreciate about 10% a year for the first 3 years .